Doubts and ambivalence

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Doubts and ambivalence

This is perhaps not uncommon... Having gone very far very fast, and then think: what I am doing? -
    No, I am not talking about myself, but my SO. He was the one endlessly pursuing me with compliments and ideas of our future. Now he is acting comfused, hinting to as if I don't love him enough or if I love him too much, I can not make sense of it all. It is taking me on an emotional rollercoster that is stressful. I too admit that maybe we got carried away on a little honeymoon, having spent (for us) very much time, focus and money on a person we did not really know from start. And now we do know each other well.... and hence we are in it too deep.

I have had a bad break-up or two in my past and have little tolerance for ambivalence. I am just not into it if you are not. Relationships can be hard enogh without wondering if you should be together at all. I have felt so wonderfully secure most of the time. He has played down every conflict we ever had and seemed very anchious to keep everything harmonic. I realize that in most relationships you go through periods that are more stressful and I am willing to cope with that. He does say that he wants to be with me, and seems to become very upset when he senses that I am. He thinks very much out loud, bringing forth every strange thought that crossed his mind, which is very opposed to me who thinks first and then speak my mind. He feels freeer with me now, and then I also get his doubts and often confusing ways of reasoning (he said he longed for me AND that we should break up more or less in the same sentence). How can I see the doubts for what they are ("translate" what he is saying), and not take it personal? I am more than a bit shocked and hurt, and perhaps stupid that I did not see this one coming.

My plan now is to just back off a little. I have been planning gifts for him but I think I will give them later instead. I have maybe done more of the initiatives the last two weeks (he has been with his family, so I have tried to be available whenever he could because of that). I too feel that maybe two monts of intensity is enough and we could use more time for other activities in our lives. I have been thinking of suggesting to him that we could maybe skype every other day instead of very day, or perhaps have shorter skype sessions than we have had uptil now. I don't know... I know I am supposed to be understanding, but I just get so afraid of loosing him and it is hard to brace myself. If any of you have been in i similar situation? There are practical things to consider, we are in the middle of buying his tickets to come here, ordering hotel etc. I tend to become angry and stonewalling when I am offended, but I don't think refusing to talk to him will solve much....
    I made love to him only twice, she thought and looked at the man laying asleep beside her. And yet still it is as if we have been together forever, as if he has always known my life, my soul, my body, my light, my pain
    - Paulo Coelho, "Eleven minutes"

"Bız yüzyılın aşkı vardır" - We have dated since Sept. 2013. To see our full story, click here https://members.lovingfromadistance....and-our-visits

Feels so strange replying to my own thread, but here I go...

First of all, I think it is stupid to communicate through text only. Will not do that again.

Second, us being not so honeymoon could be a good thing. More time for other things.

Third, I take things too literal/personal and he is thinking out loud without considering the effect it will have on me. is being very vague. We should both try to change, and not push each other's buttons.

Fourth, what is on his mind lately is really the polyamory thing. He just does not get it: How can I love two men, how does that work? Is it not doomed to end? Oh, I have seen this one coming, perhaps not like this, but still. And I DO want to explain it all to him, and I did. And it was the best moment of our relationship, because I could feel the future staying there with us.

Fifth, I really do have to go see him before Christmas!
    I made love to him only twice, she thought and looked at the man laying asleep beside her. And yet still it is as if we have been together forever, as if he has always known my life, my soul, my body, my light, my pain

"Bız yüzyılın aşkı vardır" - We have dated since Sept. 2013. To see our full story, click here https://members.lovingfromadistance....and-our-visits

Comment

I am very sorry you are going through this bad period, and I don't want to be cruel, but please consider this.

I am not Turkish, but our countries are neighbors and have loads of shared history (think of it like you telling me about Swedes ). Polyamory is a very complicated topic in general, and in our region - even more so. Men used to allowed to marry more than one woman in Turkey until the 20th century, and now it is very political thing to pretend it does not happen anymore, but it does, and it is accepted. I don't think his family would allow or tolerate him being in a polyamorous relationship with a woman who is married to another men. If you had children they would not be accepted or recognized. He would have to leave his family and whole life behind.

The culture is still very much male-dominated, even more so in terms of dating - men pay, men buy presents. You should see the looks I get when I pay for dinner when I was with my SO, or if we split the bill! I read that you bought him an Iphone to Skype, which is a very expensive thing for a young man who lives with his parents (maybe I'm wrong here?). Again, I do not wish to be cruel, but are you sure he is not using you?

Comment

I am way too tired to come up with something coherent, I just wanted to say I read it, and I'm thinking of it and that you're not alone. And that it's not about you both changing, you shouldn't change who you are in a relationship because then what happens to the people that fell in love? They are gone.
        See not coherent at all. Stepping away from the keyboard now. Will do my best to remember and come back.

Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things.
        Happily married to the little Canadian boy I never thought I'd meet in person

Comment

Hey,
          There is nothing more frustrating than being in a relationship with someone who play both sides of the fence and avoids making clear choices, it is emotionally draining and to me it is indicative of not being ready or totally committed. You "must" trust your instincts, if you feel like stepping back, accept that and follow up. If you ignore your inner self and try to "change" so things work out, at some point something will have to give otherwise you will not be happy with the relationship. . Please listen to your body and be gentle to yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by OperaDiva View Post
            I am very sorry you are going through this bad period, and I don't want to be cruel, but please consider this.

I am not Turkish, but our countries are neighbors and have loads of shared history (think of it like you telling me about Swedes ). Polyamory is a very complicated topic in general, and in our region - even more so. Men used to allowed to marry more than one woman in Turkey until the 20th century, and now it is very political thing to pretend it does not happen anymore, but it does, and it is accepted. I don't think his family would allow or tolerate him being in a polyamorous relationship with a woman who is married to another men. If you had children they would not be accepted or recognized. He would have to leave his family and whole life behind.

The culture is still very much male-dominated, even more so in terms of dating - men pay, men buy presents. You should see the looks I get when I pay for dinner when I was with my SO, or if we split the bill! I read that you bought him an Iphone to Skype, which is a very expensive thing for a young man who lives with his parents (maybe I'm wrong here?). Again, I do not wish to be cruel, but are you sure he is not using you?
            He is not living with his parentes. He has actually lived away from home and supported himself since he was 15. His father no longer lives. He has told one of his brothers and his brother's girlfriend. He fantasizes about taking me to his home town and seing his mother. Some of his friends know. He has friends in my country, i will meet them next month. Yes, he is very much the "the guy should pay ". When i visited, he paid for everything. He has been reluctant to take money but really i make so much more money than he does. The reason i bought him a smart phone is that we needed it to Skype. I don't usually buy him anything expensive. I don't feel used at all, and i don't think he feels bought either. I am happy to afford us seing each other.

As for people being agsinst our relationship, his brother 's girlfriend asked what would happen in the future. And his -Norwegian! - friend is agsinst it, i really must win her heart. He wants to be very independant, but of course he wants support as well. Thanks for your concern.

Comment

Working...
            X