US vs. Slovakia - Six months together, 1 year apart

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

US vs. Slovakia - Six months together, 1 year apart

I'm trying to keep myself busy lately, distract the mind, look up new ideas. This website obviously popped up, and I'm happy it did. What better way to pass the time than sharing experiences with people going through similar things? I guess I'm just itching to tell the story to someone that will understand, as well as offer advice to those with questions or similar situations.

TLDR: Met Slovakian fiance online. He flew to US twice for me, second time to stay for good. We made a really big mistake in November over two week period, costing me legal trouble and him to get taken by Border Patrol (unintentionally overstayed his ESTA), he wasn't charged luckily, now waiting for my court dates and for his K-1 Visa/601 Waiver process to get him back to US in 1.5 years at the most, hopefully sooner.

IF ANYONE HAS QUESTIONS ABOUT IMMIGRATION OR VISAS OR DEPORTATION OR OVERSTAYS, shoot me a message or comment. I'd love to help you.

I met my fiance (how do you get that little squiggly above the e? :'D) online. At the time, I was in an open relationship with my boyfriend at the time. He was having better luck in the department than I was. It was our last ditch effort to make our relationship work - 4.5 years together and things were starting to "fall apart", per say. I took to the online world, as I always tend to do, while he preferred to explore physically. I don't recommend open relationships to anyone. They can destroy a person.

Unfortunately, in the end, it was my ex-boyfriend that I destroyed. My job is writing - I'm a freelance writer. I have MS and I lost all my physical jobs throughout the last four years after relapses. I decided about a year ago to chase my dream of full-time freelance writing. During this time, I'd just landed a job writing for a hacking website of sorts. It basically had news on anything compute related. Mostly, I loved writing about a place called the dark web.

I met my fiance while researching a conspiracy theory on the dark web. He was at the center of it. When I found the link to his steam, I was running on no sleep, it was 3 AM, and I just wasn't thinking clearly. I added him immediately. I didn't take the time to log out of my personal steam, and even though I realized how stupid I was being for adding a stranger on my real steam with my real name and location, I did it anyway. It was a huge event in my house, my boyfriend at the time and my roommate were there because I kept updating them with the information I'd find. Of course, when I added my fiance, the name he was associated with was the name that every single person talking online about the conspiracy theory would mention at some point. So I told the entire house that I added him.

A couple days later, he accepted my friend request. In the beginning, for the first 8 hours (where we talked non-stop, literally), it was purely about the conspiracy theory. But we had this...crazy connection that I can't even explain. I'd never had conversations like that. It's like that feeling you get when you meet your soulmate, even if it's not physically. Where you feel like you've met this person before. I'm good at researching and reading people. I knew by the time we reached a first name basis that he wasn't from the US - his English was battered at times and I found his associated name on Slovak forums. He tells me that my intelligence is what originally drew him to me (always makes my heart flutter).

When we exchanged names and pictures and moved from Steam to WhatsApp, I told him I had a boyfriend. I also told my boyfriend exactly what was going on. I've never been about the cheating lifestyle. Maybe later, he would deny many details of our break-up, but the important people know what actually happened. I talked non-stop to my fiance, his name is Kubo (Kub <3), for days and days and days. Not a single day went by where we didn't talk. Eventually we moved from texting non-stop to voice chatting on Skype. We'd watch movies together and TV shows and just talk. I fell in love so hard, you guys. I fell so so so hard and so fast.

At the point where I realized there was no going back, I left my boyfriend. Kubo had already applied for ESTA, gotten approved, and was buying the plane ticket to come and see me later that week. The break-up went great in the beginning, my ex seemed relieved, and I immediately told Kub who then asked me out immediately. Of course, I said yes. I already felt like we'd been together so much longer, as bad as it sounds. Fast forward - we got together at the end of May 2017 - it was now the end of August. He and his friend came to stay with me and my roommates (my best friend and her boyfriend) for two weeks. They were the best two weeks of my life. My connection to Kubo physically was exactly how I pictured it. Within hours, we were acting like we'd known each other our entire lives.

I never knew what it meant to kiss someone and feel fireworks before, despite reading about it all the time. I finally know now. I can't even put into words how much I love this boy. After the two weeks, we had to say goodbye. He flew back to Slovakia and we went back to our LDR. Two and a half weeks after that, he came back for good. At least, it was supposed to be. We were so new to everything, we didn't understand how things worked. We also made mistakes - mistakes that would cost us literally everything. I'm paying for them right now. Basically, we spent six months - six amazing months - together physically. He is my life, still.

On my 23rd birthday, the cops showed up at my house. Back in November, we'd been going through a really tough time with my MS bills and the pressure. It's hard to explain. But we screwed up really bad for about a two week period. And it caught up with us, months later. There was a huge mess with his papers, apparently he didn't have any (even longer story). As I'm sitting there, holding his hand for dear life, I'm telling myself "God, this is the last time I'm going to feel this hand." Border Patrol showed up, along with a flurry of other cops. Our house was being searched. We were in a panicked daze, if that makes sense.

