This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Being International Poses New Challenges for LDR Veteran

So my boyfriend and I have been in a LDR for nearly five years now.
    We started in college, going to schools that were nearly 5 hours away from each other. In the beginning it was tough, but we were both the involved type, and so we quickly fell into routines, planned skype/calls, kept ourselves busy, and survived the four years together. After we graduated this past May, I found a job opportunity in China for a year. The plan was for us both to travel to China and work for a year, however, he was unable to find a job so he stayed behind in the states. We told ourselves that we could do one more year; we knew it would be tough, and different, but we could do it.
    In general, things have still be great and strong for us. I'm more than half way done with my year contract here, and then I plan to go home to him. However, I'm still slightly struggling. We had managed to adjust to a college LDR, one that didn't have different time zones, and where we had similarly flexible schedules. But now, we're dealing with a 14 hour time difference, 7223 miles, completely opposite schedules, and no adjustments whatsoever. I won't be seeing him in person again until the end of June. We're pretty good about communication, but I'm just worried that this type of distances poses all kinds of things that I'm still not sure how to deal with. I fear being a bother or pestering to find times to talk, when we both do lead very independent lives.
    How have others dealt with international LDRs? What advice can you share?
    I'm confident that we will come out of this stronger than ever, I just know the next few months are going to be tough.

Just a closing as well, I'm brand new to this site, and just tickled pink in the support it offers! Love this idea so much, and sending out positive vibes to everyone here! <3
Working...
X