Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Passport Control In The UK: Anyone Else Had Issues?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Passport Control In The UK: Anyone Else Had Issues?

I just arrived in the UK from the US, this is my second visit, and I got the 3rd degree again at passport control, I understand that their main objective is to see if I have a diffinitive reason to go back, but they go about it in such a round-about way, asking really personal questions, one question was about my employment status, needless to say this is a...sensitive topic for me. I tried to explain it was complicated, but the female agent kept pushing, having two anixety disorders, this really didnt help, I started to panic, in the end, another tough male agent came and leaned on her desk eying me down, basically bullying me into answering, I felt I had no choice but to tell her, I teared up after and just felt like crap. I dont understand why this matters, I already told them I was a full time student, had a return ticket, and classes starting 3 days after I get back (already paid for) but they keep fishing and fishing, and I just want to know, can I refuse to answer one of their questions? I mean seriously, some of them arent even their problem, Im a US citizen, so if I dont have the money to get home, guess what? Ive got to find some, they dont have to do a thing, I'd go to the US embassy. The stress and responsibility lies on me, so I just dont understand why they are so nosy about things that are meaningless to my entry, and I have never seen them ask this stuff of tourists, it's like everyone goes before me, gives them their customs cards, gets asked how long they are staying, and gets to go right through, but the second I mention it's for a signifigant other, I am bumbarded with random, sometimes seriously personal questions, and I have NO idea what this has to do with my passport or somehow my risk level...I dont even have a parking ticket to my name... so yeah, can I refuse to answer certain questions? And has anyone had such a problem with passport control? How did you handle it?
    First Visit - June 25, 2013 - July 15, 2013 (England)
    Second Visit - December 20, 2013 - January 13, 2014 (England)
    Third Visit: (Tickets Booked!) April 12, 2014 - May 10, 2014 (US)

I guess you could but they have the authority to detain you. They want to make sure you have enough connections/ties back home to ensure that you're going back when you say you are. It's not uncommon to buy a return ticket and have people that just don't show up for their flight.

Comment

The fact that you are going for a significant other automatically raises your risk level, because they see you as more likely to try and emigrate there. Questions about your employment status allow them to assess whether you have enough ties to your country, and if they see you resisting or refusing to answer questions then they may assume it's because you had motives to immigrate into their country and they can deny you entry.

When I had a British boyfriend we always got his mother to write the invite letter etc because then I could say "I'm visiting my friend [SO's mom's name]" which raised less suspicions. I still got bombarded with questions but just answered all of them as best as I could. I think refusing to answer questions just makes you even more suspicious in their eyes.
      So, here you are
      too foreign for home
      too foreign for here.
      Never enough for both.

Ijeoma Umebinyuo, Diaspora Blues

Comment

Just leave out any mention of a partner. I just say that I'm travelling and that I'll be staying with friends. I've never had an issue beyond the question of "What is the purpose of your stay in this country".

Refusing questions can backfire, especially if the customs officer is suspicious of you. It's best to just try and be as assertive/confident as you can.

Comment

I agree that it's best to just answer their questions.

I went back to the UK to visit flatmates from when I studied abroad, and one of my old flatmates was going to meet me at the train station in Wales when I took the train from Paddington. (I flew into London.)

The agent wanted to know her address, and I didn't know it, because she was just meeting me. Got grilled for a bit, and I did have her phone number, so I had to give them that, and they let me through, but the agent was like "Next time you come to the UK you'd better have the address of where you're staying or you won't be able to enter." and was all intense about it. Yikes! But now I know.

The UK has been tightening their immigration stuff in the last few years, so they're probably just trying to crack down on overstayers. You're not doing anything wrong, so answer the questions and try to stay calm. Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by silvermoonfairy3 View Post
            The agent wanted to know her address, and I didn't know it, because she was just meeting me. Got grilled for a bit, and I did have her phone number, so I had to give them that, and they let me through, but the agent was like "Next time you come to the UK you'd better have the address of where you're staying or you won't be able to enter." and was all intense about it. Yikes! But now I know.
            I would say that's because you need to include an address on the customs declaration form (The officer can get in trouble if there is no address on the form?). My customs officer was annoyed because I forgot to note the address of my accommodation in London :$

Comment

Working...
            X