Trying to figure out a first meeting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trying to figure out a first meeting

There might be a post about this already on here, but I couldn't find it. So I am going to post this. My SO is in the Philippines and I live in Indiana. We are talking about him coming here within the next year and the planner in me needs to start thinking about how we can make that happen. I have traveled a lot, but I have never had to deal with the visa side of it and even if I had I didn't need a visa to reenter my own country. So what can you tell me about what we need to do so that he can visit here? He said friends of his have told him that he needs to have an invitation from me to make it easier for him to come and that he can stay up to three months. I assume the invitation part is true, what about the visa length? How long can he stay? I know if he had a K-1 visa that he would be allowed to stay for three months before he had to leave or we had to marry, however we are not yet to the point of getting married. Right now we just want to meet one another in person and see if we get along as well in person as we do online. So, how do we start to go about this? How hard is it? How long can he stay? What do we each need to do? Any advice you can offer would be awesome!! Thanks!

My guess is that it would be easier for you to visit him in the Philippines. Have you considered that?

Comment

Ye and I am working on that too. Eventually i would like him to come here to meet my family though. He might acually be able to travel sooner as his job is a good one.

Comment

snow_girl is right in saying it would be easier for you to visit your SO in The Philippines then having them come here. The Philippines does not participate in the US Visa waiver program so they will have to get a visa. The B-2 visa covers what you're looking for, it's basically for family visits, medical treatment and vacation purposes. Your SO will have to prove their visit is recreational and that they plan to stay only for a specific, limited period of time. They also must prove they have enough money to cover their expenses once they get, which judging by your original post it sounds like he has a good job so he should be okay in that respect. He must show he has a home outside of the United States, and that other important ties that will prevent them from trying to overstay their visa (his job, his family, etc).

To get the visa he can get Form DS-160 online, he will also need to assure he has a current Philippines passport that won't expire until at least six months after the last projected day visiting here. He will have to visit the US embassy which is in Manila. There might be other documentation I'm forgetting here. US laws regarding visas, passports, etc is pretty cut and dry, just finding and taking in all the information can be over whelming depending on what you're trying to do. Wait until you're ready to close the distance if you are planning on having him come live here, it's gonna be a lot of fun, haha!

As a US citizen you can travel to the Philippines without a visa for up to 21 days. All you need is your passport (to get back into the USA) and the money...so much easier.

Comment

Thanks for all teh information! That is very helpful and even though he really wants to visit here first 9and I would like that too) in reality the fact that going there might be easier may win out.

Comment

Working...
          X