We're looking to close the gap!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We're looking to close the gap!

This year my fiance and I are looking to close that 4000+ mile gap and since we're in different countries, that may prove difficult. We need some help with some of the technical stuff.

So far the plan is for me to go visit for about a month around September or November (I tried doing some research and it said I could be in the UK for up to 3 months without a visa). This would be something like a trial travel, where I go visit just to test the waters because I eventually plan to move there and live there. England has a different culture than the U.S does, so I don't want to be in culture shock when I stay there for good, which is why I'm visiting for about a month.
    What are the requirements for a passport and the things I have to do in order to get to England?
    I can handle long flights, those aren't a problem because I've flown to Hawaii before. With the deadline closing in on us though, I would like some advice from those of you who have actually gone through this system.
    As for living in England, I need advice on that as well. What things do I do to become a citizen and can I work while becoming a citizen? The other thing is that my family lives back here in the U.S, so I think I may qualify for dual citizenship so I can go visit them. I'm not sure about all this though. It's a new thing to me and its hard to do research on it when I don't know what I need to be looking for.

visajourney.com
    Our separation of each other is an optical illusion of consciousness. ~Albert Einstein

Comment

I do not have much information about what i am about to post, so you should look into it, if you haven't already bumped into it. I read the other day that since April 2011, the people that enter England, need to have a salary of 35,000 BP in order for them to be a citizen or stay in the country (can't remember correctly). Unless you are a nurse, apparently either there are not enough British nurses or they don't pay well xD

Comment

Most of your questions can be answered by googling

To obtain a US passport you need to fill out paperwork, get some documents ready and pay ~130$, unless you want the bigger book with more pages/a different shipping option/a different kind of book, then it's going to cost more: https://travel.state.gov/content/pas...rts/apply.html
        I heard processing times are up to 3 months, so get this done asap.

To see if you need a visa to enter for a certain amount of time, the UK government has a nifty little tool: https://www.gov.uk/check-uk-visa

Regarding dual citizenship: The US generally has no problem for you to keep your citizenship if you want to take on another, looks like the UK is fine with that too: https://www.gov.uk/dual-citizenship

Relationship began: 05/22/2012
        First Met: 03/21/2013 - 03/30/2013
        Second Visit: 06/06/2013 - 08/21/2013 ~ Proposal: 07/06/2013 ♥
        Third Visit: 10/09/2013 - 01/08/2013
        Closed the distance: 11/20/2014 ♥
        Married: 1/24/2015
        Became Resident: 9/14/2015

Comment

Originally posted by celiathekitty View Post
          As for living in England, I need advice on that as well. What things do I do to become a citizen and can I work while becoming a citizen?
          To become a a citizen in a different country, you usually need to have had recidency there for a while.

I assume you are really asking what gave give you uppertunity to stay beyond 3 months? The usual ways are:
          Studies
          Work
          Marriage and visas related to that, which usually means your spouse have to prove they can support you
          I wonder if England has an uppertunity to stay up to 6 months, but then there is still the challenge of how to support yourself/be supported
          I made love to him only twice, she thought and looked at the man laying asleep beside her. And yet still it is as if we have been together forever, as if he has always known my life, my soul, my body, my light, my pain
          - Paulo Coelho, "Eleven minutes"

"Bız yüzyılın aşkı vardır" - We have dated since Sept. 2013. To see our full story, click here https://members.lovingfromadistance....and-our-visits

Comment

Working...
          X