Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Advice flights/plane. Meeting SO for the first time!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Advice flights/plane. Meeting SO for the first time!

So as the title says, we've finally got to the conclusion that we're going to spend 28th of june to the 29th of July 2014 together!

I just have to really talk it through with my parents tomorrow, so we can settle everything and get the tickets, anyway.

I'm going to Rome in March with my school, and that will be my first ever plane flight. So when I'm going to see my SO it will be the 2nd time flying with a plane for me, so I'm slightly nervous as of what to do.

Direct flight wouldn't really be a problem, but I have to change plane once, so I'm not totally sure what to do with that.

So yeah, I'm a flight/plane newbie as you could say so I would really just appreciate some good advice on being on a plane for the first few times as of what to really take care about and so on, I hope you understand.

Thanks

Hej! Ikke så tit man ser andre danskere!

Maybe it would be better with some more specific questions about flying and changing flights. Are there something in particular that you worry about or feel unsure about.?
    I also think you'll feel more at rest after your first flight to Rome. You will realize that taking flights aren't a big deal at all.

Comment

Haha nej! Det er rigtigt nok

Well, I guess the only big issue for me is the change of plane. I have no idea where to go really, but so far I said to myself that I would just go ask the staff and show my ticket so they could show me where to go etc.
      I know that flights aren't such a big deal, but everything is just so confusing and all, but as you say, it will most likely feel better after that flight to Rome.

Comment

Yes after your first flight you'll have a way better feeling of how an airport actually looks like and such and how to navigate them.
        When you change your flight you follow the sign that says transfer, along the way there should be several screens showing "departure flights" go and look at those screens, check your ticket for your next departure time and destination. Then the information about your next gate should be written on there. Like "A6" or something. Then there's signs showing you the way. If it's a big airport, then it'll just write the letters at first, like "gates A, E & F" and then an arrow showing you to go straight, to the left or right etc. Keep follow them and then they will start showing numbers like "Gates: A1-A15" to the left "Gates A16-A24" to the right and something like that. In most cases you do not need to talk to the staff, just follow the signs. Of course if you do feel lost, you can always contact some of the staff.

If there is a long transfer time between your flight then sometimes the gate is not on the screen yet. Just wait around till it shows up. (if all gates are in the same direction you can walk till they start separating and then wait around).

I remember my first flight alone... many years ago. I also felt a little nervous about whether I would be able to find the right gate and etc. because I have been on airplanes ever since I was a little kid, but I just followed the others.
        In the end I turned out to be just as simple as people try to tell you. There's signs for anything in the airport.

Comment

Hi! I understand that it can be scary flying on airplane for the first time.

The flight attendants will be friendly with you, and you can ask them if you need anything. Don't be afraid to ask for something. Since you're flying internationally, there should be plenty of food options.

When moving through the airport/airplane, move briskly but be considerate. Both airports and airplanes can get cramped.

In the event that you get lost, don't be afraid to ask for help! Even shop keepers can help point you in the right direction.

Good luck!

-Loori

Comment

Okay so I have a little update for this thread I guess.

So yesterday I had a long discussion with my parents about this plane thing, aaaaand.
            My dad won't send me if I can't get a direct flight from Copenhagen to Izmir. Which we are quite certain is not possible, so.

My dad was like, "What if you get lost in the airport in Istanbul? You will have nothing to do. There is not a lot of people employeed at airports anymore, so there is no one to ask for help and people are too busy and confused about their own flights, so you need to know everything and exactly where to go on your own, and don't forget that you have never been there and never seen the airport etc. etc. etc."

So basically what he is saying. It's true. I've never been on a plane before but I am going to Rome 3 months before this flight, but yeah.

Is my dad right? Is he exaggerating? Would it really be this "hard" for myself to go to Istanbul and get the right plane etc?

Comment

I would say he is exaggerating When I went to visit my SO to Denmark, it wasn't a direct flight either (through Prague) and it was my first flight alone. I was worried and my parents were even more worried, since I have terrible coordination ;D But trust me there is ALWAYS someone to ask at the airport. There are bureaus "Information" and really any employee can guide you, you just have to show them the ticket and ask where you should head if you can't figure out the signs. That is what I did. Just make sure there is around 2 hours or even more between the flights, for your own peace of mind.

Comment

Originally posted by Tjabby View Post

So yesterday I had a long discussion with my parents about this plane thing, aaaaand.
                My dad won't send me if I can't get a direct flight from Copenhagen to Izmir. Which we are quite certain is not possible, so.

My dad was like, "What if you get lost in the airport in Istanbul? You will have nothing to do. There is not a lot of people employeed at airports anymore, so there is no one to ask for help and people are too busy and confused about their own flights, so you need to know everything and exactly where to go on your own, and don't forget that you have never been there and never seen the airport etc. etc. etc."

So basically what he is saying. It's true. I've never been on a plane before but I am going to Rome 3 months before this flight, but yeah.

