Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Moving to the U.S. not through marriage?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Moving to the U.S. not through marriage?

My significant other is from the United States, and we're trying to close the distance. I'm looking for a job in his area to make this happen.

What scares me is that almost all people I know, even highly qualified professionals, were able to move only after getting married to American citizens.

Is there anyone here, who can share a different success story (yours or someone else's)?

why don't you want to get married?
    I made love to him only twice, she thought and looked at the man laying asleep beside her. And yet still it is as if we have been together forever, as if he has always known my life, my soul, my body, my light, my pain
    - Paulo Coelho, "Eleven minutes"

"Bız yüzyılın aşkı vardır" - We have dated since Sept. 2013. To see our full story, click here https://members.lovingfromadistance....and-our-visits

Comment

Unfortunately, getting into the US is very difficult even on marriage based visas. I have not heard of anyone who made it on a work based visa, sorry. I recommend www.visajourney.com, there might be some more information for you.

Relationship began: 05/22/2012
      First Met: 03/21/2013 - 03/30/2013
      Second Visit: 06/06/2013 - 08/21/2013 ~ Proposal: 07/06/2013 ♥
      Third Visit: 10/09/2013 - 01/08/2013
      Closed the distance: 11/20/2014 ♥
      Married: 1/24/2015
      Became Resident: 9/14/2015

Comment

Snow, thanks for the link!

Differentcountries, I think everything is good in it's season :-)

Comment

The ones I know who went to the US apart from through marriage are a couple who are friends of the family; he got a job in a Norwegian company in the US and she got a job as a doctor/scientist in an US hospital. The whole family whith their children lived there for years.

You can temporarily close the distance through a student visa (if, of course, you'd be intersted in studying something).
          I made love to him only twice, she thought and looked at the man laying asleep beside her. And yet still it is as if we have been together forever, as if he has always known my life, my soul, my body, my light, my pain
          - Paulo Coelho, "Eleven minutes"

"Bız yüzyılın aşkı vardır" - We have dated since Sept. 2013. To see our full story, click here https://members.lovingfromadistance....and-our-visits

Comment

Unfortunately, it's really difficult to come here even with marriage visas, let alone without them.

If you want to try for a work visa, just about your only hope is if you have an in-demand skillset, usually in technical fields like engineering or medicine.

Comment

A cousin of mine recently moved to Cali with her husband, since her husband got a job offer in Silicon Valley (hardware engineering). I know the move is only for as long as that company wants to keep him there though. Co-workers of my SO (biochemistry R&D) manage to stay in the US for their work, but they go through a constant cycle of renewing their visas. Even they joke about marrying a guy/girl in the US so they can make the move.

Married: June 9th, 2015

Comment

We have been wondering the same question recently, too. J wants to look for work in the states and get sponsored on an H-1B visa. Luckily, he's in tech (engineering degree, works as a game programmer currently with focus on AI, would probably move into software engineering), so it won't be impossible, but it will be very difficult to find someone to sponsor him. Since it is related, if any of you have tips, please share!
                Canadian permanent residence APPROVED!
                Closed the Distance: 09/26/2019
                Engaged: 09/26/2020

Comment

I moved to the US (not for love) on a J1 visa, but of course it has an expiry date lol. I can extend for another 2 yrs then the next route is HB visa and green card with a company sponsorship. I know quite a number of people who have settled in the US based on work, but they are teachers.
                  Met Online : July 2013
                  Met in person : April - May 2014 (3 wks)
                  2nd visit : June - August 2014 (2 months)
                  3rd visit : December - Jan (2wks)
                  Proposal : December 2014
                  Closed distance : February 2015
                  Married : April 5, 2015

Comment

Wow, after reading how it's almost impossible for someone to move to the united states I'm not feeling so great :\

Comment

Originally posted by somewhereinbetween View Post
                      Wow, after reading how it's almost impossible for someone to move to the united states I'm not feeling so great :\
                      It's difficult, but not impossible. I am actually moving in 11 days on a K1 visa.

Relationship began: 05/22/2012
                      First Met: 03/21/2013 - 03/30/2013
                      Second Visit: 06/06/2013 - 08/21/2013 ~ Proposal: 07/06/2013 ♥
                      Third Visit: 10/09/2013 - 01/08/2013
                      Closed the distance: 11/20/2014 ♥
                      Married: 1/24/2015
                      Became Resident: 9/14/2015

Comment

My partner and I are doing the complete opposite. She's moving here from the USA. Fingers crossed the process of immigration doesn't cause us to pull out too much hair.
                        ---------------
                        Closed the distance: 14th January 2015

Comment

Originally posted by lordpsymon View Post
                          My partner and I are doing the complete opposite. She's moving here from the USA. Fingers crossed the process of immigration doesn't cause us to pull out too much hair.
                          I'm just commenting on your profile picture, Tim Tams! I want to try them so bad.

Comment

Originally posted by lordpsymon View Post
                            Which visa is she using?
                            Canadian permanent residence APPROVED!
                            Closed the Distance: 09/26/2019
                            Engaged: 09/26/2020

Comment

Originally posted by kittyo9 View Post
                              Which visa is she using?
                              We're getting her at first on a working holiday visa for a year, which will give us time to work out how to make that more permanent.
                              ---------------
                              Closed the distance: 14th January 2015

Comment

Working...
                              X