Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There goes the birthday surprise...

Hi everyone,

I know I haven't been round much over the past eight months or so. I've been busy with health issues and work and all of that, but I have been popping in and trying to keep up with everyone. So, recap: I'm Joey, 31 in the UK and my SO is Scott, 34 in the USA. We've been together about three and a half years. I last saw him in April 2012, but contact is frequent through text, calls and emails and such.

Anyway, our birthday is coming up on January 6th, I will be 32 and he'll be 35. I knew something was going on because my dad suddenly downloaded Viber and when I asked him about he said it was a "friend" and knowing my dad and knowing Scott, I knew that they were planning something, but I didn't know for sure and I didn't know what.

Scott called today and I missed the call, but managed to get hold of him later. He was going to work on the 26th after a short trip back to Florida to see his parents for Christmas and he slipped on some ice, fell and broke his arm in two places. It looks like he's going to need surgery and that means he's not going to be up to flying here. He can fly with the cast 48 hours after it's put on, but he's going back to the doctor tomorrow to check whether he'll need an operation.

He called because the plan had been for him to fly out to the UK on Jan 5th, my dad was going to pick him up and then call me on the 6th and say I had to go and pick up my present...the only reason Scott was telling me was because he'd been quiet over the holiday period - nothing unusual with his trip home, but it was also because he knew if he spoke to me he might give the surprise away. So, now it's looking like he won't be able to come. I'm gutted. I haven't seen him in so long and although it's not a no way, it's a later trip when his arm is healed, I just feel like....blah! Y'know? I have wanted us to spend our birthday together since we met and now the one time it was looking like it would happen, this happens! I know that nothing is set in stone and it could be that the break isn't as bad as first though, but he's also in a lot of pain and has limited motion in his arm. I'm in a wheelchair and am unable to push myself and if he only has the one good arm, then he won't be able to push me either.

We have started preparing documents for the fiance visa and it's hopefully we'll be able to submit in 2014 and I am planning to go and meet his family and see him in the summer, just...so close and yet so far.

Anyway, thanks for listening and I'll try to be more active from now on!

Thanks

Joey
    Joey & Scott
    Met: April 2002
    Lost Contact: August 2002
    Reconnected: April 2010
    Together: May 20th 2010

[COLOR="#800080"]"Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight." Benjamin Franklin

Really nice to see you back, Joey! Sorry it's not in the best of situations though, I can't imagine how disappointed you are Life is really sent to try us sometimes.

At least you know there will be a visit in the not too distant future, that's something to hold on to xx

Comment

Shitty. Hopefully he'll still be able to come.

Comment

Originally posted by kattermole View Post
        Really nice to see you back, Joey! Sorry it's not in the best of situations though, I can't imagine how disappointed you are Life is really sent to try us sometimes.

At least you know there will be a visit in the not too distant future, that's something to hold on to xx
        Yeah, that's what's keeping me going, knowing that I will see him in 2014 even if it's me going to see him, and hopefully we'll be submitting visa stuff soon that will mean he'll be here more permanently.

Thanks hon

Originally posted by snow_girl View Post
        Shitty. Hopefully he'll still be able to come.
        Thanks Snow, I hope so, but from what he was saying it's not likely, will just depend on what the doctor says tomorrow. He was in a lot of pain though which made me feel crappy because I couldn't be there to help him.
        Joey & Scott

[COLOR="#800080"]"Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight." Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Wow Joey. I can completely feel your emotions through your post.
          I cannot imagine what it is like to go without seeing your SO for over a year, I commend you and the love you share with Scott. I can only hope that my relationship will survive anything like what you can Scott have. I am sorry for your disappointment but I am sure that this is just another testament to the love that you two share!

All the best.
          I hope it works out!

Met in July 2006
          Dated very briefly in November 2006
          Reconnected in July 2011
          Something changed in August 2013
          He visited in November 2013
          I traveled in November 2013
          I visit in February 2014

Comment

Originally posted by stormy View Post
            Wow Joey. I can completely feel your emotions through your post.
            I cannot imagine what it is like to go without seeing your SO for over a year, I commend you and the love you share with Scott. I can only hope that my relationship will survive anything like what you can Scott have. I am sorry for your disappointment but I am sure that this is just another testament to the love that you two share!

All the best.
            I hope it works out!
            Thanks Stormy...

