Visa Advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Visa Advice

My partner is from Australia and I am from the U.S. We are going to register for a de facto relationship while I go visit him on a Work and Holiday visa for a year. Our plan is to apply for a partner visa after the 12 months of being in a de facto relationship. I was wondering if anyone has been in the same or a similar situation. What can I expect? What struggles are there when registering for a de facto relationship or partner visa? How is the waiting period on a partner visa? Anything related to this would help.

Thanks! x

Most visa talk happens in this subforum, did you look there? https://members.lovingfromadistance....g-the-Distance

~
    It'll take a lot more than words and guns
    A whole lot more than riches and muscle
    The hands of the many must join as one
    And together we'll cross the river

Comment

I'll be applying for a partner visa for Australia later this year, except it will be based on marriage.

All I will say is that you should ensure that you have shared finances (and the other 3 categories identified in partner booklet) and proof of that from the day you consider yourself de facto. It is just as serious as marriage and your lives should be merged in every way - get joint accounts from day one, joint rental/lease agreement, joint bills, Wills and make each other superannuation beneficiary... You must be able to show 12 months of evidence because even one week or day can result in rejection. Registering the relationship (check that the state he lives in allows this) waives the 12 months living together requirement, but you MUST show that your lives have been merged for a significant period before application. I have a great immigration site that will help you prepare...pm me if interested.
      Met Online : July 2013
      Met in person : April - May 2014 (3 wks)
      2nd visit : June - August 2014 (2 months)
      3rd visit : December - Jan (2wks)
      Proposal : December 2014
      Closed distance : February 2015
      Married : April 5, 2015

Comment

Hi there, I'm an Australian resident here on a defacto visa. The truth is, it's all so varied depending on your situation. If you're planning on registering your relationship to waive the 12 month requirement, make sure you're in a state that allows this. Some do and some don't. Otherwise, you'll have to wait to apply at the end of your WHV.

Make sure you document everything. Tickets, pictures, all the things you do together. Get utility bills put in your name. Merge your lives as much as possible.

The wait time is different for everyone. Depends what office you apply from, how complete your application is, and your circumstances. Mine was approved in...I think it was 3 months which is way quicker than average. But we had a child on the way when we applied so I'm sure that helped

The good thing is that once the application is in, you have full work rights until a decision has been made. So that's quite a step up from the WHV.

Met online: 1/30/11
        Met in person: 5/30/12
        Second visit: 9/12/12
        Closed the distance: 1/26/13!!!

Comment

The cost, time, and amount of information/document it takes to apply for a Partner Visa are some of the very reasons that my SO and I are moving back to America. We've read so much about it, and while it works for some people, we don't exactly have the money or time to do it. So, all I can say is good luck and be patient. I believe the current waiting period is 12-15 months (we have some friends who are in the exact opposite position than us, and that's what they've said).

Comment

Are you registering the relationship before or after you arrive for the year? If it's after, you won't have a full year of de-facto before submitting the application before you leave, I'm not sure how much that matters, but it could be an issue.
            Together since: Feb 23rd 2005.
            First met: June 13th 2006

Comment

Working...
            X