Getting married internationally

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getting married internationally

Hello everyone! I just had a few questions for anyone that has closed the distance between countries or is in the process. I live in New York and my fiancé is from Amazonas, Brazil. He's visiting me in December and we want to get married then. That would be about 6 or so months before we could permanently close the distance. Is that possible?

How do we apply for the different visas? I honestly don't know. We are just starting out and getting an idea of what we want to do. I'm hoping on some paid firefighting or police/sheriff's deputy jobs. So we're 99% sure we are going to live in the states. He wants to apply to a masters degree here, could he initially just apply for a student visa after he gets accepted somewhere (but then he couldn't work)? Where would getting married put us?

I'm sorry if my questions are silly, I honestly don't know where to begin! Any advice at all would be wonderful. Thanks

a gente se completa neste abraço

Not to be condescending, but have you tried Googling the various options or looking around VisaJourney? You should be able to find what forms you would need and what evidence of your relationship you would need etc. online, as well as any information regarding student or work visas. At the same time, VisaJourney, from what I recall, has a guesstimation of visa times that's generally more accurate than the immigration sites themselves.

Comment

On my phone and slightly drunk so this won't be as in depth as it should.

Go to visa journey.

6 months after marriage to visa in hand? In your dreams. Expect more a year or so.

Comment

Originally posted by lucybelle View Post
        On my phone and slightly drunk so this won't be as in depth as it should.

Go to visa journey.

6 months after marriage to visa in hand? In your dreams. Expect more a year or so.
        The K1 fiance visa is going quickly at the moment, so it would be possible for them to do that in 6 months if they were lucky and got everything in right the first time. The CR1 is taking longer but still should take less than a year though

Comment

If he can get student visa, J1, it is easy to get. I arranged mine in 3 months, but could be faster. Although for schools and master in USA there are a lot of prerequisites for internationals that differ for every school. I did an internship so it was all fine for me, but master and really enrolling in a medium to good school is a hassle..
          But on J1 you can earn money, just read the immigration website!

Comment

One thing about student visas is that you have to prove you're not planning on immigrating when you get to the U.S... if he's married to you that won't fly, I think.
            So, here you are
            too foreign for home
            too foreign for here.
            Never enough for both.

Ijeoma Umebinyuo, Diaspora Blues

Comment

Originally posted by kacie View Post
              The K1 fiance visa is going quickly at the moment, so it would be possible for them to do that in 6 months if they were lucky and got everything in right the first time. The CR1 is taking longer but still should take less than a year though
              True, but they say they are planning on getting married. So that means CR1.

Currently, the petition approval time for a CR1 is taking 7-9 months. And that's just petition time. I know, because I've been waiting 6.5 months for my petition approval. (and just got a letter from USCIS saying they expect it to take an additional 6 months) Since the new section is opening up in Kansas, a lot of people expect approval times to go down significantly starting in October. But no one knows, it's all a huge crapshoot.

Since there can be lots of unexpected complications in the visa process, it is always good to assume it will take at least a year from petition sent, to visa in hand. 6 months is not something I'd be willing to bet on, even for fiance visas.

Comment

6 months is not something I'd be willing to bet on, even for fiance visas.
                Not something I'd do either! I was worried when we sent ours off it wouldn't be enough time even though it's going fast now

Comment

Currently, the petition approval time for a CR1 is taking 7-9 months. And that's just petition time. I know, because I've been waiting 6.5 months for my petition approval. (and just got a letter from USCIS saying they expect it to take an additional 6 months) .
                  Sorry this happened to you I hope it goes much smoother in the future, after that,

VISA application and getting married.. they are both very very big deals. There some other threads on the site you can read to get a good start, and then you should do some serious research before making any further plans. visajourney, uscis site .. etc.

Comment

Thanks guys I'll look up visa journey. I meant 6 months as in that's when his contract ends and he'd be able to leave his job.

a gente se completa neste abraço

Comment

Working...
                    X