Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Losing Hope :(

Hello Everyone,

I'm happy to find this Forum where I can share me feelings and frustrations with people who are also in LDRs and can judge my situation from a perspective which is similar to mine.

I'm in a LDR since May 2014 with a Taiwanese guy who lives in South Africa. I was quite against the relationship at the beginning but my boyfriend insisted a lot and convinced me to try things with him.

He visits me every 4-5 months and last year we decided to go a step further and introduce each other to our families, which became a disaster to me. When he came to meet my parents things went very well, even though it was difficult to convince my conservative Turkish father. But he respected my decision at the end and accepted him. But when I went to South Africa to meet his parents, things started off nicely but it came out that they didn't like me at all and mostly because of cultural differences. Especially his sister was totally against me she called me rude and fake, I also saw her messaging him that I'm not good enough and my boyfriend deserves better.

And of course it was a big disappointment to me, because he told me that I have to move to Johannesburg to live with him in the future because he can't leave. They have a family business and his parents aren't allowing him to leave the business. And I was going to do this but the dislike his family has to me changed my mind.

Short after I came back to Turkey my father passed away. He was already sick and in need of my and my mother's care, from bathing to changing diapers we were doing all his care for a while. After a few months of my father's death my uncle also died. These events made my troubled brother even worse and he came from Germany where he lives recently for a few times. He is a person with personality disorders and gets violent towards me.

Of course all these bad events killed all my hope and joy. I had to deal with all these funerals and my brother's violence on my own, because I was in a LDR. I feel lonely and very hopeless for a long time. And now and then I tell these to my boyfriend which makes him upset and we end up fighting.

He blames me for exaggerating the issue of his family, told me many times I should try to makes his family like me instead of running away. He is offended that I have no hope and feel lonely. He says for me he is a ghost, I can't appreciate his existence etc.

I'm really tired too depressed to make people who judge me without even knowing me properly, like me. I also want to be able to tell him how I feel, because he is ok me being far away doesn't mean I will feel the same while I need him a lot during such a time.

I really have no idea how to keep my hope up. What are you doing to survive these kind of difficult times when your loved one is away and not able to understand your situation and feelings?

I can't advice anything about the bad situation you are going through since mine is completely different, but I also have problems with my boyfriend understanding my situation and ending up fighting instead of helping.

For me, it helped writing down my feelings and send him an email. Usually we message and call, we don't use email, so I suggested to keep our routine communication (talking about the day and so on during calls) and leave the "heavy things" by email. Writing what you want to say could help you to figure a better way to put it, and him to understand and answer more nicely, since he can think a lot about it too. at the same time you won't lose the daily support (hopefuly it doesnt get awkward).

Don't know if it could work, just an idea

Comment

Hi and welcome!

Sorry you are going through such a hard time I am afraid I don't really have advice for you but a question: has he spoken to his family (other than the sister) and flat out asked them how they feel about you?

All I can share from my experience is that family and friends find it harder to accept my bf and support our relationship because of the great distance we have and the cultural differences and many difficulties it brings to be in an international LDR.

It does sound alarming though that he blames you Do you guys skype regularily or how do you communicate?

I am wishing you all the best and take care of yourself <3

Met: 2006
      Started talking again online: October 2011
      Started "dating": 02/02/2012
      First meeting: July 2012 (6 weeks me to him)
      Second meeting: Christmas 2012 (8 weeks him to me)
      Third meeting: August 2013 (5 weeks me to him)
      Fourth meeting: July 2014 (3 weeks him to me)
      Fifth meeting: New Year's Eve 2014 (8 weeks him to me)
      Sixth meeting: July 2015 (11 weeks him to me)
      Seventh meeting: July 2016 (12 weeks him to me)
      Eigth meeting and getting married: December 2016 (12 weeks him to me)
      Closing the distance almost two years later than we had hoped on November 6th 2017

Comment

I can't really advise much but I'd just like to know you're not alone in this kind of thing.

2016 seems to have been a pretty awful year so far for a lot of people on here, myself included. I have no set date for SO to visit and since Christmas he has lost one of his jobs. Add to that his mum has a serious gambling problem and she is betting away all the rent and bill money, so much so that they now have no tv or internet untill next month which means no FaceTime and no talking on the phone. It's text only which is awful. Plus, my dad went missing a month ago. We have found him but he's had some kind of mental breakdown so I am having to deal with trying to explain to my children in a way they will understand and mopping up the emotional mess my mum is in. And my cat died. All this got way too much for me to cope with and I'm now signed off work with stress and on antidepressants and sleeping pills.

All this has put a big strain on our relationship and recently we have been fighting a lot. I'm hoping it will pass and we will come out of this stronger in the long run but at the moment I can't see it.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help, just wanted you to know there are people out there in the same boat as you that understand and support you.

