Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My country vs His country... where to live?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Although Iv'e only been with my SO for a short time we have sort of talked about what we want for our future with who will move. ideally I wanted her to move over here just simply because I like the UK and living here we benefit from free health care and generally a slightly better economy. Also because I'm sort of scared if I move over there the degree i'm doing just now won't really count for anything. I sued to be totally set on staying in scotland forever and never moving but as I get older I'm starting to realise that might not be possible. I like OP idea of living in each others country for 2 years before deciding which one they like better though. It's gonna be a long time before I could ever consider closing the distance especially since I still have 2 years at least left of my degree, One day it'll happen though :3
    my girls <3

Josie (SO)
    Met online ~ 17th August 2017 ~
    Met in person ~ 30th August 2017 ~
    Became official ~ 15th September 2017 ~
    Closed the distance and moved in together! ~ 18th June 2018 ~

Ash
    Met online ~ 21st November 2018 ~
    Met in person ~ 26th November 2018 ~
    Became official ~ 4th December 2018 ~
    All moved in together! ~ 30th May 2019 ~

Comment

Originally posted by staruletto View Post
      Ive been putting thought into this (but it's a long ways off! We haven't even met in person yet) And so far I think me moving to Norway would be best if it gets to that point. He has way more family than I do and I mean....well I'm sure most of the world knows that there's a lot wrong with the US right now. I don't know, I just feel like I'd have an overall more prosperous life there than here. I groom dogs, as long as I can learn the language I'm almost certain I'd have no problem finding a job there as long as it's an area where people have dogs. I've been doing it for 10 years now so I'm pretty damn good at what I do!. Where as here there is probably not much if any opportunity here. The only thing that's really holding me back (which is not a bad thing, I really need to be certain I want to go through with it!) is the lack of dual citizenship and basically having to renounce my US citizenship. Luckily there's no rush and I have plenty of time to think about it. But yeah, in short family and ability to find a job are the two main factors for me.
      yes, there are people living from grooming dogs in Norway too and the market is growing, especially in the bigger cities. You could certainly live from that, but the problem would be visas because you can't get a visa to start your businiss, so then you would have to be especially invited from oneone who owns such a businiss (or marry, get a family reunion visa and start your busuiss once in N.

Just wanted to add that you staying in Norway long term and you changing your citizenship are two different things. There are lots of people living in Norway long term which does not have Norwegian citizenship - the difference being that you can't vote if you are not a citizen. To get a citizenship you need to already have a permanent recidency (usually through work or marriage).
      I made love to him only twice, she thought and looked at the man laying asleep beside her. And yet still it is as if we have been together forever, as if he has always known my life, my soul, my body, my light, my pain
      - Paulo Coelho, "Eleven minutes"

"Bız yüzyılın aşkı vardır" - We have dated since Sept. 2013. To see our full story, click here https://members.lovingfromadistance....and-our-visits

Comment

If you plan to have children and work, I'd stay in Quebec. I mean, you cannot argue with paying less than $200 a month for childcare! It's incredible! I have no idea how much Australians pay, though. I'm just saying words.

Make a pros and cons list for each place! Flip a coin and see how you feel with each result. Listen to your guts.

I myself will be moving down to the USA to be with my S/O. It was an easy choice for us and I was actually the one who first suggested that I should join him there. He has better chances for employment than I do, he has a car and I don't, and his family has a business he'd like to keep running as his father ages. Although I am scared of America and never thought I'd be an American, I'm glad he lives in such a beautiful area of the country and I'm happy to go there. Scared, but happy.

Comment

Hi there! We are currently sort of trying to make the same decision. He is trying to find a job closer to me (in Europe). Since I have specialized in working with people, I can only work in my own country or some English-speaking country. I know only greetings and very basic stuff in Turkish, so it would take me at least 2 years of intensive studies to be working in his country and I really want to get specialty work. So now we are trying to get him settled in my country, although the climate is not so good.

We will see how it goes.

Comment

Working...
          X