Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Frequent (long) trips to the US on VWP. Worried.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Frequent (long) trips to the US on VWP. Worried.

My next trip to see my SO is in 15 days, and I've gotten into my head that I'm going to be denied entry to the US. I've booked my trip for 89 days, so it's cutting it close, plus I was in the US for 86 days just this July-September. These almost three months have felt like forever to us, but I'm afraid the CBP will see it differently. This will be my seventh trip to the US, but others before the last one have been short, except two trips in the late nineties. Last time I was detained, asked questions, and my luggage was searched, but the officer doing it was nice and I got through without a warning or anything. I was expecting to be detained and questioned again, but not actually denied. Then, a few days ago something possessed me to google stories from people who have been denied entry into the US, and this left me terrified. Does anybody have insight on whether or not I have real reason to be worried? I am from Finland.

I have a job to get back to, and my employer is willing to write me a letter to prove it, but we're both unsure of what exactly the letter should say. Any ideas?

Another idea: If you're renting an apartment or something in Finland and the contract goes on for another year or so, you could bring a copy of that, too.
    first met in 2008 -- started talking online again in 2011 -- decided to go on a date in 2012 -- actually started dating on our first visit in August 2013 --
    second visit in February 2014 -- third visit in June 2014 -- fourth visit in September 2014

Comment

I was thinking of bringing my lease. But, for one thing, it doesn't have an end point. It's been going on from 2005 and I have two notifications of the rent going up, but that's it. Also, it's in Finnish.

Comment

Originally posted by Roo View Post
        I was thinking of bringing my lease. But, for one thing, it doesn't have an end point. It's been going on from 2005 and I have two notifications of the rent going up, but that's it. Also, it's in Finnish.
        It not having an end point is something, I guess... but the whole "in Finnish" part kinda sucks, yeah. Maybe you can have it translated if you think that would help.
        Are there any other ties/involvements/commitments you have to your hometown/Finland? Volunteering, relatives you take care of, membership in clubs... ? Bring proof of that. I'd also consider not telling the officers you're staying with your SO. You presumably have made some friends while you were there on previous trips, so saying you're visiting friends wouldn't even be a lie.
        first met in 2008 -- started talking online again in 2011 -- decided to go on a date in 2012 -- actually started dating on our first visit in August 2013 --
        second visit in February 2014 -- third visit in June 2014 -- fourth visit in September 2014

Comment

Well, you're not from a Scary Terrorist Country{1}, so you have that going for you. If they ask questions, just give them as much info as you can, stay polite and calm, and you're unlikely to have issues. Yeah, if you can, bring anything that's proof of residence in Finland. Lease, utility bills, whatever.

I don't know if they'd care about the employer letter, but it can't hurt. Make sure it's on company letterhead/has some kind of company logo, and is hand-signed. (Not a copy or an image of a signature.) Name of the company, address, phone. A short statement like This letter certifies that [Roo] is a permanent employee of Company X, and has been since [date]. She is on holiday from [date] to [date] and is required back at work on-site in Finland on [date]. Boss's name, boss's title, boss's signature.

Also, do you already have your return ticket to Finland booked? Bring a copy of your flight information so they can see you already have a flight home. That should go a long way to making them feel better. It's actually probably more important than the lease or employer letter.

Are you flying into Logan?
          Massachusetts (the Northeast in general, really) isn't known for being super friendly (although having grown up here, I think we're perfectly friendly and just show it differently, lol) so it sometimes seems like the TSA/Boston people are being a bit more intense or standoffish than they probably actually feel. My guess is you'll be fine.

Good luck!

{1} I'm making fun of the US's paranoia, not saying I actually think people's countries are "scary terrorist countries."

Comment

I had a 75 day visit in June to August and came back in October.
            The officers thought I was trying to work illegally and I was interviewed, but after I told them I am visiting my boyfriend and I replied to every question honestly I got through with a warning.

Relationship began: 05/22/2012
            First Met: 03/21/2013 - 03/30/2013
            Second Visit: 06/06/2013 - 08/21/2013 ~ Proposal: 07/06/2013 ♥
            Third Visit: 10/09/2013 - 01/08/2013
            Closed the distance: 11/20/2014 ♥
            Married: 1/24/2015
            Became Resident: 9/14/2015

Comment

I don't understand why it would be a problem at all. I've been on three visits to the states of about 88 days or so on the VWP. They really have no reason to deny you if you've never done anything wrong and have never overstayed or anything. One time I was there for 89 days but all that was done was the person processing me asked why I made it so close, and I simply said to maximise my time with my SO, and then he said not to cut it so close next time in case my flight was delayed or something, which is fair enough.

If you are worried about it, get your employer to write a letter, something along the lines of "Your name is employed by such and such company on a conract or whatever, we (employer) are aware that she will be overseas for such length of time and she will remain employed during this time and will be returning to work upon her return" Or something along those lines.
              Together since: Feb 23rd 2005.
              First met: June 13th 2006

Comment

Well, I am from the land of grumps, so pretty much all Americans seem overly friendly to me. And I do realize my country of origin is an advantage here, but I still can't help being nervous. I don't think it's gonna help me any to not say I'm visiting my girlfriend, because, for one thing, I said it right away last time (and I assume they might keep records of that kinda stuff) and secondly, what else would I be doing there all this time? At least I can honestly say we don't intend to get married. If we did in the future, we would apply for the appropriate visa then.

