Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New to Long Distance Relationships

Hi, this is my first post

I found this website after googling "long distance relationships"...

I met someone online six weeks ago and we've been chatting every day since. Yesterday we 'spoke' for five hours! We have so much in common it's not funny and I feel a really strong connection to him.

The only problem is I live in Australia and he lives in Greece

I'm noticing that I'm starting to have feelings for him, like I'm falling in love with him, which I find confusing and strange because I've never met anyone online before (and I actually feel a bit stupid typing this)!

I guess I'm wanting to know if other people have been in my situation... I could really do with some support and advice right now. I feel like I'm going crazy LOL.

Thanks for listening
    Last edited by Selena71; November 20, 2014, 03:22 AM. Reason: Typo

Hi Selena! Welcome to the forum.

Me & my SO met online aswell. Eventho our distance is not as big as yours (I live in the Netherlands, he lives in Hungary, around 799 miles of distance). At first, I thought: this is nuts. This will never work. But the more we started to talk, the more I fell in love and realised that this was something I really wanted.

You have to talk about your feelings with him. Tell him how you feel and ask him if he feels the same. Because when he feels the same, it might be worth trying!!

Of course a LDR is difficult, but so many people here already succeeded and now closed the distance forever.

Comment

Originally posted by Ambert View Post
      Hi Selena! Welcome to the forum.

Me & my SO met online aswell. Eventho our distance is not as big as yours (I live in the Netherlands, he lives in Hungary, around 799 miles of distance). At first, I thought: this is nuts. This will never work. But the more we started to talk, the more I fell in love and realised that this was something I really wanted.

You have to talk about your feelings with him. Tell him how you feel and ask him if he feels the same. Because when he feels the same, it might be worth trying!!

Of course a LDR is difficult, but so many people here already succeeded and now closed the distance forever.
      Hi,

Yes, you're right... I need to talk to him about how I feel. When we talk again I will have an open and honest conversation with him about the possibility of us being in a LDR with a view to closing the distance in the future.

I will let you know how it goes. I'm a bit nervous, but I would rather know where I stand with him.

Thank you for your help and advice - I really appreciate it. You and your partner look lovely in your photo

Comment

My advice - as some-one who met online as most of us here have done, is to take things slowly and not rush into things too quickly. By all means mention you like him a lot, are developing feelings, but don't talk about closing the distance just yet, that is pretty sudden to me in the short time you have known him. I'd say hold off that conversation until after you manage to meet - it is a huge risk to relocate without meeting at least once!

6weeks is not a long time, and you need to make sure that you are not projecting your feelings on him, rather than actually falling in love with him, after the honeymoon phase where you are still getting to know some-one you might find you two have a fundamental difference of opinion on something quite important and that it would not work between you etc, so just take your time and don't rush, what will be will be

Comment

I also me my SO online (Facebook), because he was a friend of my brother. The first time we met in person I told him he would fall in love with me and marry me. He did, and we are now engaged. Another success story!
          sigpic

I love him. Forever. And every day after that.

Comment

Originally posted by p_b82 View Post
            My advice - as some-one who met online as most of us here have done, is to take things slowly and not rush into things too quickly. By all means mention you like him a lot, are developing feelings, but don't talk about closing the distance just yet, that is pretty sudden to me in the short time you have known him. I'd say hold off that conversation until after you manage to meet - it is a huge risk to relocate without meeting at least once!

6weeks is not a long time, and you need to make sure that you are not projecting your feelings on him, rather than actually falling in love with him, after the honeymoon phase where you are still getting to know some-one you might find you two have a fundamental difference of opinion on something quite important and that it would not work between you etc, so just take your time and don't rush, what will be will be
            Hi, thanks very much for this advice. It's very sensible and wise!

Yes, I agree. It's mostly likely that I'm projecting my feelings onto him because I don't know him well enough to fall in love with him. I just know that I really, really like him.

We've talked about visiting each other in the future but there are no concrete plans yet.

That is great advice about taking my time too. Thank you so much!

Comment

Originally posted by TaraMarie View Post
              I also me my SO online (Facebook), because he was a friend of my brother. The first time we met in person I told him he would fall in love with me and marry me. He did, and we are now engaged. Another success story!
              Hi, that's fantastic!

Comment

Originally posted by Selena71 View Post
                Hi, thanks very much for this advice. It's very sensible and wise!

Yes, I agree. It's mostly likely that I'm projecting my feelings onto him because I don't know him well enough to fall in love with him. I just know that I really, really like him.

We've talked about visiting each other in the future but there are no concrete plans yet.

That is great advice about taking my time too. Thank you so much!
                No problem at all - hope it works out for you both

Comment

I met my bf online and when I started having feelings for him, I pushed it aside but continued talking to him and got to know him more and more and wow...I fell for him hard but that was over a few months.

We've been "official" for about 8 months and we will be closing the distance early next year. We laugh about how we met (through a silly video game) but we are happy that it happened.

Comment

To the OP, starting a long distance relationship can feel kind of unusual if you've never been in one before. My recommendation has already been mentioned; you'll definitely want to speak with him about your feelings and maybe get his thoughts on you as well as a possible LDR. Obviously you wouldn't want your feelings to continue to develop if he's not interested in you as anything more than a friend, or if he's not someone who thinks a LDR would work between you two. Communication is very, very important in a LDR. Find out his feelings and just discuss everything (pros/cons, will it be possible for us to close the distance, if we can close the distance how long will it take, how much money will it take, etc). Good luck!

Comment

Working...
                    X