Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

One way airfare vs round trip = problem with customs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One way airfare vs round trip = problem with customs?

I am flying to Newfoundland CA, on a round trip ticket, in April to be with B and we will get married then.

I am staying for 90 days, then I will fly back to Texas for 2 weeks.

For the return ticket to Canada -- can I buy just a one way ticket or will that raise a red flag with Canadian customs?

We will be married, of course, but my Permanent Residency will not have come through yet. So, I can stay 6 months, then have to fly back here again for 2 weeks -- and so on until the PR comes through.

I'd rather buy one way tickets during the 6 month periods.

Did I make any sense? )))
    February 2012 -- met online
    August 2012 -- he said "I love you."
    April 2013 -- met in person
    June 2013 -- broke up
    July 2013 -- back together
    August 2013 -- 2nd visit
    October 20, 2013 -- He proposed!
    April 22, 2014 -- Married/closed the distance!

I would think it has the potential to create a problem. Especially since you plan on getting married. Do you have other proof to show your ties to back home?

Met online: 1/30/11
    Met in person: 5/30/12
    Second visit: 9/12/12
    Closed the distance: 1/26/13!!!

Comment

Hi Benni,

My sister's (now) husband moved to Canada from the USA when they got married this past spring, and dragonlady and I have looked into this process a fair bit for when we take the plunge to bring her here.

A spouse applying for sponsorship for permanent residence in Canada is treated differently than a visitor. You are not required to return to your country of origin until the application process has either been approved or declined.

As part of the permanent resident status application, you actually have to remain in Canada until the application is complete (roughly 18 months). Any travel outside of Canada before it's a done deal has a good chance of invalidating your application. Even if it doesn't, it's likely you'll have a very difficult time with customs getting back into Canada until you have P.R. status. If the application is invalidated, it means re-applying from the USA and you will have to remain in the USA until the application is processed (again, roughly 18 months). Essentially any cross-border travel is to be avoided until the P.R. application is complete.

For the flight, you will need to book a round-trip ticket, then cancel the return-trip after arriving in Canada. Based on their experience, unless you absolutely need to travel back to the USA for an emergency, I'd highly recommend you wait out the application process in Canada.

Hope that helps!

I was going to post links to the relevant information, but apparently I lurk and don't post enough. I'll have dragonlady post them for you.

Comment

posting this in name of ranakanth he hasent posted enough

Citizenship and Immigration Canada

• Sponsor your spouse, partner or children
        https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigr...sor/spouse.asp

• New conditional permanent residence measure for spouses and partners
        https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/depart...2012-10-26.asp

• Application for Permanent Residence From Within Canada – Spouse or Common-Law Partner in Canada Class (IMM 5289)
        https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/inform...ons/spouse.asp

Comment

Thank you all for your replies. I have had all the above links for a few weeks (and many more links believe me)! This PR process is very involved and we are already putting the app/docs together to be mailed after marriage.

However, I am applying Outland, rather than Inland like you did, which means I can travel back and forth during the process.

Cancelling the return ticket is an option, though. Thanks!
          February 2012 -- met online
          August 2012 -- he said "I love you."
          April 2013 -- met in person
          June 2013 -- broke up
          July 2013 -- back together
          August 2013 -- 2nd visit
          October 20, 2013 -- He proposed!
          April 22, 2014 -- Married/closed the distance!

Comment

Working...
          X