Yes, I'm flying into Logan. Just like last time. The two earlier times we saw each other in the US were in New York and Florida, and I went through no questions asked then. I do have a return flight booked, I always do.

Thank you for your input on the employer letter, and thank you to every one of you for your replies. I'm starting to feel a little better.

I have to think hard about what other proof I might have of my ties to Finland. I do have utility bills, but that's pretty much all I can think of right now.

Comment

Originally posted by Roo View Post
                  Well, I am from the land of grumps, so pretty much all Americans seem overly friendly to me. And I do realize my country of origin is an advantage here, but I still can't help being nervous. I don't think it's gonna help me any to not say I'm visiting my girlfriend, because, for one thing, I said it right away last time (and I assume they might keep records of that kinda stuff) and secondly, what else would I be doing there all this time? At least I can honestly say we don't intend to get married. If we did in the future, we would apply for the appropriate visa then.

Yes, I'm flying into Logan. Just like last time. The two earlier times we saw each other in the US were in New York and Florida, and I went through no questions asked then. I do have a return flight booked, I always do.

Thank you for your input on the employer letter, and thank you to every one of you for your replies. I'm starting to feel a little better.

I have to think hard about what other proof I might have of my ties to Finland. I do have utility bills, but that's pretty much all I can think of right now.

Bring the return flight info, the employer letter, the util bills, and I think you'll be fine. Logan's sensitive because they were a departing airport for the 9/11 attacks, but even if they give you extra questioning or some hassles, it's unlikely you'd be denied entry unless you freak out on them. Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by BlueCat View Post
                    I don't understand why it would be a problem at all. I've been on three visits to the states of about 88 days or so on the VWP. They really have no reason to deny you if you've never done anything wrong and have never overstayed or anything.
                    US costumes will deny over much less than overstaying. They have the right to deny any entry, even if it's only over a hunch. It happened to my SO and he was coming in from Canada (our neighbor). He has never overstayed a visit and had ties to his own country, many ties. They still denied him. Also, I am a US citizen and they've held me for questioning before lol. I wouldn't say that OP has no reason to worry. My advice is to bring as much evidence as you possibly can. Read up on your rights, too, because some officers will take advantage of ignorance to policies and be all out jerks. I think most importantly you should remain confident and assert yourself; try not to look like you're worried because they read into those signs too. Good luck.

Edit: You can bring proof of assets. Utility bills are great, leases (even if it's in finnish, you can have someone translate it for you while you're there), bank accounts, and car registration. If you own property/have many assets in your own country it's less likely that you intend to immigrate. Also, if the value of your assets are high they are more likely to let you go through.
                    Last edited by princessmaria; December 10, 2013, 12:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by princessmaria View Post
                      US costumes will deny over much less than overstaying. They have the right to deny any entry, even if it's only over a hunch. It happened to my SO and he was coming in from Canada (our neighbor). He has never overstayed a visit and had ties to his own country, many ties. They still denied him. Also, I am a US citizen and they've held me for questioning before lol. I wouldn't say that OP has no reason to worry. My advice is to bring as much evidence as you possibly can. Read up on your rights, too, because some officers will take advantage of ignorance to policies and be all out jerks. I think most importantly you should remain confident and assert yourself; try not to look like you're worried because they read into those signs too. Good luck.

Edit: You can bring proof of assets. Utility bills are great, leases (even if it's in finnish, you can have someone translate it for you while you're there), bank accounts, and car registration. If you own property/have many assets in your own country it's less likely that you intend to immigrate. Also, if the value of your assets are high they are more likely to let you go through.
                      I think Texas tends to be more conservative about that sort of thing.. it seems like the (very few) stories I know of people who I know personally having issues with TSA came in TX or FL. (Maybe bigger issues with undocumented immigration?)

I would definitely NOT advise asserting yourself if it's just going to come out defensive or aggressive. Most people that get into these incidents with TSA and police officers are the ones who thought they were "being assertive" and the cop/TSA agent thought they were being mouthy or disruptive, etc.

Also, they tend to pick up on differences between someone being nervous/worried because they feel intimidated or someone worried because they're doing something wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by silvermoonfairy3 View Post
                        I think Texas tends to be more conservative about that sort of thing.. it seems like the (very few) stories I know of people who I know personally having issues with TSA came in TX or FL. (Maybe bigger issues with undocumented immigration?)

I would definitely NOT advise asserting yourself if it's just going to come out defensive or aggressive. Most people that get into these incidents with TSA and police officers are the ones who thought they were "being assertive" and the cop/TSA agent thought they were being mouthy or disruptive, etc.

Also, they tend to pick up on differences between someone being nervous/worried because they feel intimidated or someone worried because they're doing something wrong.
                        What do you mean? I went through US customs in Canada, so did my SO. I have never been through US customs in TX (entering CA, I see Canadian customs, leaving CA I see US customs in CA).

