Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carepackages to USA - what is allowed??

This is my first post, Hello everyone

Hopefully someone can help me with this!

My boyfriend went to San Francisco past Monday for a one year internship.

I would like to send him the first care packages, but was not able to find a list about what is OK to send??
    Am I allowed to send chocolate (e.g. nut chocolate) or home made cookies??
    I am scared they will destroy it at the duty customs if there is something which isnt allowed to be sent.

As this is an american website, and most of you are Americans I thought its best to ask you!!

I would be most grateful if you could help me.

Thank you so much and wishing you all good luck with your relationships :-)

Regards from Switzerland,
    Severine

Welcome to LFAD! Haha, I don't know if most of us are Americans. I've never had problem sending him food or electronics. I know you can't send something like alcohol or perfume/cologne though.

Married: June 9th, 2015

Comment

I once sent the banned Kinder surprise eggs and no one cared. I sent it as a letter instead of a package and no one bothered to check what's inside :P

Relationship began: 05/22/2012
      First Met: 03/21/2013 - 03/30/2013
      Second Visit: 06/06/2013 - 08/21/2013 ~ Proposal: 07/06/2013 ♥
      Third Visit: 10/09/2013 - 01/08/2013
      Closed the distance: 11/20/2014 ♥
      Married: 1/24/2015
      Became Resident: 9/14/2015

Comment

Thank you for replying so quickly!! Means a lot :-)

I think I will just try sending the chocolate containing nuts...praying it will be okay.

I heard about the kinder surprise eggs...I wouldnt be brave enough to send one ;-)

Comment

I received some chocolate from members on this website for Christmas! There was no problem with a customs declaration affixed to it!
          So, here you are
          too foreign for home
          too foreign for here.
          Never enough for both.

Ijeoma Umebinyuo, Diaspora Blues

Comment

I checked on the website for the US Postal Service, but didn't find anything other than things that can't be mailed out. Nothing on what can be mailed in. However, if Switzerland's postal service has a website, you could probably find it on there. USPS has lists for various countries, so yours might too.

As far as I know though, food is absolutely fine to send.
            "You let me in your heart and out of my head."

Comment

I didn't know they were banned at the time :P I only found out when my man opened the box and found them lol
              I know that if you send your package as an actual package you have to declare what is inside, the amount and how much you paid for it, but if you send it as a letter no one even asks - atleast that's how it is in Austria

Good luck! Chocolate is not considered bad per se, I brought chocolate on my checked bag and told the officers in Toronto and they didn't care either :P

Relationship began: 05/22/2012
              First Met: 03/21/2013 - 03/30/2013
              Second Visit: 06/06/2013 - 08/21/2013 ~ Proposal: 07/06/2013 ♥
              Third Visit: 10/09/2013 - 01/08/2013
              Closed the distance: 11/20/2014 ♥
              Married: 1/24/2015
              Became Resident: 9/14/2015

Comment

Food is usually fine if it's prepackaged stuff. I wouldn't be sending over a bag of nuts, but chocolate covered nuts and any sort of candy etc are fine. As long as it's not fresh produce or out of packaging etc. I'm not sure on the home-made cookies, they might get seized by quarantine, but I'm not 100% sure since they wouldn't be in sealed packaging with an ingredients list etc, they may think you're trying to bring something in inside :P
                Together since: Feb 23rd 2005.
                First met: June 13th 2006

Comment

Working...
                X