Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Plane tickets getting more expensive?

Hey guys,
    Is it just me, or are international plane tickets getting more expensive??
    I'm looking to buy a plane ticket to visit my SO in Germany over Christmas, and I have not found anything for under $1000 :/
    While that is the average price of a ticket from Los Angeles to Berlin, I was able to buy a round trip ticket last year to visit him over Christmas for $700! I bought it right around this time, and the date I flew out last year is the exact same date I plan to fly out this year. I guess I shouldn't be surprised, seeing how this is a new year and all...but I'm wondering if anyone else has noticed higher ticket prices as well?
    Also, are there any travel sites that you find particularly helpful? I feel like I've checked them all, but any tips would be greatly appreciated!
    Thanks
    Last edited by emsimes; September 25, 2013, 12:32 AM.

Originally posted by emsimes View Post
    Hey guys,
    Is it just me, or are international plane tickets getting more expensive??
    I'm looking to buy a plane ticket to visit my SO in Germany over Christmas, and I have not found anything for under $1000 :/
    While that is the average price of a ticket from Los Angeles to Berlin, I was able to buy a round trip ticket last year to visit him over Christmas for $700! I bought it right around this time, and the date I flew out last year is the exact same date I plan to fly out this year. I guess I shouldn't be surprised, seeing how this is a new year and all...but I'm wondering if anyone else has noticed higher ticket prices as well?
    Also, are there any travel sites that you find particularly helpful? I feel like I've checked them all, but any tips would be greatly appreciated!
    Thanks
    Yes, they do seem to be getting higher, part of it is due to some of the airline mergers. They are also mostly all adding and raising the cost for checked bags. British Air used to allow 2 bags for free to travel transatlantic and now they only allow one and the second bag is 100 dollars each way! It is crazy. I travel from Philly to NL area and I can't find a ticket under 1200. I am lucky enough to still have a few miles to supplement the cost this time but not looking forward to next time.

I use Kayak.com to do my initial search and then go to the sites it finds the cheapest prices at. Sometimes you can actually find good deals by going to the airlines websites direct and then looking for specials that use codes that don't show up in the bigger travel search engines like Kayak, Expedia, Orbitz, Priceline, and Travelocity.
    "Remember not only to say the right thing in the right place, but far more difficult still, to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment. "
    Benjamin Franklin

Comment

They're perhaps a little higher. Seems both of our trips this year were more expensive than last years. Not sure if that's just the time of year difference for me though. I only really check the airline websites themselves anymore. I never found a better deal using a third party.

Met online: 1/30/11
      Met in person: 5/30/12
      Second visit: 9/12/12
      Closed the distance: 1/26/13!!!

Comment

I usually look around for the cheapest at a third party website, but I only book there when there's reviews and they're mostly good.

My first trip was over edreams.com, the following over flugladen.de
        Never had problems with those websites.

Relationship began: 05/22/2012
        First Met: 03/21/2013 - 03/30/2013
        Second Visit: 06/06/2013 - 08/21/2013 ~ Proposal: 07/06/2013 ♥
        Third Visit: 10/09/2013 - 01/08/2013
        Closed the distance: 11/20/2014 ♥
        Married: 1/24/2015
        Became Resident: 9/14/2015

Comment

I was looking up tickets for June 2014 and they're way more expensive than the current price >:{ I hope I can score some promotional tickets in a few months.
          I thought of you and the years and all the sadness fell away from me - Pink Floyd

Comment

I am a real budget-ticket hunter by now and still I had to pay 60$ extra for the cheapest option compared to last year.
            I fly next week, Amsterdam-Philadephia-Baltimore return for 590$.. Not so bad
            Although it is US-crap-Airways and service is rather poor, I prefer spending my money when I'm there then on my ticket!

Comment

Yes, we've just been discussing it the other day. Also, travel schedule in our case seems to be getting worse as well there used to be 4-5 direct flights a week between our places, now it's only three, and on inconvenient days too. Seems I can't go on a weekend visit anymore without taking at least three days off work each time

Like any great relationship, it just gets better and better as the years roll on. - Steve Jobs

Comment

I've been really lucky with my tickets going to Canada so far, and I haven't noticed a major difference. I fly out in 3 days, and on this flight I paid $20 more than I did my last flight in May. My SO hasn't been so lucky with his flights here though. He's visiting in November and paid close to $200 more than he did last year for flights around the same time (I blame part of this though on him procrastinating).

I also agree that travel schedules are sucking lately. All flights seem to leave at like 5 am or 10 pm, neither of which are convenient at all for me.

Comment

I've noticed this too. Just looked at some for over Christmas and they're nearly $150 more than what they were last year even for the bad airlines. Ugh.

Comment

They are saying if this next merger goes through to expect it to get even worse.

https://www.weny.com/news/All/airlin...ed-085-13-2013
                    "Remember not only to say the right thing in the right place, but far more difficult still, to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment. "
                    Benjamin Franklin

Comment

https://www.businessweek.com/article...et-fares#r=rss

Comment

Yup the prices are sucking!! Although me and my SO havent done a christmas trip yet this will be our first one. However, everything is over $1000. Hes team leader in the army is married to a lady from germany and they used to get an allround ticket for like $700 so hopefully they can help him find a cheaper flight!!

They dont like making it easy for us LDRS

Comment

Hi there!
                          i usually go to a local travel agency to book my flights (Switzerland-Canada), they get special deals with Airlines, but even if you go there, try to go there as early as you can. booking in advance is really worth it!
                          and i also recommend to collect miles, then you get pretty good deals and e-mails when they have flights on "sale". once i got an free upgrade to the comfort economy class because i collect miles
                          good luck on finding cheap flights!

Comment

Originally posted by Swissy View Post
                            Hi there!
                            i usually go to a local travel agency to book my flights (Switzerland-Canada), they get special deals with Airlines, but even if you go there, try to go there as early as you can. booking in advance is really worth it!
                            and i also recommend to collect miles, then you get pretty good deals and e-mails when they have flights on "sale". once i got an free upgrade to the comfort economy class because i collect miles
                            good luck on finding cheap flights!
                            Most travel agents in the US won't do flights only, they make no money on them.

That said, as long as the economy here continues to grow and strengthen, airfare will continue to rise in the US. Except for very short flights, and special deals you manage to find, you can pretty much kiss cheap airfare goodbye All I can say is to set up airfare alerts with sights such as bookingbuddy.com, or airfarewatchdog.com, and be ready, in case a special comes through. Be prepared though, you won't get them for peak holiday travel, so you'll have to fly at times that may be less than ideal - Think Finland in February! That's not to say it's impossible, you could very well get lucky.
                            Our separation of each other is an optical illusion of consciousness. ~Albert Einstein

Comment

Thanks for all the responses!
                              I will definitely look at the sites you've all recommended. I'm glad I'm not the only one noticing this change...I just wish it was a change for the better
                              That being said, I better get a move on buying a ticket!
                              And for all the money we pay for flights to see our SOs, the airlines should be giving us a discount!

Comment

Working...
                              X