Huge decision

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Huge decision

I met my partner in 2013 when I moved over to the uk to be a teacher. It was love at first sight. He lived in the room above me in a house share, and after a year we ended up moving in together and getting a place of our own. He told me I was the one, we talked about engagement and marriage. Fast forward to 2015 and my visa expired so I was forced to move back to Canada. The plan was for him to move here and get a visa. He kept stalling so I decided that I would move back to the U.K. Unfortunately some anxiety on my part got in the way and I decided to settle in Canada and get a job and my own apartment. After six months of this, and him visiting in between, I am still not happy here. I've been offered a full time job in the uk who will provide me with a visa, do I go back or do I break up with him because his lack of interest in moving here? I don't know if I can live in the uk forever because my entire life is here, family and friends. But at the same time I'm unhappy without him and my life here sometimes feel empty. Help, do I go back to the uk or stay in Canada and end it with him? I'm not sure if I can stay in the uk forever

This is a sad, but real truth of LDRs - Not all of them work out because not everyone is made for the distance, and not everyone has a desire to move somewhere else. What would you rather do, personally? Give the UK a shot? Play it safe and stay where you are? What would make you happier, personally?

~
    It'll take a lot more than words and guns
    A whole lot more than riches and muscle
    The hands of the many must join as one
    And together we'll cross the river

Comment

You said your visa expired and you were FORCED to move back to Canada. Would you have stayed if your visa didn't expire? You seem to have the perfect opportunity. A guaranteed job and visa in the country your love lives in. Go for it! You don't have to stay there forever. The two of you may end up in an even BETTER place....
      sigpic

I love him. Forever. And every day after that.

Comment

You don't know if you don't try. I'd say go for the job and see what happens. Like Tara said, you could both end up in a better-off position as a result.

Comment

I don't know if I would try with a guy who don't really care. I think the first step is to have a discussion with him about it.

Comment

Well the way I look at it is that you aren't happy in Canada and you were happy in the UK for at least a short amount of time. What's holding you back then? I get the whole leaving your friends and family thing, but what my family keeps reminding me as I prepare to make my own move is that he IS my family. I can also make other friends too. I'm going to miss my family like crazy, but I know deep down that I have to take this chance. I think in your gut you know whether or not this is right for you, you're just looking for confirmation. If I thought my SO was the one, there is NOTHING that would stop me from being there to give us a shot at real happiness.

Comment

you are a little vague as to how your SO would plan to "move to Canada and get a visa". Can people from the UK just move to Cananada if they want to? Dont they need a job? Did he/you guys look into Canada jobs for him at all?

As for you living in the UK, it is a job and a working visa; you are not marrying the job, the country or him. It can be a chance to test out living together even more, perhaps also do something about the things about UK that you dont like.
              I made love to him only twice, she thought and looked at the man laying asleep beside her. And yet still it is as if we have been together forever, as if he has always known my life, my soul, my body, my light, my pain
              - Paulo Coelho, "Eleven minutes"

"Bız yüzyılın aşkı vardır" - We have dated since Sept. 2013. To see our full story, click here https://members.lovingfromadistance....and-our-visits

Comment

Working...
              X