Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to deal with my SO relatives

Hi everyone

My LDR started 4 months ago and after 2 months I told about that to my parents and sister. My mum and sister understand and accept it, my dad is a little bit worry. My SO told about that with her sister, it was OK, she just said to be careful, but when she told about us to her brother, it was not the case. He was worry, he tough it was a scam and he tried to change her mind ...
    His reaction make her scary now and she don't know how to deal with that and how to talk about me with her parents. She is so scary about their reaction.
    I just talk with her about that on the phone, and that made her cry. She said than if their parents disagree, she don't know if she will be able to deal with it.
    I tried to reassure her, I told her than I am with her, than all will goes well and, if it's not the case, I can talk to her brother, to their parents to let them know me.

How did you deal in that situation ? What advice can I give her to talk to them ? What can I do ?

Thanks all

You should skype with her parents so they can meet you and see you're a genuine person. You can even have your parents and her parents talk to each other. If there is a language barrier, then just be ready to translate!

Comment

Visit. Talk to them.
      I made love to him only twice, she thought and looked at the man laying asleep beside her. And yet still it is as if we have been together forever, as if he has always known my life, my soul, my body, my light, my pain
      - Paulo Coelho, "Eleven minutes"

"Bız yüzyılın aşkı vardır" - We have dated since Sept. 2013. To see our full story, click here https://members.lovingfromadistance....and-our-visits

Comment

Thanks for your advices.
        For sure I will talk with them. But she have no webcam at home, we use it when she is in office but she will buy one.
        She have to talk to them first and that is the problem. Her parents are a little old-fashion and she don't know how to broach the topic. It was easy with her sister and brother, but she don't know how they will react and that block her.

Comment

You are 29....how old is she? I don't see why her family should have anything to say.
          sigpic

I love him. Forever. And every day after that.

Comment

Oh, if she lives at home, in Malaysia, I think the family have a say.

Perhaps you can say that it is the new way of courting. If they are old-fashioned, they will appreciate getting involved at an early stage. Perhaps you can write them an e-mail telling them about yourself before the webcam is in place.
            I made love to him only twice, she thought and looked at the man laying asleep beside her. And yet still it is as if we have been together forever, as if he has always known my life, my soul, my body, my light, my pain
            - Paulo Coelho, "Eleven minutes"

"Bız yüzyılın aşkı vardır" - We have dated since Sept. 2013. To see our full story, click here https://members.lovingfromadistance....and-our-visits

Comment

She is 27 and she have her own house, but actually she rent it and live with her parents because she don't wanna stay alone at home.

Their is a lot of cultural differences between us (life style, education, religion, ...). It's OK for us and for my family, but she think we will have a problem with her family cause it could be not possible for us to have a religious wedding for example. In addition, she come from a wealthy family, which is not my case and she think it could be an other difficulty for us.

In her culture, parental approval remains important and she can't do without.

I think if they know me all can goes well, but she have to talk with them first and find the good words to make them agree to try to know me.

Comment

Working...
              X