Things are hard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Things are hard

I always hate asking people for relationship advice because it's difficult for people to really understand a long distance relationship. It's very different then you typical relationship. So I'll give some background of my relationship..

My boyfriend lives in the UK and I live near Chicago. I messaged him 2 years ago in July on Facebook because I found his comment on a page hilarious. We talked occasionally and then it slowly started to progress. By December the conversation became a bit different and we began to habe feelings for one another. He then came for a visit last year in April. We had an amazing time. He also came in September, December and just left last week. So he has been here 4 times and I have gone to England once this last April. It's basically drained our bank accounts. I just graduated nursing school and will be taking my test soon though so we can save up. He said he wants to start the visa process for him to move here.

The issue with the relationship is that I have a lot of insecurities. Last November he admitted to cheating on me. It was the worst news of my life. I really struggled with it. Not only that, he told me that was braking it off with her but he didn't and it got a bit messy for a while. So it was honesty but then more lies. I have recovered form it and even forgive him but I can't trust him. People make mistakes though and I understand this. It is very difficult when you are long distance and have nobody. If I was given the opportunity to spend time with a guy I don't know if I would refuse.

Because I have this trust issue though things have gotten worse over the last 2 months. I become depressed and feel sad and accuse him. We fight often and it's unfair to both of us. When he came for a visit we don't fight at all though and it's not because we are ignoring our issues but because we love spending time together. He has become very busy with work latley and his life and a lot of times I feel forgotten about. I feel sad if he goes out drinking and I don't hear form him for a while. Then we argue. How do you get past this???? I even go to counseling for it and it really dosnt help. I read see help books and that dosnt help. I guess I want the relationship to work because we are so compatable but feel as if my emotions are really getting in the way.

Everyone is different with their response to being cheated on. Two of my friends have spouses that cheated on them. After time and working together, they have each been able to make it work. It was very difficult for them to move forward. One couple moved 2,000 miles from where it occured and have flourished. The other couple still live in the same area as the other woman and my friend runs into her occassionaly, which makes it fresh all over again. The trust had to be regained and I don't think either guy was off doing anything on their own for quite awhile. So, it can be done.

I, however, would not get back with someone who cheated. It was a conscious decision to disrespect me and our relationship. Selfishness on one party was put before the person they "love". There is no excuse for me, ever. You cheat, we're done. I deserve better. I don't want to have to re-learn to trust you. You blew it and now you live with the consequences while I move forward with my life and eventually a person who would never do that to me.

You alone can decide if you can really move past this. Don't make your life continually miserable. If you feel like you can really make it work and you both want to put in everything possible and work together, then ok. But if you don't feel like you can really trust him again and make it work, don't feel badly or guilty if you decide to end the relationship. You aren't the one who put the relationship in this position - he is.
    Last edited by R&R; September 1, 2016, 06:23 PM.
    To those who dream, nothing is ever far away.

​Distance is to love as wind is to fire. It blows out the little ones and fans the big ones.

Comment

Sounds like the trust is broken if you're still worrying about this. Like R&R said its up to you. Cheating is a deal breaker in my eyes but you need to decide what you're willing to accept. That also includes what emotions and stress you may feel if you continue this and can't trust. Best of luck!

Comment

NOT that I agree with cheating, but that he lied about breaking it off, is what gets my panties in a bunch...
        Just curious, did you both have the "exclusive" talk before that happened?
        Again, not that its ok to cheat, but if you were not exclusive......

And it is a deal breaker for me and my SO as well. We are not allowed to touch another person sexually. That's are "rule"

Comment

Working...
        X