Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The beginning

Hello everyone,

As you may have noticed that I am brand new to this forum. So I will tell everyone my story!

I am currently on a WH visa from the UK in New Zealand. I have met my wonderful boyfriend who is actually a Kiwi. We have been going strong for 2 months now (not a long time I know) but we are so in love. However, as some of you may know NZ is very strict on visas and I have already been here for 7 months. I am thinking of trying to apply for a work visa and get a job here for another year, however my chances of getting a work visa are very slim. I am currently Au Pairing and my contract for this job is finishing in 5 weeks. Due to some issues I do not want to renew this contract but in doing so I need to find a job and somewhere to stay. This is where my boyfriend comes in, part of the reason why I want to stay in NZ is because of him and the other reasons are that I love NZ and I want to make a fresh start out here - my family life back home was a bit unstable. I would very much like to stay on here in NZ but the only way of doing that is by either the work visa or a partner visa.

For a partner visa I need to live with my boyfriend and prove we are in a stable relationship. However it's so early in the process that I don't know what to do - he doesn't seem keen on this option but the thought of leaving him makes me upset everyday. Any advice or tips on what to do would be helpful? Would you do an LDR from UK to NZ?

While the distances are slightly further than UK-> US, it is a very similar situation to be in as myself. The only advantage I have is that I have known my GF for 3 years as a friend before getting romantically involved only recently. I am going back in a week's time to find out whether we are in this for the long haul, knowing that it is probably 2 years before I will be in a position to wrap everything up we need to get sorted and move, but putting all the facts on the table, and maybe how to address some of the complications we both have.

I know ultimately that if I want to move to the US to close the distance I am going to need to be married (I am probably going to leave my job, so a work sponsored visa is likely out the question), we have discussed it, and while it is on the table, it is not on the table for 'now' which means that we are accepting the LDR until we feel that this is going places and going to work.

If you do both decide to commit, it is tough, there is no way round saying that. Toughest times are most when you are down and lonely, but even good times are slightly dulled as you know your partner is not with you and you wish they could be to share it.

If it were me I would try to get the extension to the work visa, if that fails, you should probably move home, and then see how things work with the LDR. If you can both be happy with it more than sad, then in due course look to close the distance again whether that is marriage or by another visa method. There is no rush in these things, but be prepared that it could well be a long time before you can move out there for good (unless you do a series of WH visas etc)

Good luck!

Comment

How about a student visa, is that an option? If you get a part time job as student you can then use that to apply for a Work visa or Partner visa.
      I made love to him only twice, she thought and looked at the man laying asleep beside her. And yet still it is as if we have been together forever, as if he has always known my life, my soul, my body, my light, my pain
      - Paulo Coelho, "Eleven minutes"

"Bız yüzyılın aşkı vardır" - We have dated since Sept. 2013. To see our full story, click here https://members.lovingfromadistance....and-our-visits

Comment

As others have said, you could try for alternate visas, but yeah, an LDR might be unavoidable for at least a little bit.

What does you SO do for a living? Could he come to the UK at all?

Comment

Originally posted by Kittified View Post
          Hello everyone,

As you may have noticed that I am brand new to this forum. So I will tell everyone my story!
          welcome!

[...]part of the reason why I want to stay in NZ is because of him and the other reasons are that I love NZ and I want to make a fresh start out here - my family life back home was a bit unstable. I would very much like to stay on here in NZ but the only way of doing that is by either the work visa or a partner visa.

For a partner visa I need to live with my boyfriend and prove we are in a stable relationship. However it's so early in the process that I don't know what to do - he doesn't seem keen on this option but the thought of leaving him makes me upset everyday. Any advice or tips on what to do would be helpful?
          It sounds to me like you already know pretty much what you want: you want to move to NZ. Give yourself some time to take a look at all options and look for the niche jobs...

Would you do an LDR from UK to NZ?
          For this you should rather ask yourself and your partner and maybe try the different possibilities to find what is best for you.
          Do YOU want to stay in contact?
          (How would you envision that? --> Try it that way.)
          Is a relationship where you could see your partner only once or twice a year in person conform with YOUR conception of life?
          What is HIS view on it?

Comment

Working...
          X