Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

US Border Control- SO Visiting for the UK- What to expect?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

US Border Control- SO Visiting for the UK- What to expect?

Okay so my SO will be making his first trip to visit me in the US this April. The tickets are purchased, his ESTA application has been approved. But he is concerned about US Border Control, and I cant blame him, it's nerve racking to go through. But as I'm a US citizen, I don't really know what he's in for so I can't really be of much help. So here's a few questions:

1)When he's asked why he's there or who's address it is he'll be staying at, should he just say he's visiting a friend or should he specify and say I am his girlfriend? Or maybe say he's staying with a friend and their family?

2) I know the main thing they look for is connections to home, he has a round trip ticket, is a full time student (he's visit during the break between spring and summer semesters) and leases a house off campus with 3 other roommates. Should he bring evidence of this? i.e. signed lease agreement, note from a school adviser confirming his next classes are paid for and his exams are scheduled shortly after his return, and maybe even a copy of his bank statement? (I know the UK has asked how I intend to support myself while I am visiting him) Any thing else he should bring or make clear?

3) I have read that in the US they finger print and take a photo of you if you are a foreign national, is this true?

4) He has this thing that when he gets stressed or nervous (he's never been to the US before) that he tends to mentally lock up on words or stammer, he's worried this may cause a problem as they may think he's trying to hid something. Any advice for this? Should he tell the agent beforehand that he may stammer?

Any advice or stories of you guys going through this would be great
    We're both nervous about it, so we'd be grateful for anything.

Thanks So Much!
    First Visit - June 25, 2013 - July 15, 2013 (England)
    Second Visit - December 20, 2013 - January 13, 2014 (England)
    Third Visit: (Tickets Booked!) April 12, 2014 - May 10, 2014 (US)

I've been through a few times now and have never had any major problems. I now just say I'm visiting a friend (technically true as my so is a friend, just a very special one). They usually ask what job I have, how long I'm staying for and what I plan on doing in the usa. I've never had to show any other evidence, he shouldn't worry too much.

Comment

Thanks so much, okay that's really good to know. As he doesn't have a job and is a student, will that be a problem? I mean he has his scholarship and financial aid which is how he covers things for now.

Comment

I always said a friend when I was using the VWP, it just made things simpler. Tell him to bring anything that ties him to home- they've never asked me for anything but its always good to have in case they want to take him in for secondary questioning. So long as he has a lease and evidence of his Uni course I don't see how not having a job would be a problem. I said I was a student waiting to graduate and the officer was fine with that answer.

They fingerprint you and take your photo at border control, its no big deal at all. Just tell him to relax, all he needs to do is hand the border officer whatever he/she asks for and usually there's just a few simple questions to answer. Even when I came in on the fiancee visa I was only held up an extra 10 minutes to stamp the extra papers I was carrying.

<3 The day we met : 10.31.2009
        <3 Our first Date: 11.04.2009
        The Day we went long distance: 08.08.2010
        <3 He came to England: 12.27.2010-01.07.2011
        <3 My trip to Ohio: 5.29.2011-6.09.2011
        Our first Christmas visit: 12.23.2011-1.7.2011
        Distance closed: 2.29.2012!!!!!!!!

Comment

Thanks Nicole, we'll make sure he has that paper work when he comes to visit, it's comforting to know it you didn't face much resistance as a student. Thank you for sharing your experience and advice

Comment

I'm a US citizen but I went through border control with my (step)daughter who is not a citizen last year and it was much less stressful than I had expected. He just asked me who we were visiting and how long we were planning on staying. I had brought tons of documents to prove that she could travel with me and to prove that she'd be returning home after her visit- we didn't need any of them but it did make me feel better having them organized and ready just in case. I'd tell your SO to have all of the proof in a folder with him although he probably won't need it.

Comment

I told them that I was visiting my boyfriend as I wanted to be upfront and I have never had a problem. The most anyone's ever said about it on the border patrol is ' why is your boyfriend american?' .. And I just explained how we met! Kind of rude but I guess it's their job to find out the information! Like everyone else has said just make sure he has all of his documentation (return flights, address of where he's staying, esta etc.) and I'm sure he will be fine

Comment

Thank you so much for all the replies! We'll definitely make sure he's got the paper work he needs just in case, it's really comforting to hear all your experiences, he and I both feel much more at ease about the whole thing now

Comment

As everyone before me has stated, it's really good to have proof ready to back up your statements, just in case. I had a special little folder every single time and it boosts confidence.
                  Fingerprints and photo are a routine step, i've had that done at every entry to the us after 2009 (last visit before that was in the 90's )

I've always told i'd be with friends and family, depending on who I was ending up seeing during the trip (I have family in the states too).

Most importantly, your SO just needs to relax, smile, and answer short polite answers. It will all be ok! Have a great visit!!
                  Don't be dismayed at goodbyes. A farewell is necessary before you can meet again.
                  And meeting again, after moments or lifetime, is certain for those who are friends.
                  ~Richard Bach

“Always,” said Snape.

Comment

I visited my SO in the summer for a month and it was completely fine... they just ask you what the purpose of visit is and then some general questions. I don't see anything wrong with saying your visiting your girlfriend - that's what I said, well I said boyfriend but you know. Seriously nothing to worry about, I just made sure I had the address I was staying at for the trip and that's about all you'll need! Seriously it's completely not a big deal.

Comment

I have just go back from the US, and had exactly the same worries as your boyfriend, I can tell you everything was fine. I was asked what I was doing in the US, I said visiting my girlfriend, he asked if I was at school and I said yeah at uni. That was it. Have a great time together.

Comment

I just got back from Australia, and I don't know if you've ever seen Border Security Australia, but seeing that made me worry a little, haha.
                        Getting in to Aus wasn't different from getting into any other country I've been to, though.
                        They've got all these rules, such as: you have to have evidence that you have a reason to go back to your home country (such as work, study, a house etc). And you have to have enough money to provide for yourself.
                        They won't ask questions like that except for when you act suspicious according to them.
                        When i went so Australia i didn't know the exact adress, so I just filled in the State I was headed to, that I was going to a friend and his phone number.

So if your boyfriend doesn't look like a smuggler and doesn't act all strange while waiting for passport controll, I wouldn't worry too much about it

Comment

I've entered the US twice now and each time they asked me the same thing - where I was staying, who I would be staying with, how long I was staying for and what I planned to do when I was here. I always told them staying with friends, or meeting up with friends along the way, and where I would be visiting.

This time round they were really nice and suggested I visit the grand canyon (I mentioned I would be in vegas for a few days) and told me to be careful whilst travelling alone

Comment

Working...
                          X