Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Advice/Opinions Please

Hey all,
    So I'm looking for some advice, preferably from someone in a similar situation. Long story short, next month is our two year online anniversary, and visa issues plus college studies have gotten in the way of us meeting. However, I could go to India for New Year's, and my 26yrold single sister has intimated that she might go with me. Is is advisable for a 19 year old girl with no travel international experience to travel to New Delhi? My sister is kind of the type of person that you cant make firm plans with, as she just wings it, so I might end up having tickets alone. Am I stupid to consider it? I still live at home, and both of my parents would be against it. For those who wonder, I have skyped with this man almost every single day for the last 18 months, so I know he's real. He's also 22. Thanks in advance!
    sigpic

Hi Autumn

I have been to India 3 times now. The first time I met with other volunteers whilst there, the second time I travelled by myself for a week before joining a group tour (where I met my OH) and the third time I holidayed with my OH. Its a tough question to answer as people are so different. For some people India can be daunting at first. When I was there the first time there was another volunteer who really struggled. She was from Utah and had never been abroad before. We were staying in a homestay. She barely ate the food and we used to have to discretely go to the nearby dominos so that she could have something to eat. She didn't even stay for 2 weeks. On a personal level, I love India now but to be honest I didn't like it very much the first time that I was there (OH seems to think that it isn't surprising given where I was living and volunteering). I went back the second time as I had a burning desire to go to Varanasi (which is so amazingly beautiful if you get the chance to go). You may find that you experience a big culture shock - the poverty is truly heartbreaking in some areas (sure you know this already). I found that in Delhi that I got stared at a lot and many people wanted to have their photo taken with me. But one experience that I had in Delhi really stands out for me. I had pre booked a transfer and was waiting for it to arrive outside of Nizamuddin train station. A homeless husband and wife looked like they had had too much to drink and the woman was wacking the man. I was by myself whilst waiting for this taxi. There was a group of women nearby to me and one of them came over to me and said something that I completely didn't understand. She then beckoned for me to go and stand with them whilst this was all going on. This experience of women looking after women really struck a cord with me and I was really grateful. The people in Varanasi were also exceptionally friendly, one person even showing me a spot where I could sit and watch the world go by in peace. It was a different experience travelling only with my OH. Whether it was because I was with him or whether it was because we were somewhere different (we went to Sikkim, Darjeeling and Bandhavgarh national park), but I found that I was suddenly being called Maam all of the time which felt very strange. The lovely thing is that you will have your OH there to guide you along the way.

I really don't mean this in a bad way at all, but from a safety point of view, might be worth having a hotel that you know that you can use as a back up should things not go as planned with your OH (sure that they won't, but always good to have a back up plan). The hotel swati in the Karol bagh area has the comfiest beds that I have slept in in India and amazing showers.

I can talk about India for hours (one of my friends would claim I am obsessed ha ha ha)

Comment

I also meant to say that security at Indira Gandhi airport is very tight. You aren't allowed inside without showing your ticket and passport to an armed guard, so your OH would have to meet you outside of the building (worth knowing incase you get in a panic when you don't see him inside the arrivals bit).

Comment

Thanks for your insight I know it will definitely be a culture shock but he has video chatted as he walks around and shown me his neighborhood so I hope I'm prepared I guess it comes down to me making up my mind.
        sigpic

Comment

That is cool that you have had a tour of the neighbourhood. Are you going to meet his family if you go? I haven't met my OH's family(they live in West Bengal), just his friends.

Comment

I think it might be a good idea to set up a guided tour of the "Golden Triangle". All your hotels are set and you have a driver the whole time. You can spend time in Delhi and see other parts in India. Delhi was very overwhelming for me, it's just.... huge. And while I enjoyed it, I was so glad to see other parts of the country.

(I have traveled quite a bit, mostly through Latin America. Been to India once)

Comment

I haven't even decided if I'm going, much less meeting his family. It would be rather difficult to begin with, since they live more in a southern area of India and not New Delhi. If I did, it would most likely be a very short visit.
              sigpic

Comment

I like your idea and I definitely would want to tour a few places there....I guess it comes down to money, since as a college student I'm obviously not loaded with money. Thanks!
                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                X