Our story (sort of mediocre)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Our story (sort of mediocre)

Okay, well my name is Sarah and I'm 15, well my boyfriend is Chris and he is 18 (I'll get more to that part in a while..) I met him through my brother, this is the short version hah, any ways, we started dating on November 29th, 2014. But here is the weird thing, we confessed our love for each other a long time before, but never got together. Until now; and I am trying oh so hard to close the distance next year... He lives in the UK and I live in Ohio/US. Yes, he is 18. But I turned 14 a month before we started dating, and he was 17 at the time. I am in a swirl of questions right now, and I'd love some help.

My first concern: would I be able to jump into the workforce in the UK and get a court marriage with him? Or would I have to travel abroad and wait?

2nd: what can I do to keep our flame burning? I feel like it's dimming and I don't want that to happen

Any answers would be appreciated!!
    -Sarah

You're 15, you're not going to the UK.

Comment

Agreed, you're legally a child.

Also, without Parental permission in the UK you can't get married until you're 18 and I can't imagine the UK government giving a work or study visa to an under-18 either.

Comment

Agreed...you need to finish school, get a job, save money and THEN if you still are in a relationship with your so start planning to close the distance.

Comment

Seriously, you are too young to think about moving to the UK and working. Focus on YOU and grow. I doubt you'd even get accepted while this young. My partner wasn't even that far or as young as you and making the move to Canada wasn't gonna happen. She had to do her own thing (get an education and work) before she was even ready to move to another country. Take your time...really.

"True love isn't about being inseparable; it’s about two people being true to each other even when they are separated."
          Married April 18th, 2015!!
          Distance Closed October 4th, 2015!!

Comment

I agree with the other replies here.... maybe this is just in the US, but "finish school" doesn't mean just getting your high school diploma any more. It also means getting a degree from a college/university. 2 yr, 4 yr, vocational, whatever. But you need to get a degree beyond high school.

2016 Goal: Buy a house.
            Progress: Complete!

2017 Goal: Pay off credit card debt
            Progress: Working on it.

Comment

^^ Exactly this. Have something you can use when/if you do end up moving there some day.

"True love isn't about being inseparable; it’s about two people being true to each other even when they are separated."
              Married April 18th, 2015!!
              Distance Closed October 4th, 2015!!

Comment

Hey, you may not realise now but you still have so much growing and changing to do as a person and there's just so much more to see.
                Everyone is right you need to study.
                But there are so many other things too, like getting to know new people, new friends, going through hardships of life, etc.
                Also, what if you change your mind? Or what if he does? What then? It will have much bigger impact on you if you are still there.

And it's not like I am telling you it won't work. I know a ldr couple where the girl was 14 too when it started and they are working just fine. But guess what? She waited till she was 18 to EVEN meet him. You need to keep in mind that you have your own life and the relationship will get harmed a lot if you don't have a full one. No matter how much you love a person, you must always be ready to live on your own and deal with your own life no matter how things go. Nothing is guaranteed.

It's like you want to climb stairs but you also want to skip many crucial steps in a row, will you really be able to climb?

Comment

Welcome to the forum Sarah! I agree with the other posters, you're getting way ahead of yourself here. Especially when talking about marriage on your 15th and what to do to keep the flame burning in the same post... I think you should be a lot more sure of yourself and your relationship before making any such big moves! A lot of people have been long distance for a few years before meeting, and definitely before moving. I'd focus on school, your friends, your hobbies and enjoy talking to your boyfriend for now. Something you can think about is going to the UK for the next step of studies after you finish high school if you still want to at that point, but even that is quite far into the future. But it's really true, just a high school degree won't get you very far.

Comment

Hi there and welcome to LFAD

Let me give you some advice from experience. I was 14 when I met my SO and he was 16. We lived in different countries, so it was hard to meet and be together. We were both also in high school at the time. So we didn't get to meet till about 3 years into our relationship when we were both mature and out of school. We are still together and have been for quite awhile. You're only 15, you still have lots of experiences to go through. Please focus on school and get your education. Don't worry about marriage right now, there's still lots of growing up to do. There is no way that you're going to be able to go to the UK at that age and work. You are still a minor, and that means your parents are in charge of what you can and cannot do; I highly doubt they will let you go.

All I can tell you is that it could be awhile before you guys can meet and be together. Be patient. If it works out, then that will be amazing; if it doesn't work out, you can look back on it as a great experience. Focus on yourself and hobbies and hanging out with friends. You can still have a relationship, but just know you will have to wait awhile before you guys can be together. You're still young, enjoy things while you can.

Best of luck xx

Comment

Welcome to the forum!

I agree with all of the above. I hope we are not scaring you away! You are in an LDR and you are more than welcomed here. We are just concerned about your future as a person first. You are too young true, this doesn't mean that you do not love him. It does mean though that you need to build your future.

Being in a relationship with someone means that you choose that special someone to share your life with. This requires to have a life to share. Make sure you make the life you want, then add anyone in the equation. If this is meant to be, he will stick around, as you will stick around while he will follow his dreams because, what we all know way too well in this forum , all together now! : "Distance means so little when someone means so much!" Good job everyone!

Bottom line, live your life, build YOUR dreams first and if this is the real thing, he will be there to share your lives in the end. England will not go anywhere, neither will Ohio.

Take care and keep us posted!!

Comment

Working...
                      X