I'm really not trying to scare OP, but the horror stories he/she has read are no lies. US custom officers are not nice; it is not in their job description to be sympathetic. I don't think they care if you're trying to attend your dead grandmother's funeral - they will still deny you entry if they see fit. I'm not going to rage and take it out on the officers. I can only imagine what it must be like to be in the position to either grant entry to a potential terrorist who may kill thousands of people or deny entry. I'm sure it's tough.

My SO was denied entry. I say be assertive because he would not have been denied entry if he understood his rights or had a lawyer. They asked him all kinds of personal questions and when he showed obvious reluctance to answer them they decided he was being "suspicious". By personal I mean REALLY personal and invasive such as making him talk about childhood abuse. They detained him for several hours and eventually decided that he needed to see a psychiatrist to prove that he isn't a danger to society before he is allowed to enter the US (mind you, this psychiatrist is appointed by the gov. and costs 500 dollars per hr which they do not pay for you). My SO is middle eastern but has no distinctive characteristics that suggest he is; he looks like an exotic white guy. Now, he was supposedly detained at random which also has happened to me. They call people in for questioning and rifle through your things "at random" (it is literally legal for them to detain you or call you in for questioning indiscriminately or discriminately), it could happen to anyone, and for any reason.

When I was called back I was assertive. I asked why, which was promptly ignored (the officer literally said "please proceed to the glass doors" without even looking up at me). When the officer was rifling through my things, sorting through my underwear and gifts my SO had given me, he asked me two questions. I answered them, and then he told me to sit back down. Upon entering I'd noticed an asian family of about 8 sitting. Their two children were knocked out, so they were probably there for ages just like my SO. I knew that my flight left in literally less than 30mins and I didn't want to catch a later flight, so I spoke up. I whipped out all of my ties to the US like my student I.D. I believe the only reason why I wasn't detained longer was because I showed that I understood what was required of me and had knowledge of their policies.

It's not good to show up there looking like a lost foreigner. You have to be assertive and confident (I didn't say hostile). If they take you back for questioning just be sure that you answer confidently and show them proof right away. Don't beg or plead or appear worried because that doesn't really get you anywhere.

Comment

Originally posted by princessmaria View Post
                          What do you mean? I went through US customs in Canada, so did my SO. I have never been through US customs in TX (entering CA, I see Canadian customs, leaving CA I see US customs in CA).
                          I really don't know about Canada and our customs stuff, I haven't been to Canada. We may have different rules with it or something since it was only recently that we started needing passports for Canada.

But when you fly to/from Europe, you go through customs/border protection when you land. Land in London, go through British customs, return to Massachusetts, go through US customs in Boston. If I flew to DFW from Europe, I would have to go through customs in Dallas, though there's still separate lines for US citizens and non-US citizens, and there's still security to go through in the departing airport in Europe.

That's super weird about your SO's bad experience. I wonder what brought that on. Did they say anything to him about why they were asking the questions or anything?

My SO is middle eastern but has no distinctive characteristics that suggest he is.
                          Does he have a very Middle Eastern sounding name?
                          Or maybe he shares a name with someone that's flagged as suspicious.. that happens sometimes, which is another strange thing.

When I was called back I was assertive... I whipped out all of my ties to the US like my student I.D. I believe the only reason why I wasn't detained longer was because I showed that I understood what was required of me and had knowledge of their policies.
                          Yeah, but you're a US citizen. A US citizen has a bit more..leeway? to sort of stand up for/assert themselves because it's your home country and it's easier for you to make some sort of formal complaint regarding rights violations, and they know that. It's TSA vs. US citizen, and you'd get a lot of the support just because it'd be "why is the TSA giving a US citizen such a hassle?" and there would be that support that might be missing for a non-citizen.

Not to suggest that non-citizens should just be meek and not know their rights, or anything, just that some ways of speaking up could be seen as aggressive. I think I'd be pretty careful about doing that as a non-citizen. We've become pretty touchy about things.

Comment

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that you and your SO were detained for specific reasons princessmaria, that probably don't apply to OP because she is white and European. Yes, customs can and are arseholes, but one needs to give them a reason to act the way that they do.

I have had multiple friends who have gone to the US and have had 0 problems entering or leaving the country. They are from a range of backgrounds and they have stayed for a range of times in the country.

OP, you should be ok.

*EDIT* As silvermoonfairy said, you have a foot to stand on because you're an American citizen in the US. I would not react to Australian customs in the way that I could and would (in a situation of crisis) if I was a non-citizen.

Comment

What really helped me was that I didn't hide anything. I replied to his questions and was honest and stern. There was no reason for him to not believe me, because there was nothing I was hiding.
                              Good luck to you!

Relationship began: 05/22/2012
                              First Met: 03/21/2013 - 03/30/2013
                              Second Visit: 06/06/2013 - 08/21/2013 ~ Proposal: 07/06/2013 ♥
                              Third Visit: 10/09/2013 - 01/08/2013
                              Closed the distance: 11/20/2014 ♥
                              Married: 1/24/2015
                              Became Resident: 9/14/2015

Comment

Working...
                              X