Comment

I'm so sorry to hear about the loss of your father.

Taiwanese tend to have a collectivist mentality like many Asian culture and are extremely family orientated. Do one thing to piss one of the family member off, and everyone including the extended family would generally be pissed off with you. Asian males also tend to be very yielding and obliging towards their family members, seems like you have a lot of work cut out to impress your prospective mother-in-law.

I guess what you can do is to slowly try to adapt to his family and read up more about the culture and things like that. It's so difficult to love without the approval of your S.O family and its best that you try to be on good terms with them.

Comment

Merhaba,

it is nice to see people from Turkey here. I am sorry to hear about your losses and the struggles you have with your brother. I hope that you have family or friends around you to soothe you in these difficult times.

You don't "have to" anything and neigher does he. I understand it is a family businiss, but if you are going to stay with his family and contribute, you need to fix some things before you do this. I think it is very early, you are still greifing your family members and you need strength to move to another country, especially when his family is not supportive to you. You need to talk it over with him and explain that you are tired and need his support, and if you should plan for you to move to him, you need more visits and time to get better along with his family.

SOs family (in Turkey) like me well enough, but they don't know me that well yet. SOs friends has been sceptical, especially his best female friend - I don't think she likes me very much, but I think at least she sees that I am serious and I am not out to get her.
            I made love to him only twice, she thought and looked at the man laying asleep beside her. And yet still it is as if we have been together forever, as if he has always known my life, my soul, my body, my light, my pain
            - Paulo Coelho, "Eleven minutes"

"Bız yüzyılın aşkı vardır" - We have dated since Sept. 2013. To see our full story, click here https://members.lovingfromadistance....and-our-visits

Comment

Originally posted by 4lom View Post
              I'm so sorry to hear about the loss of your father.

Taiwanese tend to have a collectivist mentality like many Asian culture and are extremely family orientated. Do one thing to piss one of the family member off, and everyone including the extended family would generally be pissed off with you. Asian males also tend to be very yielding and obliging towards their family members, seems like you have a lot of work cut out to impress your prospective mother-in-law.

I guess what you can do is to slowly try to adapt to his family and read up more about the culture and things like that. It's so difficult to love without the approval of your S.O family and its best that you try to be on good terms with them.
              I hate to say it, but this is pretty true. Asians can be pretty toxic to their own family members. If his sister really doesn't like you, it really doesn't surprise me that she'd turn the whole family against you. Family is huge. Like, really huge.

My one older brother isn't fond of my SO at all, for reasons I really don't know. I honestly think he's jealous that my SO has a career and does things with his life, while my brother's boyfriend is lazy and a mooch (almost reminiscent of my ex). And because my brother talked about my SO behind his back, my SO refuses to come visit me as long as my brother and his boyfriend live with us (he hates my brother's bf too). So this caused a rift in my family. They don't understand why he won't come up. Also, my SO felt like the few times he did come up, that my dad didn't really want anything to do with him. But, the case was that my dad still remembers my ex, and my SO didn't really do a good job of trying to get to know my dad. So, my dad doesn't have much of an opinion, except occasionally when my brother talks crap for no reason to make me and my SO look bad (my brother is one of those people that takes happiness in making others miserable, while making himself look good).

My other older brother doesn't have much of an opinion either, but he thinks my SO is better than my ex. He tells me that he hasn't really spent time with him to know (he doesn't live us, he lives with his wife). The only time my other older brother met my SO was at his wedding, and lets face it. My brother and my sister-in-law were too busy running around getting things done. Lol. We did have brunch together after the wedding, and they thought my SO was nice. My mom likes my SO and thinks he's nice. Plus, she's the one I talk to about him the most. So, she hears all the nice things he's done for me, and our fun stories.

The only thing I can really suggest is trying to get to know his family. And maybe, you and your SO really need to have a sit down. You need to tell him everything that's been going on and how you feel, and he needs to listen. He needs to explain to you while he feels he blames you (when, honestly...he really shouldn't). He should also be trying to help the situation by talking to his family and trying to get them to see you in a good light. Find out why his sister thought you were rude and fake. It could also be that she's jealous. I mean, let's face it. Women can't do much in that culture. My dad is still holding out hope I'm going to meet and marry an Asian guy some day. Is she younger? Older? Married? Dating? I just really get the feeling that she's jealous and maybe possessive of her brother, and maybe even feels that you're going to take him away from her.

But, you also need to understand that, unfortunately, the men of the family will do anything for their family. Even sacrificing their own happiness because it's their "duty".
              Last edited by whatruckus; February 15, 2016, 12:16 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X