Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What things do you love/like about your SO culture?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What things do you love/like about your SO culture?

This question may of been asked before, but what things do you love about your SO culture?
    I have always loved the American Culture before I met my fiance, but I have learnt so much more things from him. Like for example he is teaching me about American Football and we are in a fantasy football league together with his family members, it is actually alot of fun! Also I am beginning to enjoy watching American football as well, it's better than Soccer that is popular here in England.
    I love all the things he tells me about American lifestyle, history and the words/phrases I learn about, and I love telling him all about English/British Culture. I love that we discuss daily things about America and about England, he has taught me about different foods there are that we don't have in England, everyday we learn new things from each other. At times we like to joke about the Revolutionary war that Britain lost lol and he pretends to patriotic when he actually isn't that much at all and I pretend to be patriotic about England, it's great fun to kid around like that I love how friendly Americans are and that they want to get to know you, which will be great when I move there as I will feel welcome and make friends maybe easier. I enjoy American tv shows and movies much more than British ones. I could think of more things, but I can't remember what else right now.
    Last edited by vicks5721; November 25, 2014, 05:45 PM.

We are both American, and we grew up in the same town in NY, however, I now live in the south while he is still in the north for the next two months. Although we are in the same country, we are worlds apart. I can say I like the food from "his" world a LOT more than I like the food here. But the people here are SO much nicer! The people In The area he lives are very open about their feelings....some say too honest. Northerners (NY specifically) are very blunt and to the point. It's something people here in Georgia comment about me all the time. I would like to be less direct sometimes, and I think I have accomplished that somewhat. But it's still a work in progress. I like the fact that the people in his area are more "worldly" while the people here don't come across as very educated sometimes (no offense to anyone in the south!). I really like the small town atmosphere here, and I know that will take him some time to get used to, but he will grow to love it as much as I have...
    sigpic

I love him. Forever. And every day after that.

Comment

I loved Turkish food, music etc even before meeting him or even being to Turkey for that matter. Going to Turkey, I fell in love with the country as well as him. I read the newspapers etc so I am not naive to the political and social problems of the country, and how poor lots of people are, still I have learned of aspects of the culture that I really like. They are generous people who value sharing things and helping others. I love the Turkish language for being indirect and polite, and it is fun to learn. The Turks can be very blunt about personal matters even if they dont know you , which I find refreshing (and I am no longer offended about the flip side of it). It is a beautiful and variated country that I would love to do more sightseeing in. I have been much into Turkish upbeat music like Tarkan (which SO hates!), SO also taught me about melancolic music like Grup Yorum.

The Turks are very romantic which I think is sweet (I am so sick of everybody here being ironic), even if I laugh when they put ribbons on boats! The love of soccer /fotball (futbol) is something Turks and Norwegians have in common, and I don't mind watching Turkish with him. I also like Turkish humor like comics, tv etc. To me the concept of selling everything in the same store is very Turkish... Do you want children's books, religious items, kitchen utensils or erotic wear? You only have to go to one store. And I still think it is funny that not only is wine sold in every grocery store, big and small, even in the countryside (for being a Muslim country many Turks sure like their drink...It is really only the bacon that "counts"), but they also make a display with condoms and wine, which to me is very vulgar (in Norway, any type of alcohol commersial is forbidden and we won't display condoms with anything!). I love the outdoor markets. SOs family has their own orange garden which is wonderfully exotic to me to have oranges that fresh in your yard. Even on the airports the bottled orange juice tastes good. I like that Turkey is warmer than our country. I also love the Turkish hammam culture, I go for hammam treatments in Norway as well. I have learned to have tea with everything, even mid summer.
      Last edited by differentcountries; November 26, 2014, 12:53 AM.
      I made love to him only twice, she thought and looked at the man laying asleep beside her. And yet still it is as if we have been together forever, as if he has always known my life, my soul, my body, my light, my pain
      - Paulo Coelho, "Eleven minutes"

"Bız yüzyılın aşkı vardır" - We have dated since Sept. 2013. To see our full story, click here https://members.lovingfromadistance....and-our-visits

Comment

I have to admit that through our media I had a different outlook on America before I met my fiance. I thought that all people ever do there is fight over nothing and kill each other, but now that I have been here a couple times I can say that that is far from true, at least where I have been.
        I love how easy going people are in America and how friendly everyone seems. Yesterday we had the cable guy over and as soon as he came in, it was like having an old friend over. I love how big Christmas is here and all the other holdidays, mostly in his family though so I can't pin that to American culture. I really love how welcome you feel by the people, it's so different to what I am used to. I LOVE bottomless fries and free refills - this was crazy exciting for me the very first time I went to a restaurant here. Every single time I order something to drink I am shocked how much I actually get, but it's awesome because now a "small" drink is more than enough compared to European sizes. The candy here is so different to what I am used to and I keep finding things I have never eaten before and that's always exciting! The whole attitude of living and letting live makes it for a very positive atmosphere and it makes it much easier to be who you really are without having to fear of being judged. I love how much snow we get here compared to Austria and ACs. Like seriously. Get that shit over to Austria. Ever since I have experienced having an AC unit in the room during the summer, I can't imagine NOT having one lol

