Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does anyone actually know any success stories of LDRs over three years long?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does anyone actually know any success stories of LDRs over three years long?

My boyfriend and I met in high school in Japan and have been together for three years, but we recently started an LDR because I decided to go to college in Canada while he stayed in Japan for his. I am trying to finish a four-year program in three years, just so we can end the distance sooner, but if that doesn't work out, we will be stuck in an LDR for four whole years. I plan to go visit him every summer break, but 3-4 years is still a very long time and I am tired of getting the same reaction from everybody every time I say that I am in an LDR -- they all smile and say good luck but you can tell they're actually thinking "just give it a few months, it won't last."
    I know that in the end it all comes down to how much faith WE have in each other, and no one else's opinion matters... but I just wanted to hear some encouraging stories of LDRs that successfully lasted for that long!

Originally posted by lovingthealien View Post
    My boyfriend and I met in high school in Japan and have been together for three years, but we recently started an LDR because I decided to go to college in Canada while he stayed in Japan for his. I am trying to finish a four-year program in three years, just so we can end the distance sooner, but if that doesn't work out, we will be stuck in an LDR for four whole years. I plan to go visit him every summer break, but 3-4 years is still a very long time and I am tired of getting the same reaction from everybody every time I say that I am in an LDR -- they all smile and say good luck but you can tell they're actually thinking "just give it a few months, it won't last."
    I know that in the end it all comes down to how much faith WE have in each other, and no one else's opinion matters... but I just wanted to hear some encouraging stories of LDRs that successfully lasted for that long!
    It has taken us around 3.5 years total thus far. We have recently starting closing the distance a few weeks ago. We are together and in a few months getting married to legalize it all with immigration.

No offense to the others, but this is 2014 and many many many people make LDRs work for 3 years or longer.
    Last edited by Hollandia; September 21, 2014, 02:20 PM.
    "Remember not only to say the right thing in the right place, but far more difficult still, to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment. "
    Benjamin Franklin

Comment

There are tons of us here who have successfully closed the distance after years apart and many more who have gone 5+ years long distance and are still happily together. I just recently moved to my SO after 5 years of long distance and while it's only been about a month and a half I'd say we're doing very well together.

Just look around the forum and you'll see for yourself how many of us there are.

Notes:
      Met: 8.17.09
      Started Dating: 8.20.09
      First Met: 10.2.10
      Closed the Distance: 8.9.14

Comment

Originally posted by Hollandia View Post
        It has taken us around 3.5 years total thus far. We have recently starting closing the distance a few weeks ago. We are together and in a few months getting married to legalize it all with immigration.

No offense to the others, but this is 2014 and many many many people make LDRs work for 3 years or longer.
        Ahhh congratulations!!!! So happy to see that it can work!

Comment

Originally posted by Sora1101 View Post
          There are tons of us here who have successfully closed the distance after years apart and many more who have gone 5+ years long distance and are still happily together. I just recently moved to my SO after 5 years of long distance and while it's only been about a month and a half I'd say we're doing very well together.

Just look around the forum and you'll see for yourself how many of us there are.
          Wow, five years... I applaud you.
          I just joined this website and haven't had much time to look around at all the forums, but it seems like LDRs of 3+ years aren't uncommon at all! So glad I found this community

Comment

My friends were in a relationship, married and then were LD 4 years internationally because of school.

My brother in law and his now wife were national LD for all 6 years of university education.

My husband's friend met her now husband through work, they were CD for some months, then I think it took them 3 years of international LD to marry /close the distance.

My SO 's male best friend is engaged and soon to be father with a woman living in my city, they will probably apply for fiance visa next year, they have been LD 6 years.

