Time difference rant! 15:30

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Time difference rant! 15:30

When the clock goes back in the USA I lose sleep because I have to get up 1hr earlier to talk to SO. He's in Australia and I'm in USA.

I hate this 15:30 time difference!

I really hope this will be the last winter we'll have to endure, because it is just so difficult. I will get back into the routine eventually but right now I'm struggling with the change. He goes to bed early because he gets up at 3am. Even if he tries to stay up a little later, our conversation is not as interesting because his eyes are shutting down.

I'm not really looking for advice, since there's nothing that we can really change... just ranting lol.

Anyone else dealing with major time difference?
    Met Online : July 2013
    Met in person : April - May 2014 (3 wks)
    2nd visit : June - August 2014 (2 months)
    3rd visit : December - Jan (2wks)
    Proposal : December 2014
    Closed distance : February 2015
    Married : April 5, 2015

Yep! The time difference between Perth, Australia and Oregon, USA is 16 hours.
    Dave has sacrificed so much sleep so we are able to talk. Luckily for us, he has always been a night owl, but when I go to bed at 9.30pm, he will go to bed at the same time, which is 5.30am! The only time we really get to talk is at night, because I work long hours and he works at night. It just works out.

Comment

I have no right to complain as my SO and I both live in Australia. But his state is in daylight savings and mine isn't. So he's an hour ahead. I get up 2 hours earlier now so I'm dressed and ready before he calls as he's driving to work. Otherwise we miss our daily chat window. Then when I finally get ready for bed I go to call him about 8:30pm, it's 9:30pm his time and he's asleep as he's been up since 4am. I'm finding the extra hour hard to adjust to, let alone the MASSIVE difference you have. I take my hat off to all of you, you are truly inspirational. I wish there was someway to help. Keep on, remember how much the relationship is worth any amounts of sleep deprivation. I've always wanted to know, how long or how to you/ or you partner adjust to jet lag?
      Last edited by Redheart14; November 4, 2014, 05:34 PM.

Comment

Jetlag is a b*tch lol but I try to combat it by not sleeping the night before my flight, which is usually daytime in my destination. When I returned from Oz in August I was a zombie for 2 days. This trip I will only have one day between my flight and work so I know I'm going to be in big trouble. Not to mention that my return trip will be a whopping 30hrs!

I'm in for a ride lol

Comment

Originally posted by Emilia View Post
          Yep! The time difference between Perth, Australia and Oregon, USA is 16 hours.
          Dave has sacrificed so much sleep so we are able to talk. Luckily for us, he has always been a night owl, but when I go to bed at 9.30pm, he will go to bed at the same time, which is 5.30am! The only time we really get to talk is at night, because I work long hours and he works at night. It just works out.

Oh you are so lucky that your SO can stay up late! My SO is a zombie after 9pm because he gets up so early.

Comment

Travelling the America the first time, the first two days of our trip were messed up. Fell asleep for 14 hours haha! We tried the whole going to bed at the normal time, but it didn't really work haha.

Comment

Originally posted by Petals View Post
              Jetlag is a b*tch lol but I try to combat it by not sleeping the night before my flight, which is usually daytime in my destination. When I returned from Oz in August I was a zombie for 2 days. This trip I will only have one day between my flight and work so I know I'm going to be in big trouble. Not to mention that my return trip will be a whopping 30hrs!

I'm in for a ride lol
              30 hours! wow, I'm glad my travel time is only going to be about 10. And thankfully me and the SO only have a 5 hour time difference so it isn't so bad, especially since the only time we can really chat is at night, it just works out for us.
              Flying out to meet him for the first time: 16th November 2014 - 14th December 2014
              Flying out to meet him for the second time: 3rd June 2015 -18th July 2015
              Flying out to meet him for the third time: 12th December 2016 - 12th January 2017
              His first flight to me: April 2018 DENIED ENTRY
              Flying out to meet him for the fourth time: 23rd June 2018 - 7th July 2018
              Got Engaged: 12th December 2016
              Married: June 29th 2018
              Hoping to close the distance: 2019/2020

Comment

Originally posted by bubblehits View Post
                30 hours! wow, I'm glad my travel time is only going to be about 10. And thankfully me and the SO only have a 5 hour time difference so it isn't so bad, especially since the only time we can really chat is at night, it just works out for us.
                30hrs include layovers. Actual flight time will be about 23hrs...Lucky me lol

Comment

I feel yah, Petals! My SO is in Aus too and it drives me nuts and the flight there is awfully long. Luckily next time we see each other he's coming here to pick me up, meet my family, and then we'll fly back together (:

Comment

Understood here! I'm 14 hours ahead of my SO since I'm in Japan and he's in the States. It ends up working out since he goes to work around 7am his time so I give him a call around 9pm my time. We have established a routine of calling each other during this time. We don't make every day, but that makes the times we do talk that much better. It's all about finding out what works for both of you.

Good luck!

Comment

Thanks for the replies

We have recently started to have our Skype Weekend calls when he wakes up, which is my afternoon. We're just mixing things up a bit here to find that middle ground.

Weekdays I still get up 1hr earlier to talk to him and that is becoming more routine. I hate this stupid daylight saving time crap lol. We were just fine before!

The good thing is that he makes our communication schedule a priority so he's always trying to find ways to create time for us to talk even when he's buried under work pressure.

Comment

I've been lucky because my SO runs his own business and he can arrange his schedules. We can almost always talk during his lunch time / early afternoon which is my evening. Otherwise it would always be sleepy time for one of us now with our 7 hour time difference.

Comment

Originally posted by farandaway View Post
                          I've been lucky because my SO runs his own business and he can arrange his schedules. We can almost always talk during his lunch time / early afternoon which is my evening. Otherwise it would always be sleepy time for one of us now with our 7 hour time difference.
                          My SO runs his own business too but he has more jobs than employees right now, so he's extremely busy. He's up at 3am and goes to bed at 10pm. Lunch time is 15 mins max for my SO lol and he usually sends me a quick text.

Count your blessings

Comment

So I went out last night but decided to come home around 1am so I could get some sleep and wake up in time for our weekend Skye call at 5am. For some reason I forgot to set my alarm (which is odd), so didn't wake up until 2 hrs after our scheduled call. I woke up to text messages, Skype messages and a phonecall from my SO. It turns out that my phone was on vibrate so I heard none of the notifications ....argghhhh...Of course when I woke up my SO was already sleeping since he's 15:30 hrs ahead of me.

So this is the second time in 2 months I have missed our arranged Skype date because I went out the night before...though in this situation other factors contributed to this. I feel so miserable...can't even concentrate properly.

I just need him to wake up so I can hear his voice and explain. I know he will understand and probably not even upset. I don't want him to think I am not prioritizing our relationship because that is so far from the truth.

This stupid time difference is so frustrating.

Comment

Yes, the time difference is very hard for me and my SO. The Philippines is 13 hours ahead of ET (12 with daylight savings time). We manage though, and we arrange our sleeping the best we can. For example she will get up at 3AM while it's 3/4PM here, or I will stay up late into the night. Just depends on our work schedules but we make it work. It's still annoying though.

Comment

Working...
                              X