Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does anyone else kinda like the distance?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does anyone else kinda like the distance?

I know this may sound a little weird but I kinda like the long distance at the moment. I want to close the distance at some point but now I feel like its a good thing. I feel like I get to know someone better because you have to communicate heavily with them and forces you to really get to know someone. Your not rushing into any of the physical aspects as well. Also I love my space right now. lol

I'm in a semi-LDR right now. My SO is gone about two weeks per month for work. While sometimes it does suck and I do miss him, I honestly don't mind it too much. I've gotten into a pretty good routine, it gives me time to hang out with my girlfriends, and it allows to me make the most of the time we do have together. I would never want to be LD full time again, but this isn't too bad. For now.

Comment

The only reason I've liked LDRs in general is because you learn a lot of your SO's qualities and of their personality. Because they're more challenging, you can learn far more about your partner, on a much deeper level, than you can in a CDR. Well, that's been my experience anyway.

Comment

I've certainly had moments over the past 5+ years when I felt the distance was really getting to me, but overall it really hasn't been so bad at all. I'm three weeks from closing the distance and it's tearing me apart more than the distance ever has.

Like any great relationship, it just gets better and better as the years roll on. - Steve Jobs

Comment

There are parts of it I do like. I think after the disaster of my marriage I needed a relationship where I really got to know someone first. That is the great benefit of an LDR, all you have is communication! Plus with us both going through this, it has in a way proven how much we care for each other as I know I wouldn't do this for someone I half liked! It has also made me build a support network of my own and I've grown enormously in my self-resilience and independence.

I am really fed up of it now BUT if carrying on for the rest of our lives was the only way to be together then I'd still do it.

Comment

I think being a gamer makes it way easier to be in a ldr. You'll always be able to find things to do together. I do like my space as well. It seems like, well for me anyway, when I get in a relationship with someone, no one else exists, I never see friends anymore etc. In a ldr you still end up seeing your friends and family like you always have before. Also, the upcoming opportunities to travel! I never in a million years would've thought I'd have a chance to go to Europe but look at me now, planning a trip. It's all a massive learning experience too, learning how to communicate better, learning about other cultures, languages, etc. That's not to say I wouldn't like to close the distance but I haven't felt so secure in any other relationship, like this is how it's supposed to be.

Comment

I never had an issue with the distance, it was more of an issue closing it. Before when he would be gone I'd see friends, do my own thing and when he was here we'd spend it together. Now its a harder balance between the two

Comment

I kind of have a love/hate relationship with LDRs. There are times I like it, but other times it kills me. Part of me likes it because I am able to do my own thing and learn who I am as an individual. I'm still young and I'm still trying to find myself. It gives me the chance to be independent. I'm able to live my life and do my own things while still having a relationship. Other times, I hate the distance. I miss my SO so much and I feel like I miss out on the important stuff in our relationship. It feels like there's a part of me missing when we're apart. We're still able to talk and see each other, it's just not the same as being together. People always ask me how I do it and how I stay sane with being so far away. I simply take it one day at a time. My SO always tells me that the time apart now is little compared to the time we will have when we're finally together.

Comment

I can only echo what the others have said. LD has its good sides, the communication is great and I do honestly think you get to know each other on a much deeper level first. This makes the times when you are together so much more precious, and passionate! I enjoy having my own space and being able to slob about sometimes, to not have to worry about doing my hair or make up. It's also made me eat more independent and stronger as a person.

I miss him terribly though. It's way harder since we met in person and know exactly what we are missing out on. But I think when we (hopefully) close the distance, we will be so much stronger for it.

Comment

Originally posted by 80anthea View Post
                    There are parts of it I do like. I think after the disaster of my marriage I needed a relationship where I really got to know someone first.

I am really fed up of it now BUT if carrying on for the rest of our lives was the only way to be together then I'd still do it.
                    Me too.

Comment

Working...
                    X