Learning a new culture!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Learning a new culture!!

It's any one alse learning about a different culture for their SO? Let me know how it is, and what language, food, or what ever you want to share!!

I'm in the middle of learning Rumanian, language and culture.Iit's different from mine, but in having a grate time, and my SO loves it when I say a word or two in our conversations.

Don't be shy and share!!

I would not say I as am learning Turkish exactly, but I am picking up a few words and phrases. I know how to say I love you and how names and words are pronounced. I like the sound of it, especially the way he talks. I use transition apps so I don't have to ask him for everything. I also have a small dictionary in Turkish to English. Later I plan to get a Turkish -Norwegian one and some language course books or audio course. I just have to wait because I am starting a new job next month, I will have more time once I am settled.

As for culture, I love Turkish food. I want to try making some when he comes. He will probably bring me food that I like, like rose tea, olives and olive oil. The landscape and nature I have seen so far I like. The Turks seem to me very polite and discreet (at least outside of tourist venues) and maybe a bit blunt when they are curious. Not being able to kiss on the lokal bus is different, but I have been to India and I know some places that is just thought of as indecent. I will probably cover up more if I went to his home town, like not wear a bikini if we went bathing in the waterfalls but more sports gear like his brother 's girlfriend does. There is a big generation gap between mothers who are homemakers and their daughters going to university.Everything in the country is a bit new and half dodgy when it comes to human rights, work conditions etc. I love the music (perhaps more than him). It is a communal feeling more than in my country, that is both strange and warming. I love the climate at least by the Mediteranian sea (he tells me it snows in other parts of the country), have always been ambivalent about Norwegian winters. When I was on holiday I visited a mosk for the first time, I felt a lot of respect. We have had some talks about religion too. He is Muslim and I am Christian, I am more devout than him at this point, anyway the way I see it God is beyond our descriptions of Him. I would love to get to know more about his culture, perhaps visit during Turkish holidays.

I am sure we will disagree over something at some point, or not understand the point of the other. We will have to learn as we go. It is exiting, too
    Last edited by differentcountries; January 21, 2014, 05:48 AM.
    I made love to him only twice, she thought and looked at the man laying asleep beside her. And yet still it is as if we have been together forever, as if he has always known my life, my soul, my body, my light, my pain
    - Paulo Coelho, "Eleven minutes"

"Bız yüzyılın aşkı vardır" - We have dated since Sept. 2013. To see our full story, click here https://members.lovingfromadistance....and-our-visits

Comment

I´m learning Danish, it is very difficult for me to pronounce so I rather speak just English, but I would like to learn a bit so I could have better conversation with my SO´s mum. Our cultures are not so different but Danes are way more openminded and tolerant, which I see as very positive thing. I like learning about Danish traditions. We only have one problem in this area and that is Santa Claus, since he is adored in Denmark, but in my country we are generally pretty much against him, because we have baby Jesus figure.

Comment

Originally posted by jana89 View Post
        I´m learning Danish, it is very difficult for me to pronounce so I rather speak just English, but I would like to learn a bit so I could have better conversation with my SO´s mum. Our cultures are not so different but Danes are way more openminded and tolerant, which I see as very positive thing. I like learning about Danish traditions. We only have one problem in this area and that is Santa Claus, since he is adored in Denmark, but in my country we are generally pretty much against him, because we have baby Jesus figure.
        Lots of Christians in the US can get upset with too much mention of Santa Claus, but it's okay to do both. Here in the US, you see both. I have the cutest ornament that shows Santa Claus on his knee worshipping in front of baby Jesus. One thing about two cultures that are very different, we have to compromise.

For the OP, some on here might not want to share for privacy reasons. Don't take that personally. I am afraid some of my SO's family might pick up on me and what's going on. They know about me, but they don't know about our dating yet. We are working up to that and getting closer everyday. I can see one member of his family in a LDR herself and on this forum. She's already come close once, so I can't really share a lot on learning his culture. I can say he does have a different heritage, but that way of life doesn't influence him a lot. I'm trying to learn more about him, not his culture, if that makes sense.

He and I are from different parts of the US, too, and it's amazing how many differences you see in that. It's great that we can love our SO's enough to want to learn about them and blend our likes and dislikes with theirs.

Comment

Thank you for sharing you guys!!! And goo luck for those who are learning a new language!!! I know it can be caind of hard, and challenging specially the pronunciation, thats where I struggle lol. But good luck and enjoy the learning!!!

