Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How long do you stay?

Hie,

I was wondering; those of you who have jobs/study that does not allow you to take regular holidays very often, will you travel over the weekend just to have some time with your SO? I discussed my work with my SO and he suggested that I could take weekend trips if I cannot come for a week. I am not sure how long I would actually get to stay, as the flight+shuttle etc. itself takes some hours each way, and more than often the cheapest tickets are for trips with extra stops. I guess if I choose weekends that are cheeper I could afford it, but somehow it seems a bit extravagant to go to another part of the world just to get like a day and a half together. Or perhaps it would be wonderful... Right now I cannot do it, but i am thinking from December onwards. Any experience with short trips to your SO?
    I made love to him only twice, she thought and looked at the man laying asleep beside her. And yet still it is as if we have been together forever, as if he has always known my life, my soul, my body, my light, my pain
    - Paulo Coelho, "Eleven minutes"

"Bız yüzyılın aşkı vardır" - We have dated since Sept. 2013. To see our full story, click here https://members.lovingfromadistance....and-our-visits

Considering I always go to the other side of the world, the shortest time I've stayed is 10-days - 2 weeks. Mostly I try to go during my holidays and then skip some extra days from classes (like 1 week), o I often can stay around 4 weeks. Though, fortunately, my SO has 4 weeks vacation very other month, so he visits me, so I still can attend my classes on a regular basis.

Comment

We're both students. Travelling to his place takes me 2 days, so I can't go for a long weekend and because of insane ticket prices. I always stay with him for a about a month (4-6 weeks) when I have time off uni. In our case, that only happens twice a year though, if we're lucky. If you can afford it and can get the time off, I would say go for it. A few days can definitely be worth it and your time apart won't be as long.

Comment

I would personally not want to travel half a day to spend what would be one night together with my SO and then go back again, which is why we try and visit for at least a week during holidays. Fortunately, my SO has quite a few long holidays and I am basically just sitting around waiting to graduate by now, and my work pays really good even if it's not reagular
        We part only to meet again ~ J.Gay

Comment

With the ticket prices and 8 hours in air plus airport time each way, I go for as long as legally allowed (90 Days)each time. We have met up in between for a shorter time in between a few times for 6-8 days and it has it's ups and downs. Up is getting to see each other and not have to wait the full 3 months in between visits. Down is the feeling that was a ton of money and schedule juggling for my work and his work and school for a few days. We did not do it this time, I am damn near dying pushing the time even beyond the 90 Day wait this time so that we could it arrange it so that he could come here for holidays and we could fly back to our "home" together till I have to leave again in 90 Days. I can't say whether or not we will do more short term meet ups, it is torture to wait so long. I have been thinking of finding a tiny studio to rent somewhere in UK for a month so that he can fly over to on the weekends but that all depends on money and work and where I can find a place in UK that doable. Some days I just want to jump a plane, some days I just want to dig in and wait my time out. It is just another messy piece of being in an LDR.
          Last edited by Hollandia; November 10, 2013, 02:24 PM.
          "Remember not only to say the right thing in the right place, but far more difficult still, to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment. "
          Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Yeah, there's no way I would travel that far for one day. For my SO and I, it required a 16 hour, $1200+ flight to see each other. The shortest visit was 10 days.

Met online: 1/30/11
            Met in person: 5/30/12
            Second visit: 9/12/12
            Closed the distance: 1/26/13!!!

Comment

[QUOTE=Alsfia;321451]I would personally not want to travel half a day to spend what would be one night together with my SO and then go back again, which is why we try and visit for at least a week during holidays. Fortunately, my SO has quite a few long holidays and I am basically just sitting around waiting to graduate by now, and my work pays really good even if it's not reagular[/QUOT]
              Well I guess in my case it would probably more like 2 (maybe 3) nights. The thing is that I am supposed to work office hours and there is really no way I could get a much as much time as a week off just when I feel like it. I used to have a very flexible job, but as of not that is not something I can do unless I want to get fired. So apart from weekends there is only winter holiday (but then he has just been here), easter, summer vacation, fall holiday and Christmas. And he works a 10 hour shift all week most of the year, and studies in the months he is not working. He can take off 10 days in between his studies to see me over Christmas but in February he starts working again. If he finishes all his exams as planned it might give him more time to see me, but then I guess he would just come an stay for a month. Ideally I would like to see him at least every other month if I could manage that financially, but if I loose my job I will not have money...so I have to behave.
              I made love to him only twice, she thought and looked at the man laying asleep beside her. And yet still it is as if we have been together forever, as if he has always known my life, my soul, my body, my light, my pain
              - Paulo Coelho, "Eleven minutes"

"Bız yüzyılın aşkı vardır" - We have dated since Sept. 2013. To see our full story, click here https://members.lovingfromadistance....and-our-visits

Comment

The longest visit we have ever had is 4 weeks. A usual visit is a week or two. When the weather is nice we will meet halfway and do short visits for a long weekend of 3 nights. We both work so really long visits are not possible at this point. If I had the money for short weekend trips, I would do it in a heartbeat though. It's usually a total of 6-8 hours (depending on layovers) for me to fly to him. That isn't terribly long in my opinion.

Comment

ugh finally a thread for me

Uhm, we only visited once and it was three weeks, which was during a break we both shared as students. Now we're both working and we feel like if I just go for a week, the ticket price and loss of wages isn't worth it if he isn't going to be able to take the time off as well. He's saving his vacation time to take a chunk of time off in July so we can spend a couple weeks together.
                  Last edited by kittyo9; November 10, 2013, 08:32 PM.
                  Canadian permanent residence APPROVED!
                  Closed the Distance: 09/26/2019
                  Engaged: 09/26/2020

Comment

We would not be able to take weekend trips as like Dez, its 15+ hours and currently at least $1400 return ticket. Our longest visit was 3 months, and then I visited there for 6 weeks (which I left my job for) with a year of living together in between.

Comment

When we were LD we would visit for a week. We lived about a 6 hour plane ride apart.

Comment

My SO and I usually visit for around 4-6 weeks if possible. Our longest visit was for three months this past summer when I went to him. I loved it. Plus, I felt like I got more for my money that way. A $1300 ticket with a 21 hour trip is sooo worth it for three months.
                        sigpic

To read our love story, click here.

Comment

Well we have only 1 hour flight to visit each other (about 60€ roundtrip) so for us a weekend is worth it for sure. However, if possible we try to at least make it a long weekend, e.g. me flying there already on Thursday and leaving Monday morning or something like that. I think our shortest visit has been 3 days, 2 nights. Longest 2 weeks.

Comment

We do weekend trips all the time. Well, I do as I visit more often - he tends to save his days off and then come for like a week at a time.
                            Mind you, we're relatively close, there's a direct flight with a low-cost airline and flight time is only 2 hours. However, flight schedule is not so good for us so the weekend visit is never just the weekend for me, I have to take at least Friday off too, and usually Thursday as well.

I figured out in the beginning that for us it's better to do shorter but more frequent visits than to wait for a while and then do a longer one. I think it's really worked for our relationship. However, the longer we're together, the more I think we should be having longer visits now even if it means not seeing each other as often. It's just that lately those 'love you and leave you' visits seem to make us both feel sadder than no visit at all.

Like any great relationship, it just gets better and better as the years roll on. - Steve Jobs

Comment

We had everything from weekend visits with only one night stay to five+ week visits. We were a 1,5h flight or 11h train ride apart.

Most frequently we had weekend visits or long weekend vists from Thursday or Friday to Sunday (night) or Monday.

Być tam, zawsze tam, gdzie Ty.

Comment

Working...
                              X