US Citizenship - Native American Canadian

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

US Citizenship - Native American Canadian

Alright, so starting this off: I live in Canada, and he lives in the US.

I'm Native American so I know there's a way to get dual-citizenship or to become a US citizen, but I'm not a hundred percent sure what to do about it, or what exactly the policy is on it, but I know that SO and I want to close the gap in the next year or so. I'm going to be going to Canadian university to try it out and appease my mother, but lately it's not really what I want to do with my life, and I don't feel like it's going to be for me.

I love the US. I went down for a few days (I've always been border-hopping as you can say for a long time, ever since I was a kid since I live so close to it, and I just love it. Even without SO I've always wanted to move down there.)

We've been looking at different ways to go about it, and all I've been able to find is using my Native status to get citizenship, or do the citizenship by marriage kind of thing. I'm really not sure how to go about any of this, so I'm looking for some help from others! Also, I apologize if this is in the wrong forum, I'm still new here.

Any advice at all would be great, especially if there's a situation with Native American backgrounds that can also be helpful.

Thank you!

In this instance, Google is your friend. By Googling Canadian native american us citizenship, and Native American dual citizenship, I found a ton of information.

I've been on this forum for years, and haven't seen any threads regarding this subject, so you'll likely get better, more accurate information by doing the research yourself.

Start by searching The Jay Treaty.
    Our separation of each other is an optical illusion of consciousness. ~Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by Moon View Post
      In this instance, Google is your friend. By Googling Canadian native american us citizenship, and Native American dual citizenship, I found a ton of information.

I've been on this forum for years, and haven't seen any threads regarding this subject, so you'll likely get better, more accurate information by doing the research yourself.

Start by searching The Jay Treaty.
      I'm reading up on it now, (thank you by the way), and from what I can see here I just have to state that I'm moving to the US at the border (ten or so minutes away) and then afterwards get in contact with a USCIS office to go through the procedures?

In your opinion, of seeing other stuff on this site as well as what you've seen regarding this treaty, does it sound easier to do it this way, or another way?

Comment

Sorry, I really don't think we have any members with experience in this matter around (feel free to prove me wrong if you're reading this!). Have a good look around and consult forums and websites on this. Also, if you like, definitely report back later in case someone else reads up on this forum about this later!

~
        It'll take a lot more than words and guns
        A whole lot more than riches and muscle
        The hands of the many must join as one
        And together we'll cross the river

Comment

Originally posted by Miasmata View Post
          Sorry, I really don't think we have any members with experience in this matter around (feel free to prove me wrong if you're reading this!). Have a good look around and consult forums and websites on this. Also, if you like, definitely report back later in case someone else reads up on this forum about this later!
          It's no problem at all! I figured it's always good to check!

Comment

Originally posted by WailFin View Post
            I'm reading up on it now, (thank you by the way), and from what I can see here I just have to state that I'm moving to the US at the border (ten or so minutes away) and then afterwards get in contact with a USCIS office to go through the procedures?

In your opinion, of seeing other stuff on this site as well as what you've seen regarding this treaty, does it sound easier to do it this way, or another way?
            Sorry, I don't know anything about it, I just did a quick Google search. Good luck in your journey though.
            Our separation of each other is an optical illusion of consciousness. ~Albert Einstein

Comment

I don't have experience it the subject either but if you haven't seen the USCIS website it's here: https://canada.usembassy.gov/visas/i...tml#qualifying
              The bottom of the page has a link to USCIS green card (residency) procedures. You can also try calling USCIS during business hours and speak to someone, although I don't know how much info they'll give; the phone number is on their website.
              When two hearts are meant for each other, no distance is too far,
              no time is too long, and no other love can break them apart.

Comment

Unfortunately, I don't have any more information for you than the other post. However, I would say that you should try to find any other way possible (such as the pathways you were looking, student visas, or work visas) before you get married the close the distance. You are extremely young and that is a very permanent solution when there are multiple other ways. Now, there are plenty of people who are married young and they are more than happy and thrilled that they decided to marry. All the more power to them if that's what works for them. If that's what works for you, then great! All that I can say is that many of us have thought we were with "the one" when we were young only to find out that it wasn't the case. I would hate for you to find that out after marrying strictly to get a visa when there are other options you could have taken to get there. Best of luck to you!

Comment

Originally posted by MissingMyDutchLove View Post
                  Unfortunately, I don't have any more information for you than the other post. However, I would say that you should try to find any other way possible (such as the pathways you were looking, student visas, or work visas) before you get married the close the distance. You are extremely young and that is a very permanent solution when there are multiple other ways. Now, there are plenty of people who are married young and they are more than happy and thrilled that they decided to marry. All the more power to them if that's what works for them. If that's what works for you, then great! All that I can say is that many of us have thought we were with "the one" when we were young only to find out that it wasn't the case. I would hate for you to find that out after marrying strictly to get a visa when there are other options you could have taken to get there. Best of luck to you!
                  Thank you for your insight, I really do appreciate it!

I realize that what I'm suggesting is an extremely permanent option not to be looked onto lightly, I just figured I'd get opinions from those here, read some stories and what not before making more plans or getting my heart set on anything.

Comment

Working...
                  X