Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

those "what??" moments (food, slang, etc.)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Moon View Post
    We're not, our banks just aren't as technologically advanced as yours.
    Accurate. :P

I hate checks. The only one I still write is for rent. Everything else is electronic these days.

Comment

Originally posted by 80anthea View Post
      Chuffing is short for 'chuffing nora' or 'chuffing 'eck'...
      *blinks*
      *stares*

Chuffing nora? Chuffing 'eck? That didn't clear anything up.. :P

Comment

There are soooo many arguments over scones. I personally rhyme it with gone. However a bigger argument than how to pronounce it, is what you have on it and which order you put things on: you can be evicted from Cornwall for getting it wrong
        Pretty sure I'll be evicted.
        When I make them at home, I usually eat them plain, unless I've made lemon curd, and then I'll eat them with lemon curd.
        If I get one in a coffee shop, I'll probably have it with raspberry or strawberry jam.

I'm assuming clotted cream is supposed to be in there somewhere? We don't really do clotted cream.

Comment

Originally posted by silvermoonfairy3 View Post
          Accurate. :P

I hate checks. The only one I still write is for rent. Everything else is electronic these days.
          yes, checks, not cheques... I'm trying to shake off the British English they teach us but it's deep in there. My SO is originally from New Mexico and I've come across all kinds of weird animals and weather phenomenon that I have never heard of before...

He thinks it's weird that kids take shoes off at school here. Americans like to walk around in their shoes but Finns want to keep their house clean and always take shoes off at the door without asking...

Comment

Ah the never ending cookies vs biscuits vs scones debate! My SO tried to explain to me how his way of classification was right and failed miserably. I was utterly confused to why things were so complicatedly named.

Speaking of complicated, I still haven't got down cockney slang. Phrases like "apples and pears" and "cameron tolls" still baffle me. Besides Brit slang, there's also Scot slang which complicates things even more. Just to name a few:

-Greeting: crying
            -Piece: sandwhich
            -Coupon: face
            -Juice: soda pop
            -Haud your wheest: slow down
            -Giving it laldy: go for it!
            -Wha's his pus?: what's his name/face?
            -Jakie: junkie
            -crabbit: grumpy
            -Radge: idiot, but also used for greeting friends

Complete craziness sometimes. O.o

"I'll hold you in my heart til I can hold you in my arms."

Met Online: January 5th 2014
            Started dating: January 19th 2014
            My visit to Scotland: May 10th-14th 2014
            His visit to the US: November 2014

Comment

Originally posted by MyHeartsInScotland View Post
              Ah the never ending cookies vs biscuits vs scones debate! My SO tried to explain to me how his way of classification was right and failed miserably. I was utterly confused to why things were so complicatedly named.

Speaking of complicated, I still haven't got down cockney slang. Phrases like "apples and pears" and "cameron tolls" still baffle me. Besides Brit slang, there's also Scot slang which complicates things even more. Just to name a few:

-Greeting: crying
              -Piece: sandwhich
              -Coupon: face
              -Juice: soda pop
              -Haud your wheest: slow down
              -Giving it laldy: go for it!
              -Wha's his pus?: what's his name/face?
              -Jakie: junkie
              -crabbit: grumpy
              -Radge: idiot, but also used for greeting friends

Complete craziness sometimes. O.o
              OMG, that is all kinds of craziness! I don't think I could keep up! ^^

Comment

'put wood in'th oyle' confused my SO for ages!

Comment

Some other good Yorkshireisms for ye:

not enough room to swing a cat - a small room
                  neither use nor ornament - useless
                  more brass na brains - more money than sense
                  were ya born in a barn? - close the door
                  lug - ear
                  cack-handed - left handed
                  Aye up - hello, how are you?
                  Topped his/her clogs - he/she died

Comment

Originally posted by emsimes View Post
                    OMG, that is all kinds of craziness! I don't think I could keep up! ^^
                    Haha I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks so! It's like he's speaking English, but not really. I've thrown him a few of our phrases like "shorty" and "manscaping" which he didn't understand, but he has taken to "jelly" "totes" and "cray cray" which are so much funny being said with an accent. Have you made your man from Germany say any of our slang words?

'put wood in'th oyle' confused my SO for ages!
                    Some other good Yorkshireisms for ye:

not enough room to swing a cat - a small room
                    neither use nor ornament - useless
                    more brass na brains - more money than sense
                    were ya born in a barn? - close the door
                    lug - ear
                    cack-handed - left handed
                    Aye up - hello, how are you?
                    Topped his/her clogs - he/she died
                    I understood about half of those! It's much easier to understand when someone explains it and I can kind of see where those phrases might have originated, but if were said in passing, I'd be terribly confused! What does "put wood in'th oyle" mean? Like to start a fire or heat things up?

"I'll hold you in my heart til I can hold you in my arms."

Met Online: January 5th 2014
                    Started dating: January 19th 2014
                    My visit to Scotland: May 10th-14th 2014
                    His visit to the US: November 2014

Comment

I can't think of any off the top of my head, but I do remember saying "...what?" many, many times during our first round of dating. I think moving to England took some of the Scottish out of him :P

I can't wait for him to hear me say "jeetyet", though. Or something similarly Pennsylvanian that I haven't said at him yet.

Comment

Haha I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks so! It's like he's speaking English, but not really. I've thrown him a few of our phrases like "shorty" and "manscaping" which he didn't understand, but he has taken to "jelly" "totes" and "cray cray" which are so much funny being said with an accent. Have you made your man from Germany say any of our slang words?

I understood about half of those! It's much easier to understand when someone explains it and I can kind of see where those phrases might have originated, but if were said in passing, I'd be terribly confused! What does "put wood in'th oyle" mean? Like to start a fire or heat things up?

It means close the door, put the wood (wooden door) in the hole (doorway). We're a simple bunch.

Comment

He he he, we go through this too many times to count. I am a bit of a reader and my mom is a trivia nut so I cant remember half of the times but he thinks he knows all about Americana from TV and Movies over here but when I tell him............." You're Greeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeat!" and he does not get it, I have to laugh. Some of our stuff in USA that has not been around for decades in still in our society like the Acme store on Road Runner that shipped everything instantly and the Jolly Green Giant or Mister Clean. My kids knows this stuff but my SO had never heard of any of it. Needless to say a marathon of old Bugs Bunny/Road Runner eps is planned in near future. LOL.
                          "Remember not only to say the right thing in the right place, but far more difficult still, to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment. "
                          Benjamin Franklin

Comment

"Nutter butter" I thought it was one of his silly nicknames, it actually is a chocolate bar

Relationship began: 05/22/2012
                            First Met: 03/21/2013 - 03/30/2013
                            Second Visit: 06/06/2013 - 08/21/2013 ~ Proposal: 07/06/2013 ♥
                            Third Visit: 10/09/2013 - 01/08/2013
                            Closed the distance: 11/20/2014 ♥
                            Married: 1/24/2015
                            Became Resident: 9/14/2015

Comment

Originally posted by snow View Post
                              "Nutter butter" I thought it was one of his silly nicknames, it actually is a chocolate bar
                              Don't forget the peanut butter in it.....yum yum.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nutter_Butter
                              "Remember not only to say the right thing in the right place, but far more difficult still, to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment. "
                              Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Haha, that's cute!! The only slang word my SO has picked up is "dude", which is so stereotypically popular here in Cali
                                He also learned how to make the West Coast gang sign while he was studying here, but I definitely didn't teach him that one

Comment

Working...
                                X