I won't go into detail on the legal situation, but it involved computers and theft of some sort. I won't say we're being wrongly accused. We really, really messed up. We were hauled into interrogation, I was told Border Patrol would take him after - the officers and BP were nice enough to let us say goodbye for five minutes. I'd never kissed him harder, I swear to god. I kept thinking... I spent the last six months falling asleep next to him, feeling him all the time, and now... I won't think about it right now. They took him and shipped him up to a county jail four hours away. The officer in charge of the investigation gave me the information on how to get a hold of him and even let me go and visit him.

He's going to be deported any day now. I spend the limb and a half to talk to him through the stupid inmate calling system every day. Funny how this happens when I finally have a REALLY good job (I write for a bigger cyber security website company) with great pay. At least I can afford all the lawyers and fees and fines and costs of living. When we made the mistake, we didn't have any income. It was a struggle and we'd just found out my MS infusions were $2500 a month. So we panicked.

Now, everything is slowly working itself out. Kubo will be deported any day now, but we have a plan and an immigration attorney. In addition to that, I've spent literally 48+ hours researching immigration laws. We're going to have my fiance apply for the K-1 Visa when he's back in Slovakia. After waiting through that process, he'll go into the interview where he'll be found ineligible because he has a 10 year barred entry on the US from getting deported. He'll be able to file the 601 Waiver for extreme hardship, where we'll explain his mistake and my living situation with the MS and other related things, and hopefully get the waiver approved. After that, he'll jump through the rest of the hoops for the K-1 Visa and he'll be on his way back here. We're thinking around a year, maybe 1.5 years at the most.

Luckily, he's not being charged with anything except overstaying his ESTA. I took the full blame for everything (ironically, he tried to do the same for me), because I knew he'd never get back to the US with a criminal charge, or it'd be very unlikely. Not impossible. But unlikely. And now, no matter what happens to me, I look forward to having him back home in however long it takes. <3 In the meantime, if anyone is curious, I'm still not sure what will happen to me. I have (now had) a completely clean record, cooperated, hired an attorney to help. We're hoping I don't get jail time because the court wants money. If I lose my job where I make a lot of money, they won't get that money. My attorney is going to try and recommend tether instead of jail if it comes to that.

I pray every night. I know I made a mistake. I know, I know, I know. I was desperate. We both were. I'm ready to face my punishment. The only thing I care about is getting Kubo back.

I think it might be advisable for you to get ready for your separation to be a lot longer than 1-1.5 years. Visas can drag on longer than that even when everything is all good and set in order. I've heard stories of K-1 visas taking over a year alone. Having a lawyer is a great step, but overstaying a visa and having a record are really tough hurdles to cross. Have you thought about moving to him/a third country after your legal mess is over? Not trying to be a Negative Nancy, but you really didn't set yourself up good and you might be in for a really long haul.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by autumn1790 View Post
      I think it might be advisable for you to get ready for your separation to be a lot longer than 1-1.5 years. Visas can drag on longer than that even when everything is all good and set in order. I've heard stories of K-1 visas taking over a year alone. Having a lawyer is a great step, but overstaying a visa and having a record are really tough hurdles to cross. Have you thought about moving to him/a third country after your legal mess is over? Not trying to be a Negative Nancy, but you really didn't set yourself up good and you might be in for a really long haul.
      The 1.5 years comes from my optimistic side, as it's a faster process for people looking to come from countries that don't have hundreds of immigrants travelling back and forth. Regardless, I have every intention to move over to him in Slovakia when my legal situation is over. No idea how long that'll take, but you know... Lol. You live and learn.

Comment

Wow, what an intense story.........! I'm so sorry that it didn't turn out as well as it could've. I can't imagine how terrifying that would be, to have cops/boarder control in your house..., and all you can think about is the worst possible thing...
        But it's nice to hear you have a plan. I'm hoping the best for both of you.

I was actually extra interested in reading this because I have a kinda similar (original) situation - and you mentioned that if anyone has questions about visas and whatnot, we could ask. sooo I'd love to take you up on that offer : ) My gf lives in Poland (hah, so not far at all from Slovakia; in fact, we crossed into Slovakia for a short time while I was visiting her last summer ); we've been in a relationship for nearly 3 years now, and have visited each other for a total of ~4 months. Eventually, she would like to move here. We think the smoothest way to do that would be through marriage. So where do you start? I'm thinking about getting a lawyer eventually, because from what I've read so far it seems complicated..., but that would be a bit farther down the road because my gf still has to finish up university.
        But at least for now, it would be nice to get a rough idea of what's ahead. Thank you, if you read this

Comment

Working...
        X