USA AND UK relationship

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

USA AND UK relationship

My boyfriend and i are 4,244 miles apart. Were both new to long distance relationships. I love him so much but I'm scared he'll forget about me. Or find someone else.I live in the us and he lives in England. So theres a 5 hour time difference. Anyone else American dating a British guy? Any advice?

I'm British and dating an American guy, we have a 6hr time difference. It's tough at times, especially when he's working day shifts as we barely get to speak, but with a little organisation on both sides it can work well.

Communication is key, make sure you send a good morning text before you go to sleep and if you're out late or up late, text or call him when he wakes up.

Don't be clingy or too needy, stay upbeat and fun and it will be fine. Send him silly photos and keep him updated with what you're up to during the day. Make sure you're not spending your day waiting for him, you need your own life too. Keep yourself busy and dont neglect your friends.

Plan visits too!!! If you haven't already, get your ass over to England! It's nice here, whereabouts in England is he?

Comment

He is in London. I'm planning to visit in March. Its just hard because we are both in University and have jobs as well. What part of the US is he from?

Comment

He's in Chicago. I visited last month and hopefully he should be visiting me in March too. I am in the South West of England, very different to Chicago, and London! It's very quiet and rural where I live, with national parks and beaches. I'm hoping he will love it.

Things will always be difficult. There will always be obstacles. It's how you handle them. We both work two jobs, I have 2 kids that I had to leave behind when I visited and we both have dogs. It wasn't easy but if you are determined and committed, it CAN work.

Comment

I'm sure he'll love it there! I use to live close to Chicago before i moved to TN for school. I know it'll be hard but we can do it. I wish you guys the very best

Comment

I'm in Wales, UK and my SO is in Arizona. 5000 miles apart, 7-8 hour time difference. We are quite lucky in the fact that he has night shifts (or unlucky, in some respects) and as such, we do get quite a lot of time together. I'm a student at uni, he's a full time CO at a detention center. We've been together 7 and a half months so far, and he'll be coming over here to visit me in April 2016. I'm debating on visiting him during Summer 2016. The plan is for me to make the move out there, because I literally have no commitments here, and would far prefer to live over there with him. The plan is also, hopefully and with a bit of luck, to close the distance within the next 3 years. It's a long-haul... but it'll be worth the wait.

Comment

I'm in Scotland and my SO is in Washington and we have an 8 hour time difference and yeah i'm not gonna sugarcoat it it is really hard. I'm at college and she's working full time so we only really get to talk properly once of twice a week since we both need to actually sleep at some point. Some days the distance will get too much and you'll start to wonder if it's really worth it, but believe me it is. you just need to have hope and hold onto that. There are a ton of posts on here that give great advice for international relationships, you should have a look around and see what you can find :3
              my girls <3

Josie (SO)
              Met online ~ 17th August 2017 ~
              Met in person ~ 30th August 2017 ~
              Became official ~ 15th September 2017 ~
              Closed the distance and moved in together! ~ 18th June 2018 ~

Ash
              Met online ~ 21st November 2018 ~
              Met in person ~ 26th November 2018 ~
              Became official ~ 4th December 2018 ~
              All moved in together! ~ 30th May 2019 ~

Comment

Hey

I'm from the US and my SO is from Australia. Not exactly the same place as your SO, but it's still international. I can understand the having job and how it can interfere. My SO and I don't see each other as often as we'd like, but we still make time for each other. I think the key to making things work is communication. It's so important to have, especially in an LDR. It's important to let your SO know if your needs are not being met and what can be done to try and help it. Making time for each other is also important. That can be hard with jobs and school, but sometimes even sending them a message throughout the day letting them know that you're thinking of him can be a good thing.

LDRs are hard, but they are so worth it. It may seem hard at first, but once you get into the rhythm of it, everything won't seem so hard anymore. I agree with everyone, planning visits are important as well. My SO and I are going to visit each other in March. We haven't seen each other for almost a year though, but knowing that we have a plan to see each other again helps me get through each day.

I hope that helps a little

Comment

I'm in the UK (south coast) and he's in Florida We've known each other for over a year and have had 3 visits so far (all me going to see him, though I visit family there at the same time too), & hoping he'll come over to visit in March this year!

I actually just got back today from staying there for 5 weeks, I find it incredibly difficult coming back due to the jetlag-induced 'depression' and missing him on top of that. It was so hard to say goodbye. But after the initial few days/couple of weeks, we can look forward to our next visit and start planning. We use Skype, Whatsapp and Snapchat through the day to stay in touch and also send fun surprises in the mail.

Happy to offer advice, etc for anyone who wants to message me

Comment

Working...
                  X