Relationship began: 05/22/2012
        First Met: 03/21/2013 - 03/30/2013
        Second Visit: 06/06/2013 - 08/21/2013 ~ Proposal: 07/06/2013 ♥
        Third Visit: 10/09/2013 - 01/08/2013
        Closed the distance: 11/20/2014 ♥
        Married: 1/24/2015
        Became Resident: 9/14/2015

Comment

Originally posted by snow View Post
          I have to admit that through our media I had a different outlook on America before I met my fiance. I thought that all people ever do there is fight over nothing and kill each other, but now that I have been here a couple times I can say that that is far from true, at least where I have been.
          I love how easy going people are in America and how friendly everyone seems. Yesterday we had the cable guy over and as soon as he came in, it was like having an old friend over. I love how big Christmas is here and all the other holdidays, mostly in his family though so I can't pin that to American culture. I really love how welcome you feel by the people, it's so different to what I am used to. I LOVE bottomless fries and free refills - this was crazy exciting for me the very first time I went to a restaurant here. Every single time I order something to drink I am shocked how much I actually get, but it's awesome because now a "small" drink is more than enough compared to European sizes. The candy here is so different to what I am used to and I keep finding things I have never eaten before and that's always exciting! The whole attitude of living and letting live makes it for a very positive atmosphere and it makes it much easier to be who you really are without having to fear of being judged. I love how much snow we get here compared to Austria and ACs. Like seriously. Get that shit over to Austria. Ever since I have experienced having an AC unit in the room during the summer, I can't imagine NOT having one lol
          Yeah Americans are more easy going, in Britain people keep to themselves and are generally uptight. I have to agree I love how in America they make a big deal about every Hoilday and they really do think of everything, they even have drive-thru ATMs at banks and you can get everything so easily, my fiance told me some stores are open 24 hours 7 days a week, which is awesome!! I love the fact that American buffets have so much more variety, like I went to a buffet called Golden Corral and it had everything, all kinds of meats, fish and vegetables and salads and a whole collection of desserts and ice cream!! The thing about free refills is truly the best and my fiance told me some places you can get free refills of coffee and tea in America, in England you would have to pay extra for another drink. Also the portion sizes in America are so different, I could order a small meal and they give you more than enough. The candy in America is so much sweeter than in England and there are so many different ones to try, I can't wait to one day visit Disney world and the grand canyon! America has so much more diverse places to see and Minnesota has snow, so Christmas will be white every year! When in England your lucky if you get snow in February or if at all.

Comment

Originally posted by vicks5721 View Post
            Yeah Americans are more easy going, in Britain people keep to themselves and are generally uptight. I have to agree I love how in America they make a big deal about every Hoilday and they really do think of everything, they even have drive-thru ATMs at banks and you can get everything so easily, my fiance told me some stores are open 24 hours 7 days a week, which is awesome!! I love the fact that American buffets have so much more variety, like I went to a buffet called Golden Corral and it had everything, all kinds of meats, fish and vegetables and salads and a whole collection of desserts and ice cream!! The thing about free refills is truly the best and my fiance told me some places you can get free refills of coffee and tea in America, in England you would have to pay extra for another drink. Also the portion sizes in America are so different, I could order a small meal and they give you more than enough. The candy in America is so much sweeter than in England and there are so many different ones to try, I can't wait to one day visit Disney world and the grand canyon! America has so much more diverse places to see and Minnesota has snow, so Christmas will be white every year! When in England your lucky if you get snow in February or if at all.
            The 24/7 stores are only awesome when you're on the receiving end. My fiance works every weekend :/

Relationship began: 05/22/2012
            First Met: 03/21/2013 - 03/30/2013
            Second Visit: 06/06/2013 - 08/21/2013 ~ Proposal: 07/06/2013 ♥
            Third Visit: 10/09/2013 - 01/08/2013
            Closed the distance: 11/20/2014 ♥
            Married: 1/24/2015
            Became Resident: 9/14/2015

Comment

I used to be annoyed that it is fairly difficult to get fast food in Turkey, like in the frozen foods there is no selection, but now I see there is simply no reason to. When SO told me he used to live on take away, I assumed he was unhealthy, but it is actually traditional Turkish food delivered fresh at your door.
              I made love to him only twice, she thought and looked at the man laying asleep beside her. And yet still it is as if we have been together forever, as if he has always known my life, my soul, my body, my light, my pain
              - Paulo Coelho, "Eleven minutes"

"Bız yüzyılın aşkı vardır" - We have dated since Sept. 2013. To see our full story, click here https://members.lovingfromadistance....and-our-visits

Comment

My SO is English

About his culture, I love the sense of humor (Is really clever!), Also I like their tv Shows (Dr.Who, Sherlock etc), the beautiful English forest, their legends, their folk music is so amazing!, the gardens, I love the simplicity on their taste, they doesn´t need to hang a lot of things around their houses to make it look beautiful.
                But the thing I love the most from England, of course, is him.

