Need a point of view

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need a point of view

Not sure how I should feel but one week my SO's sister went outta town for a week. So my SO asked me to help him make spaghetti on video chat, and I was so thrilled to help him since there is only so much one can do from so far. I felt like he needed me, mind you we have been together for two years, talk everyday, so I go a little offended when I was giving him directions on how to make it. He decided to call his sister to make sure I was telling him right. Really upset me, so he got off the phone and said yes my sis said exactly how you told me to do it. Okay if I may go on a rant but I am 25 yrs old and made spaghetti a million times for my son and I and he knows this. I just am hoping to god when he gets here and we are married he doesn't call his sister to make sure I am making dinner right...lol. Don't know what to think but it has been bothering me since, can I get another perspective in this please?

Is it possible that this is a cultural thing? I don't know enough about Indian cultures/traditions to say for sure, but I know that the relationship between brothers and sisters is considered special. Could it be that it wasn't so much about his lack of faith in your abilities, and more as a respect thing to his sister?

Regardless of where it comes from, I see your point if he does that about a lot of things - if he double checks every single thing he tells you, I would talk to him and tell him it's not ok. However if it was just this instance... let it go. It's not worth stressing out over spaghetti
    So, here you are
    too foreign for home
    too foreign for here.
    Never enough for both.

Ijeoma Umebinyuo, Diaspora Blues

Comment

Okay ma'am but not many know about the indian culture. And it's not like that every where, and yes it's more that he asks for her approval for everything, so yes it's more than spaghetti...lol....he says he wants to get away from his family but also wants them to like me eventually but I don't think that's going to happen because I have a 2 yr old son and unmarried, and that's the part of the indian culture that will never be accepted just lucky he accepts it. It all seems like a huge mess at times.

Comment

I completely understand it being annoying that he would ask her approval for everything, I mean he's a grown man! All you can do I guess is try to make him understand how you feel when it seems he distrusts your advice and goes to "confirm" it with his sister...
        So, here you are
        too foreign for home
        too foreign for here.
        Never enough for both.

Ijeoma Umebinyuo, Diaspora Blues

Comment

Thank you soo much for that Grown Man comment, and your advice but of course I should expect these little challenges since we are from two way different cultures.

Comment

Working...
          X