Is this a stupid idea?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is this a stupid idea?

Okay my SO is a teacher and based on my suggestion he got an interview via Skype and a job at my school. Visa stuff has been going OK thus far but we have hit a bump. He has been teaching with a company that wants to blackmail him into staying so they withheld his last 2 months pay. He now says he doesn't have enough money to fly home get the visa paperwork and interview done. Nothing has been fishy about him thus far in the relationship but sending a large sum of money to a guy I haven't met in person seems like a bad idea. At the same time if it's all on the up and up and he needs the money then this opportunity goes away likely. He said nobody will loan him money because he has been teaching overseas and he is viewed as well off so they won't give him money. So is it crazy to help him or do I trust him. He says he will pay me back as soon as he starts working here in a month.

How long have you been together?

Why does he need to go home to get paperwork- can he not get the documents sent to him by courier? I have to get documents from overseas (3rd world country) ever so often for various official reasons and I have not been back to my home country in 2 yrs. I'm about to get police check from my home country done all through post.

Finally...how much money are we talking about? Can you afford to lose it if you never get it back?
    Last edited by Petals; July 27, 2015, 02:37 AM. Reason: Just noticed that you haven't met in person...uhmm...I wouldn't advise that you send him money.
    Met Online : July 2013
    Met in person : April - May 2014 (3 wks)
    2nd visit : June - August 2014 (2 months)
    3rd visit : December - Jan (2wks)
    Proposal : December 2014
    Closed distance : February 2015
    Married : April 5, 2015

Comment

I would ask the immigration office of your country if then really need him to go back to his home country for an interview. Is there an embassy or similar that are closer?

I find the timing of the interviews a bit strange. I mean at least in my country the school year begins in a few weeks. It sounds to me less likely that he should be able to get his ducks in a row during that time. Will he have time to get everything done?

Also, in this internet age, most likely if he really really has to go you don't have to send him the money, you can simply buy his tickets.
      Last edited by differentcountries; July 27, 2015, 04:47 PM.
      I made love to him only twice, she thought and looked at the man laying asleep beside her. And yet still it is as if we have been together forever, as if he has always known my life, my soul, my body, my light, my pain
      - Paulo Coelho, "Eleven minutes"

"Bız yüzyılın aşkı vardır" - We have dated since Sept. 2013. To see our full story, click here https://members.lovingfromadistance....and-our-visits

Comment

Both of the posts are absolutely true. DO NOT send him money unless you can afford to lose that money. He might be totally legit, but by sending money you have to be 100% aware that you may never see it again. I also am a little suspicious of the fact that he has to fly home to get the visa stuff done. Is he American but just working in the Philippines? I'm a little confused about the way your post says that. If that's the case, I'm pretty sure he doesn't need to come back to the US to get a visa nor does he even need a visa. However, if he is not an American citizen, then there should be an embassy close to where he is that would do all the paperwork/interviews with him. For instance, with a fiance visa, paperwork gets sent to the foreign country where the interview, completion of the paperwork, and physical exams all take place. It could be completely different with his situation, but I'm definitely getting a few red flags without knowing more about the situation.

Comment

Working...
        X