Is my dad right? Is he exaggerating? Would it really be this "hard" for myself to go to Istanbul and get the right plane etc?
                That is a massive exaggeration. I guarantee you that there will be somebody there who can help you. Airports are also very traveler friendly. There are lots of signs pointing you in the right direction, in English. Just look out for a display board telling you what gate your flight will be departing from.

If I of all people can make it onto 3 separate flights, so can you!

Comment

Airports are no big deal, and there are many people to help you, if you need it, and airports employ huge amounts of people. Has your father flown very many times? It sounds like he hasn't been to many airports before, and really, if you go to any airport's website, it gives you the layout, and after your flight to Rome, you'll have a good idea what to expect. All you need to do is make sure you have plenty of time, 2+ hours at least, between flights, and you'll be fine. Also, you'll have plenty to do, airports have all kinds of shops, restaurants and other recreation to keep you entertained. Flying, even with layovers, really isn't that bad.
                  Our separation of each other is an optical illusion of consciousness. ~Albert Einstein

Comment

He is definitely exaggerating. Trust me, some of my relatives, who can't even speak English have made it through international flights and navigating airports and exchanges absolutely fine. Hehe :P So you will be absolutely fine. Just look for the gates etc. on your ticket, follow the signs, and if in doubt, ask! When you get to the gate, you'll be sure it's the right flight, because it'll have the flight number and everything on it. If you think you're lost, just ask anyone. There are tonnes of people employed at the airport, from shopkeepers, cleaners, people at information desks ... true, you might not get very far asking other tourists, but you will definitely be able to get reliable help from the employees at the airport. Even if you find a flight attendant, or employees from other airlines, they'll be able to help you! You will be fine. Good luck, not that you'll need it!

Comment

I just got back from the UK at the end of August, and had 3 flight changes, and pregnant. I was like you before my first flight. Probably worse, I was freaking out, I asked my SO to go over everything with me ten times, Got the map of the airport, was just scared I was going to get lost or kidnapped. But feel at ease. Even the big airports aren't hard, the worst part is probably all the walking. Just always have your passport and ticket with you. On your ticket is your flight info and gate number. There are tons of signs throughout the airport, may take a moment to find, but you look for your flight info then head to that gate, and wait around till people start lining up to board. If your hours ahead, sometimes your flight info won't be on the board just yet, but just relax and ask someone. Everything is announced too, they announce when the flights boarding, and which gate number. You most likely will be bored though, waiting around, once you find your gate, and know when its boarding, you can then walk around all the shops or eat to kill time
                      Last edited by kiara_silver; September 20, 2013, 12:15 PM. Reason: typo
                      I love you Nathan <3
                      sigpic
                      5/25/09 <3

Comment

International airports are designed to be accessible to people who speak all sorts of different languages. You speak English, so that is a good advantage, as there will pretty much always be someone who speaks English and some signs in English at an international airport. Many of the flight attendants on your flight will also speak several languages, including yours if you are coming from your country. You can ask them questions like where you will need to go or what you will need to do at your transfer airport if you are unsure. Usually they announce on the flight which gates you will need for your connecting flight. When I was going to see my SO last year, they announced pretty much every connecting flight EXCEPT mine, so I stopped and asked one of the flight attendants as I was leaving the plane and she checked for me and told me where to go. Everyone is there to help you.
                        Canadian permanent residence APPROVED!
                        Closed the Distance: 09/26/2019
                        Engaged: 09/26/2020

Comment

I just got back from spending the summer in Brazil. When I went there, my brother was with me and he did all the navigation. But he left early because he had to go back to college early, so I had to return by myself! It was my first time and honestly it was fine! I was terrified at first but I read all the signs in the terminals, asked questions if I wasn't sure where to go, and I hurried so I'd find where I was going before I stopped for food or anything. It really isn't that bad!

Also, in international airports, you can always find SOMEONE that speaks English if you can't speak their language. Don't worry about that. Your dad is exaggerating but he's just worried about you! Maybe after your trip to Rome, he'll come around. My parents were really against me traveling internationally by myself but they came around to it. It'll be ok

a gente se completa neste abraço

Comment

Thanks for all the replies, you amazing people!

Okay so I can see that my dad is exaggerating. So.. I'm not sure what I do now?

How can I convince both of my parents that I will be fine and there will be a lot of different opportunities for me to get help when I'm in Istanbul?

We're chosing flight tickets the way so I will have 3 hours to stay there just to be sure for everything too.

Comment

Which airport are you flying into? You can look up information about the airport and look for reviews online to get information on things like accessibility and experience with service staff, as well as get general information from places like Wikipedia, such as how many terminals it has, which terminals you will need (most international airports have one terminal devoted to international flights and one to domestic flights), etc. You can even sometimes find layouts of the airport and map out where you will need to go in advance.
                              Canadian permanent residence APPROVED!
                              Closed the Distance: 09/26/2019
                              Engaged: 09/26/2020

Comment

Working...
                              X