Comment

You know, you'll get a lot more responses, from people everywhere, if you post these kind of things in either the general thread, or international thread. Military is kind of exclusive, I'm only here by mistake

My guy is Finnish, and while I no longer kid myself that I'll ever be conversational in Finnish, I do enjoy studying it a bit. Culturally, the differences aren't huge, but people in Finland tend to be much more quiet and private than Americans. It's also great (for me) to be in such an atheistic country, I feel very comfortable there, and appreciate the sheer beauty of the place. It has some things that can be hard to get used to for someone from the US, like how reserved people can be. Strangers don't chat with each other too much, and nobody seems to pet each others dogs! The dog part, for some reason, really bugs me

Finnish food, hmmmm...what to say about that? Some of it is wonderful, I love many of their fish dishes, they make great burgers, and know every possible thing to do to a potato. I like most of the traditional dishes too, like reindeer. The pizza is terrible, and whatever you do, never order anything "Mexican" there! The beer is very decent, when I'm not busy with all the cider or sparking wine.

I LOVE how celebrated the short summer is, Finns know how to take advantage of every minute. I adore Finland in summer! Picnics, summer cottages, boats, light out until midnight, it's fabulous.
            Our separation of each other is an optical illusion of consciousness. ~Albert Einstein

Comment

Another non-military LDR here (maybe you can PM Michelle and get her to move this?).

My SO is Latino and from Cali, and it's just a whole new world to me down there. I took a Spanish course a while back (since I only learned the swear words from my SO ) and it was really fun. I spent countless hours trying to learn to roll my r's and I can finally do it! I know some French so learning Spanish wasn't too difficult for me. I'm hoping I can learn enough to be able to talk to his grandma.

Growing up in Toronto, even though it's very multicultural, there isn't such a large Latino population up here and I'd never really tried Mexican food until I met my SO. I'm vegetarian and a lot of Mexican dishes are centered around meat but I've loved everything I've tried so far. Being South Asian, I loved super spicy food all my life and Mexican food is all about heat. My favourites are chile rellenos, empanadas, my SO's moms kickass salsas, sweet tamales, pan dulches and I always, always keep a box of Abuelita around during winter time (even have my own molinillo). His mother told me he used to hate Indian food but he seems to love it now.. HA, adorable

Married: June 9th, 2015

Comment

Canadiangirl I'm glad you like Mexican food, it's one of my favorite, and cooking it it's so easy, I'm glad you gat your r's, it's caind of hard for some people, and it's easy to learn Spanish if you have some one to practice with, and it's a lot of fun, trust me Spanish is my 1st language!! Btw I always have a bag of Abuelita also, best chocolate ever!!
                Good luck and I'm glad to read ur comment!
                And since so many of you guys suggested it I'm going to post it again on international... Thank you guys!!

Comment

I'm also trying to learn two of his languages. One better than the other, but I'll get there eventually. Even though I had already been staying in Ghana for some months before we met, I still learn something new all the time. Especially about his tribe and their traditions.
                  I also really enjoy cooking Ghanaian food. I've learned to make most of the traditional dishes by now. Traditional festivals are so much fun, too. The music, the dancing, the colourful dresses...
                  I really love learning about his culture and it's really important that I do, as I will be the one moving to him. Of course there are small things that we sometimes might not agree on, because are cultures are so completely different, but that's what makes it interesting.

Comment

My special guy is English like me and about to go to the Far East for a while (hence the LDR) but his last time away was in Spain and, fingers crossed, when he gets back we're moving out there, so I'm trying to catch up on (and possibly exceed!) his Spanish. He was asked the other day what he loves about Spain and he said pretty much everything, but generally the culture, so I'm also trying to learn to cook the food, watch the football (!!), and virtually explore the city where he lived via Google streetview, plus I'm planning a short break out there while he's away to get my bearings.

Although I'm still a bit emotionally overwhelmed at the mo (he's going in a week), I'm also hoping that this will give me something really positive to focus on - both filling my time with nice 'stuff' and looking ahead to better times when he's back.

El xx

Comment

While England and Finland isn't all that different there are some differences that were a bit overwhelming first time I got over, like how liberal people are around alcohol, the horrible driving (I'm still terrified whenever I go out on a road, let it be walking, in a car or even a van) and the fact you can't take a random walk among the edge of someone's field. In the Nordics we have this wonderful thing called Allemansrätten /Jokamiehenoikeus https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freedom_to_roam that makes public footpaths rather restricting here. Another thing I sometimes have trouble with is that I can't tell if someone likes me or is just being polite to me, since at home we just avoid and don't talk to the people we don't like

Oh, and the definitions of sausage is different I had never had a sausage that wasn't smooth until I came here...
                      We part only to meet again ~ J.Gay

Comment

Working...
                      X