Comment

I'm still learning more about my s/o's culture, so I don't have much to add to that part of this thread.

I would like to share a particular house from my town, though, for those of you who enjoy how "go big, or go home" the US is. The pictures(clicky clicky) don't quite do it justice, but it's still very...go big, or go home.

Comment

Their great respect for privacy and personal space (which is somewhat lacking where I come from)

Also their shameful attitude towards alcohol consumption, which I find highly amusing
                    I thought of you and the years and all the sadness fell away from me - Pink Floyd

Comment

I fell in love with the Philippine before I met him. I have been there twice (before we met) and I love the people. They are welcoming and loving. I love how basketball is their love language. That's what I like to say anyways. Everywhere you go there is basketball. I love the food and the beautiful beaches of his country. Then I met him and now I have something I love even more than all those things. I love his accent when he speaks English and Tagalog.

Comment

They drive on the left like in my country of origin haha. I've been in the USA a year and a half and I still find it odd to drive on the right. I still have to think carefully about where to drive when I am in an unfamiliar place.

My SO has dual nationality -British/Australian and lives in an British Expat community, so I get both worlds. I love the Aussie and British accent (more so British ). I love British humor and niceties. I have to get used to serving tea and scones etc. whenever we have visitors.

I love the blunt nature of Australians. Initially my SO's bluntness was a bit off-putting, but I have grown to appreciate it. I never have to guess what he's thinking as he just tells it like it is.

I've yet to experience the Aussie summer but I hear it is sweltering hot! I will get a taste of it this Christmas.

I love the fact that I can engage in all sorts of outdoor activities in Australia. I can't wait to explore the Outback. We've already outline a ton of places we want to explore. Hiking will be a weekly activity and I just love that!

Ah, yes...drinking alcohol. I have to get used to how much Brits and Aussies drink. *tumbs down* lol. I'm not a fan of drinking except a bit of wine.
                        Last edited by Petals; December 7, 2014, 09:58 PM.
                        Met Online : July 2013
                        Met in person : April - May 2014 (3 wks)
                        2nd visit : June - August 2014 (2 months)
                        3rd visit : December - Jan (2wks)
                        Proposal : December 2014
                        Closed distance : February 2015
                        Married : April 5, 2015

Comment

My SO is British. I love the food there. There are a lot of food additives that are common in the US but banned in the EU, so the food there really tastes a lot more fresh. Pretty much every restaurant you go to has chips which is amazing. I really miss the Indian food there. I love that even the tiny corner shops seem to have a giant wall each for different kinds of tea, biscuits and crisps. One of my local grocery stores stocks Marmite, Jammie Dodgers, Heinz beans and a bunch of my other British favorites to tide me over, and keep my SO happy while he's here.
                          I love British tv. Sherlock and Dr. Who as mentioned above. The Inbetweeners is incredibly crude but a fantastic show. Luther, The Office, The Mighty Boosh. I also really like a lot of the panel shows like Mock the Week, Nevermind the Buzzcocks, 8 Out of 10 Cats, Would I Lie to You. I love British comedians too- Jimmy Carr, Lee Evans, Frankie Boyle, Rhod Gilbert.
                          The climate there is great as well. It's pretty cold and snowy where I live so the rain and gloom don't bother me. Everything there is always so green- even in the dead of winter.
                          I also like that the cars and houses are smaller than in the US. Granted, they have to be due to there being more people crowded into less space. Yards (gardens) are usually smaller, space just seems to be used more efficiently. Also, garbage and recycling programs are more specialized, public transport is more convenient and pleasant than in my corner of the US, and, oh yeah, the NHS!

Comment

Canada has some good food (Poutine yes!) and a lot less gun violence, also their accents are adorable. All my friends up there (I have befriended all of her friends!) have found jobs even with mental issues, and the housing is more affordable, so I really want to go there because I just can't really DO anything here. I still love my state too though, and she really loves our green chile.
                            Met: Apr 2013
                            Mutual interest: July 2013
                            Relationship Began: November 6 2013
                            First Visit (Her to Me): July 4 2014
                            Second Visit (Me to Her): Jan/Feb 2015 Postponed due to sister having baby
                            Second Visit! (Her to Me again): June 16 2015 - July 4 2015
                            Engaged: June 29 2015 <3
                            Third Visit: (Her to me, working on it) January 19 2016 - February 2 2016

Comment

My SO is also Canadian and I love the country now! I like how nice Canadians are (they are known to say Sorry for everything :P) and I really like hockey! I love the nature here, the mountains, forests, beaches and ocean are so beautiful here in Vancouver. I love Tim Hortons, which you can find at every corner! And I love everything maple, the good sushi here and food like poutine! I really enjoy being here every time I visit

Comment

Working...
                              X