There just seems to be more bad news, the break was in two places and when he went back yesterday they made the decision to surgically set it to aid the healing. He's now in the hospital and so won't be coming to stay in a week...but he may have paid time off work to recover and depending on how things go, he may come a little later, but it all depends on the surgery and money and all of that jazz. The good news is though that he should be out of the hospital for our birthday so I'll get to speak to him then...I just wish I had the money (and was well enough myself) to go and keep him company while he recovers. I will see him in 2014, as I said, the plan is for me to head over as my graduation present in June/July 2014 and he plans to come here as soon as he is able so hopefully two visits in the new year!

Thanks for all the support guys
            Joey & Scott

Comment

Originally posted by JoeyBug View Post
              Thanks Stormy...

There just seems to be more bad news, the break was in two places and when he went back yesterday they made the decision to surgically set it to aid the healing. He's now in the hospital and so won't be coming to stay in a week...but he may have paid time off work to recover and depending on how things go, he may come a little later, but it all depends on the surgery and money and all of that jazz. The good news is though that he should be out of the hospital for our birthday so I'll get to speak to him then...I just wish I had the money (and was well enough myself) to go and keep him company while he recovers. I will see him in 2014, as I said, the plan is for me to head over as my graduation present in June/July 2014 and he plans to come here as soon as he is able so hopefully two visits in the new year!

Thanks for all the support guys
              I'm sorry to hear this Joeybug, you must be gutted and I know how frustrating not being there when they are ill is

Keep focused on the positives... you WILL see him this year

Comment

Originally posted by 80anthea View Post
                I'm sorry to hear this Joeybug, you must be gutted and I know how frustrating not being there when they are ill is

Keep focused on the positives... you WILL see him this year
                Thanks anthea, I'm trying to keep focused on that! It will happen this new year and it may even happen twice, and he may even get his visa and end up here for good...trying to focus on the maybes and the possibles
                Joey & Scott

Comment

An update for you all:

Firstly, happy new year! Scott ended up having surgery on his arm on Monday, and was still in the hospital when I spoke to him earlier though they are planning to let him out today so YAY! It's looking less and less likely that he'll make it here for Jan 6th, but still he's in less pain now and is doing okay and as someone else said, he WILL be here this year and I WILL be going there in the summer so that's what I focusing on right now!

Hope you all had a wonderful NYE and I wish you much joy and happiness in 2014
                  Joey & Scott

Comment

I'm sorry to hear it didn't work out
                    But glad to see you are concentrating on the positive sides of the coming year.
                    And glad to see you back here on LFAD

How is the writing going btw?

Take care!

Comment

Good luck to the two of you
                      I made love to him only twice, she thought and looked at the man laying asleep beside her. And yet still it is as if we have been together forever, as if he has always known my life, my soul, my body, my light, my pain
                      - Paulo Coelho, "Eleven minutes"

"Bız yüzyılın aşkı vardır" - We have dated since Sept. 2013. To see our full story, click here https://members.lovingfromadistance....and-our-visits

Comment

Originally posted by Ahava View Post
                        I'm sorry to hear it didn't work out
                        But glad to see you are concentrating on the positive sides of the coming year.
                        And glad to see you back here on LFAD

How is the writing going btw?

Take care!
                        Going really well, working on books 11 and 12 and have an idea abrewing for number 13. Scott's now home from the hospital and we plan to skype later so he can show off his cast

Thanks, it's good to be back
                        Joey & Scott

Comment

Originally posted by JoeyBug View Post
                          Going really well, working on books 11 and 12 and have an idea abrewing for number 13. Scott's now home from the hospital and we plan to skype later so he can show off his cast

Thanks, it's good to be back
                          Wow! That's a lot of books! I used to dream of becoming a writer when I was a teenager.

What kind of books do you write?

Nice to hear it is going well

Comment

Originally posted by Ahava View Post
                            Wow! That's a lot of books! I used to dream of becoming a writer when I was a teenager.

What kind of books do you write?

Nice to hear it is going well
                            I write young adult fiction, usually crime/mystery genre with some supernatural/paranormal and the occasional general fiction books. My seventh is due out this coming summer

Yeah, I started writing years ago and then when I became too ill to work, it became my job as such, I'll have been published nine years this August
                            Joey & Scott

Comment

Working...
                            X