Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lucybelle View Post
    No, it wouldn't.

Also, I learned the metric system in school as that's what is used in science. So as a US citizen I learned both systems
    yes, but I think it might be better if we learned them both. Getting to chemistry and suddenly needing to know the metric system helps no one, but, that's my opinion.
    "We are beings attracted to the essence of hope, and life is the all encompassing hope that everything can change; that everything can be better."

Comment

And a great cultural difference for international LDRs with a US citizen is getting to learn both systems.
      It would be very hard for the US to transition though.

I did go through culture shock but I was visiting my SO's country for research and didn't meet him until I had a little while to settle. I hated Guatemalan food when I first arrived but I later found out it was due to bad cooking rather than bad recipes (love it now). It was and still is difficult dealing with the perceptions many people I've met there have of me just based on appearance. I've realized there is no possible way for me to fit in so I just try to embrace my "foreigner" status and appear like I understand where I am rather than a lost tourist.
      When two hearts are meant for each other, no distance is too far,
      no time is too long, and no other love can break them apart.

Comment

I had a month of summer programme in Germany way before I met my SO, so my time with him in Germany as I was on student exchange was barely my first time there (4th, actually, although the 2nd and 3rd was just for holiday). I didn't experience culture shock, it was so smooth sailing for me. I've been learning the language, and it got easier as time goes by, I love the food, the way students meet to cook together (in Sg we just eat out), and I can't wait to go back to further my studies!

After my exchange programme, now I'm currently experiencing a reverse culture shock instead ._.

Comment

Today in Norway I bought milk and I thought it was so odd -looking, until I remember that the milk carton I pictured in my head was the Turkish one.
          I made love to him only twice, she thought and looked at the man laying asleep beside her. And yet still it is as if we have been together forever, as if he has always known my life, my soul, my body, my light, my pain
          - Paulo Coelho, "Eleven minutes"

"Bız yüzyılın aşkı vardır" - We have dated since Sept. 2013. To see our full story, click here https://members.lovingfromadistance....and-our-visits

Comment

Working...
          X