Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SO visits soon, more nervous than excited.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SO visits soon, more nervous than excited.

We haven't seen eachother in 7 months- for some people, that's nothing, and I envy and respect your resilience.

For us, it was the longest we've been apart, and I've gotten so used to the routine of my boyfriend living in a tiny screen, that feel that I really can't wrap my head around seeing him in the flesh again. While we are in a relationship, I don't remember how to actually be in one.

I feel numb. I went through some gnarly depression and had a lot of moments of feeling totally alone despite having him, and I feel damaged somehow.
    He keeps talking about how he's so excited and I feel bad because I feel more nervous and stressed. I can't get time off work, so I don't know how to keep him entertained while I'm at work 9-5, and I'm stressing buying tickets for a hotel getaway and figuring out fun stuff for us to do.
    I'm so used to being alone that the prospect of constant company is freaking me out. I know, I should be ecstatic that the person I love is going to be here, and if we end up moving in together obviously you get used to living with another person, but for this visit I'm so anxious, and it's leaking into my long term view of us as well.

Has anyone else felt like this? Did you feel better when you actually saw them at the airport?

It is a different experience having your SO right there with you after a long time. Everyone has a different set of feelings prior to seeing each other - excitement, nervousness, happiness, stress. None of them are wrong or right - they just are. It will be fine when he gets there and you'll be surprised at how easily you fall back into having him around.

I haven't seen my SO in 15 months. I'll see him in just under 2 weeks. He will be working every day but Sunday and Wednesday (the day we are getting married) while I'm there. I'm an adult and can keep myself occupied while he works. He's had to work every time I've visited and I've never had a problem. Your SO is an adult and I'm sure can find things to do on his own. If you're worried, talk to him about it and give him some ideas of things that may be of interest to him in your area. It's going to be fine.
    To those who dream, nothing is ever far away.

​Distance is to love as wind is to fire. It blows out the little ones and fans the big ones.

Comment

15 months, woah. Thankyou for the giant dose of perspective. Congratulations on your marriage (almost!) hoping the next 2 weeks pass quickly for you.

He is an adult, you're right. I need to relax and remember that he's coming for me. I need to calm down and not let this blow up in my head.

Comment

We saw each other over the summer for the first time in 15 months and it was amazing just how quickly (like within 5-mins) it felt normal again. I did have a little bit of anxiety travelling, even though we communicate every day it is different seeing someone in the flesh. However, the relief of getting there and seeing him again wiped away the anxiety.

He also had to work some of the time I was there and it was fine. I pottered around, visited his family etc. He gets to spend some time with you which is the important thing.

Comment

Working...
        X