Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Getting worried about US immigration at border/proving ties to home country?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getting worried about US immigration at border/proving ties to home country?

Hey! So I'm planning on heading over to the US to visit the guyfriend and family at the end of October for 5 and a half weeks, and after reading various stories and now my aunt worrying about me, I'm starting to get worried about the immigration/border process!

I used to only go to the US up to 4 weeks per year while I was in school to stay with family (aunt and cousins) who live there, but after graduating last year and not working at the moment, I spent 2.5 weeks there over March/April and 5.5 weeks over June/July. I will have been at home in the UK for just over 3 months by the time I next visit, but I really don't want to risk any issues with officers thinking I might be staying too long.

I know others have mentioned taking documents proving ties to your country such as proof of being in school/job, but since I don't have either of those is there anything I can take? I spend my time helping my dad organise and clean my late grandma's house (she passed away last year and it's a very long process, especially for a big house) and help out family members with errands, so no official paid job. I do pay council tax for where I'm living (which is owned by family & I'm not paying rent) and also have my own car here which insurance and tax is paid for too. What other documents or evidence would be useful to take?

I already have a new ESTA valid, outward and return tickets booked in advance, travel insurance paid for, and will have plenty of cash on me as well as a credit card, debit card and money card. I'm hiring a car for a few weeks while I'm there. Also I've never overstayed my ESTA and always returned home on my return ticket date. I didn't get asked any questions at all last time. Of course I have absolutely no intention of overstaying - I got a little homesick last time missing my pet and family, but still decided to stay the same amount this time since there are a couple of concerts as well as Thanksgiving that we want to attend together.

So, does anyone think I will have issues visiting this time? What (if any) documentation should I bring to prove my ties? Anything else I should know to stop worrying - I just want to look forward to my trip rather than be worried! Thanks to anyone who can help!

Even though you read about bringing documents that would show ties to the home country, I never needed anything other than my return ticket. Even the one time I was questioned a little longer because the time I have been in my home country was only 70 days and not 90, showing them my return ticket was all they needed.

I would say you should be safe, but I would keep the number to your family handy, to have the officers call them to double check, maybe?

Relationship began: 05/22/2012
    First Met: 03/21/2013 - 03/30/2013
    Second Visit: 06/06/2013 - 08/21/2013 ~ Proposal: 07/06/2013 ♥
    Third Visit: 10/09/2013 - 01/08/2013
    Closed the distance: 11/20/2014 ♥
    Married: 1/24/2015
    Became Resident: 9/14/2015

Comment

Thank you, that's good to know from someone who's done it before And it makes me happy to see you successfully closed the distance from your signature, that's amazing!

Comment

Thank you!
        What you can also do, now that I think of it, is print out your I-94s, showing that you have always left the country before your 90 days were up AND you never came back sooner than 90 days of being out of the country - again, showing that you don't plan on staying any longer than planned.

https://i94.cbp.dhs.gov/I94/consent....04g!1305487899 <~ you will need your passport number and your last name

Comment

I've been 2 times so far this year and I'm going again at xmas. I just take my tenancy and any other relevant travel documents. I was so nervous about border control this time as I had to tell them I was visiting my boyfriend and not 'friends and family' like last time. I had my daughter with me and they asked her the same questions even though she couldn't answer them all they just let us though (she is only 7). I was scared because my daughter is a US duel citizen and they often flag parents with out a visa as an overstay risk. But I was fine. They also saw that I always left within my 90 day window, I always have all my return tickets/any bus tickets etc with me to show them if needed.
          Engaged Dec 2015!! Visa approved June 2016 . Married July 18th 2016 <3

Home is where the heart is and my home will always be with my love.
          All the way from England to the USA.

Comment

Thankyou both, that's super-helpful

Travel stresses me out a bit (having some minor health issues due to other life stresses at the moment as well!) so anything other than a seamless journey on the plane & through the airport/immigration area makes me stress even more! Must remember to think positive, look forward to my visit & be happy rather than worried!

Comment

I think lots of people get worried these days as you hear horror stories of all kinds. But it'll be fine.

Comment

You also gotta remember that while most of those horror stories might be true, they are still only a fraction of the experiences people have every day. You just don't hear "Thousands of people making it through border control just fine" on the news. Especially the TSA can be nasty, but not everyone gets unlucky.

~
                It'll take a lot more than words and guns
                A whole lot more than riches and muscle
                The hands of the many must join as one
                And together we'll cross the river

Comment

Always be kind, respectful and short in your answers and remember that these officers are people too!

Don't go on tangents or tell them things they are not asking for, because anything that you might blabber on about might conflict with something they wanted to check - e.g. me saying this was my last summer before starting the working world gave a red flag as they thought I wanted to work in America :P

Comment

Updating this thread as it's still relevant to my issue! Had quite a few questions last time - I think because the flight had been delayed on the ground a couple of hours and I was so tired and hungry, I was a bit shaky and I guess that looked suspicious. After asking the purpose of the visit & if I was bringing gifts, the officer suddenly became very stern and scary, asking if I'd been taking drugs, and then again if I was sure I hadn't taken any. Also when I'd last slept. Then how much money I had on me (I was told $700 for just over 5 weeks was a lot) , how did I get that money if I didn't have a job, who do I live with. It must have taken 5-10 mins but I was so shaken up & just wanted to be done with it! My passport was still stamped same as normal, but will this affect future entries at all? I've never had issues otherwise. Has anyone else had an experience like this before?

I last stayed from the last week of October til the 1st week of December (just over 5 weeks), and wanted to visit again mid-late March for ~4 weeks. It may have to be around the 8th due to extortionate prices in late March due to school holidays. I really want to be there for Easter and 2 of my cousins' birthdays (3rd & 5th of April) I have plenty of money for my stay, will have a return ticket but not sure what other evidence of ties to bring. I can show proof of insurance & tax paid for my car here, but don't currently have a job (and aren't really looking for one but thinking of volunteering or studying here in the UK later in the year), and my home is owned by my dad so I have neither an employer's letter or tenancy agreement. The only bill in my name I have is council tax.

I've been putting off booking my flight due to worrying about this lately - am I being ridiculous or should I hold off the visit?

Comment

It was probably because you were nervous and they pick up on things like that. Plus a lack of sleep doesn't help. I didn't have any issues this time at all, they didn't ask me anything! It was on the way back i had questions. The guy letting me in on the British side was wondering about my daughter and our different names and asked for documentation proving she was mine. I don't travel with out it so it wasn't an issue and it was something I had always expected on other trips.

Comment

Thanks, I appreciate it Hope your journey is going well!

I managed to get a reasonably priced ticket for just before Easter and staying for a month so hoping it all goes well! Flying into JFK this time & hoping it goes smoothly!

Comment

Working...
                        X