We have been together 1 year, all of the relationship international LD. We are looking at least a couple of more years long distance, as he is obliged to take Turkish military next year.
            Last edited by differentcountries; September 21, 2014, 04:28 PM.
            I made love to him only twice, she thought and looked at the man laying asleep beside her. And yet still it is as if we have been together forever, as if he has always known my life, my soul, my body, my light, my pain
            - Paulo Coelho, "Eleven minutes"

"Bız yüzyılın aşkı vardır" - We have dated since Sept. 2013. To see our full story, click here https://members.lovingfromadistance....and-our-visits

Comment

We were in the same position that you are - I went away to school for four years - and we'll be closing the distance again in just over two months. It's definitely possible
              In all the world there is no heart for me like yours.
              In all the world there is no love for you like mine.
              -- Maya Angelou

Comment

My biggest inspiration is Mims27 and her fiancee. They have been 4+ years LD and are now preparing their visa to getting married!!

Relationship began: 05/22/2012
                First Met: 03/21/2013 - 03/30/2013
                Second Visit: 06/06/2013 - 08/21/2013 ~ Proposal: 07/06/2013 ♥
                Third Visit: 10/09/2013 - 01/08/2013
                Closed the distance: 11/20/2014 ♥
                Married: 1/24/2015
                Became Resident: 9/14/2015

Comment

i'm 2 years in and i've just started college so that's at least another 4 years it's good to see that it's possible

Comment

This forum inspires me daily not to listen to others and push on! Hope things work out with you two.

Comment

Almost 4 years here. It's not easy but you fight for what you love.

Comment

Originally posted by snow View Post
                        My biggest inspiration is Mims27 and her fiancee. They have been 4+ years LD and are now preparing their visa to getting married!!
                        Aww that's so sweet!
                        We are 4 years and 7 months and it'll probably another year before we close the distance. We just got engaged and we plan to get married soon and start the visa process. I have no idea how we've made it work this long but we have! And it's been worth every second!

"True love isn't about being inseparable; it’s about two people being true to each other even when they are separated."
                        Married April 18th, 2015!!
                        Distance Closed October 4th, 2015!!

Comment

by the time my SO and I even get close to closing the distance it will have been 4/5 years. we plan on her coming over to study for at least 4 years so who knows after that we still might not have closed the distance completely after that though. if you love each other enough and try your best, you should be able to make it :3
                          my girls <3

Josie (SO)
                          Met online ~ 17th August 2017 ~
                          Met in person ~ 30th August 2017 ~
                          Became official ~ 15th September 2017 ~
                          Closed the distance and moved in together! ~ 18th June 2018 ~

Ash
                          Met online ~ 21st November 2018 ~
                          Met in person ~ 26th November 2018 ~
                          Became official ~ 4th December 2018 ~
                          All moved in together! ~ 30th May 2019 ~

Comment

Add oil!
                            It's definitely possible and this forum is full of proof that distance means nothing.
                            As for myself, we've been long distance for 3.5 years and still going strong.
                            Probably won't close the distance till I graduate from university at least, which is another 2 years. :3
                            [CENTER]

first met: ~10.03
                            became official: 28.03.11
                            first meeting: 08.06.12 - 24.06.12 (jason in vancouver)
                            second meeting: 18.07.13 - 30.07.13 (jason in vancouver)
                            our first vacation together: 30.07.13 - 20.08.13 (cynthia in new orleans)
                            third meeting: 14.12.13 - 03.01.14 (cynthia in new orleans)
                            fourth meeting: 21.05.14-02.06.14 (jason in vancouver)
                            surprise! 13.08.14-27.08.14 (cynthia surprises jason in new orleans)
                            viva las vegas: 21.12.14 - 24.12.14 (c+j vacation together in vegas!)
                            jason's 1st canadian christmas: 24.12.14-02.01.15
                            my first mardi gras: 12.02.15-20.02.15

Comment

We have been LD for around 2 years now (we are temporarily CD during our gap year) and are heading to different unis in September next year, which means we're looking at another 4-6 years of LD at least. It's hard work for sure but definitely not impossible.
                              We part only to meet again ~ J.Gay

Comment

Working...
                              X