The Hassle of Visits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Hassle of Visits

My SO will be visiting me for the first time in May. He'll be here two months. The problem is we have NO idea where he's going to stay!
    Hotels are expensive. Extended stay hotels aren't any better. My house is occupied with people who aren't comfortable with him staying more than a few nights, but to be honest I don't want him to stay with us because my roommates argue all the time. Awkward!
    So, what's a girl to do?!
    LOG CABINS! I live near a national park that rents out log cabins at decent prices, we can stay there! Yay, problem solved! Right? Wrong. 😑 Indoor plumbing. We need it. And all of the cabins are miles away from the city he'll be job searching in. Oh, he's job searching by the way.
    I'm at a loss here. I don't know where to shack up with my long distance love, and the time is a'tickin'.

Anybody have any ideas?
    Anyone?
    Hello?
    *heeeelp*

This sounds like something that needed to be researched in advance when this was being planned out. Do you have family that you can both stay with? I don't blame you for not wanting to stay with roommates but unless you have family you can stay with I'm all out of ideas.

Comment

He assumed he'd be staying with me, and I assumed he would only be staying for two weeks. He's visiting from Scotland and the only family he has in the states are about 8 hours from me. I'm a full time student so sadly my roommates are my parents. I just don't like to say I live with my parents. But don't judge, I graduate soon lol.
      We've been planning since September, so that's 8 months in advance, but I'm out of ideas and figured I could ask around in case someone here thought of something we didn't.

Comment

I kinda feel that two months is too long for a visit for the first time meeting. What happens if you meet and there is no spark?

Comment

try Airbnb you might find something there you like and is cheaper then a hotel, otherwise there are motels or sometimes you can find apartments that people want occupied while they are gone.

Treasuretrooper <-- how I helped pay for some of my LDR expenses when I was in one.

Comment

I was just going to mention Airbnb haha. But... If you are planning on staying there for such a long time, I would rather go and check the place out.
            I've had an appartment in NY, but it turned out to be in kind of a dodgy area. So better go there and see if everything is alright!

2 months is quite a long time indeed, but if you feel like it's the right thing to do, go for it!!

Comment

2 months is very long for a first visit. SOs first visit to me was a month long. I did a long search and found the best deal I could for a cheap hotel - I did not pay per day, but for the month as a whole, they also gave discount since it was in winter. He had a shared kitchen, but his own bathroom. Money well spent - but I could not have afforded 2 months. Does he have his own money, or do you plan to pay for all of it?

Airbnb works best for stays up to a month, they can be very expensive for as long as 2 months. Most set very high prices per month because they dont rent out that long or they feel it is too much of a responsability.

You could put in an ad, or try to speak to some long term rentals directly to see if you can get some kind of discount due to booking in advance and staying for two whole months.

I assume that he is over from Scotland on a tourist/visitor visa? I understand him wanting to research for a job, but technically you are not allowed to do that on a tourist visa, so if he does it he should be quiet about it.
              I made love to him only twice, she thought and looked at the man laying asleep beside her. And yet still it is as if we have been together forever, as if he has always known my life, my soul, my body, my light, my pain
              - Paulo Coelho, "Eleven minutes"

"Bız yüzyılın aşkı vardır" - We have dated since Sept. 2013. To see our full story, click here https://members.lovingfromadistance....and-our-visits

Comment

I agree with the other ones who said Airbnb. I used it my last stay in Indianapolis. I rented a whole place but maybe he could rent just a room and get it for extremely cheap. Since you live there, you can help him find a place in a good area. I can say for the Airbnb's I've looked at both in IN and NH that longer stays tend to be lower cost overall as they give you a discount.
                To those who dream, nothing is ever far away.

​Distance is to love as wind is to fire. It blows out the little ones and fans the big ones.

Comment

He's paying for the trip, I'm helping where I can. He's job searching but it's more like a job sweep. He wants to know the areas. I've looked at AirBnB actually, and the best prices are over an hour from where our plans are. I told him two months was too long, but it's his money. If I find a good deal then he'll just agree. But I'm running out of options. Hoping something will magically appear. Naive. But who knows.

Comment

Since you're in school, I have to assume you're near a university? There are always people at my university that are subletting because they graduated or are abroad or something. Many people don't find anyone at all, so they are pretty desperate to get something for rent help. Maybe look at facebook groups or other websites for people subletting?

Comment

It's illegal to job search on a visa waver (ESTA) so he should be very careful if that is what he is doing as he could find him self in an awful lot of legal trouble.
                      Engaged Dec 2015!! Visa approved June 2016 . Married July 18th 2016 <3

Home is where the heart is and my home will always be with my love.
                      All the way from England to the USA.

Comment

Originally posted by Ella85 View Post
                        It's illegal to job search on a visa waver (ESTA) so he should be very careful if that is what he is doing as he could find him self in an awful lot of legal trouble.
                        I was just about to post about this, you better let him know about this.
                        my girls <3

Josie (SO)
                        Met online ~ 17th August 2017 ~
                        Met in person ~ 30th August 2017 ~
                        Became official ~ 15th September 2017 ~
                        Closed the distance and moved in together! ~ 18th June 2018 ~

Ash
                        Met online ~ 21st November 2018 ~
                        Met in person ~ 26th November 2018 ~
                        Became official ~ 4th December 2018 ~
                        All moved in together! ~ 30th May 2019 ~

Comment

Working...
                        X