Lack of support for LDR?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lack of support for LDR?

Don't get me wrong: I don't need anyone's approval to be with my loved one, but life would be sooo much better if I had some kind of support from the people I have as reference in my life. From the people I love, to say "the only thing that matters is that it makes you happy!" would mean the world to me. Love is love, right? Even if it is thousands of miles away, it doesn't matter! We fell in love for eachother's minds before we even knew what the other looked like, isn't this much more precious?

Still, people are extremely skeptical about LDR, saying things that we know for a fact and that haunts us everyday: "No, we have not met yet", "Yes, I know we have different cultures", "Yes, I know this is difficult". I dont NEED to hear this everytime I tell someone how I love my boyfriend, as I explain he lives in the USA, while I'm in Brazil. I know those things for a fact, I experience them everyday. I know it is difficult, but I also am sure that it's entirely worth it. I am sure that I absolutely love him, in a way I've never loved anyone before, and that I want to spend the rest of my life with him. Still, sometimes we need a bit of encouragement, to be 101% sure that our decision is right, that we are supported, but all I get are skeptical looks and discouraging words. That's why I came here.

I was hoping to find some support for me - for us - in here, from people that understand and that live it everyday/have lived it before. Have you ever had this kind of issue? How did you get over the things people told you?

I'd appreciate every comment, thank you.

This is, sadly, a common issue in LDRs. People don't (want to) understand it. Most people immediately only think the worst, like "she's a scammer", or "she wants a passport only", and things like that.
    Best is to keep your luck with yourself, that is hard, but not as hard as hearing all the clichés every time. My parents and my family don't support my LDR, I have only one friend in my country that does. So, I don't talk about it any more. When my parents got here, my home is full of pics from my son and my ladies (my son is mine, my lady has a daughter that calls me 'dad'). So they know, but they don't comment on it.
    As I said, most people don't understand how beautiful it is to fall in love with someones mind before you actually met. I think it is the most beautiful way to do so. Looks are not that important and that is one of the reasons why an LDR is so beautiful. It also shows how strong love is.
    My advice is to just keep it to yourself. Be happy with your man, but don't get anyone involved. They only drag you down (is my experience).
    Stay strong, you can always vent here, hehe.
    Distance means nothing when someone means everything.

Comment

Thank you for sharing your experience... I'm sorry that you have to deal with that as well, i hope things get better for us soon.

Comment

Thank you. I'm okay, I am used to do things my way and to swimming against the current. But you're not alone in this, as you see.
        Distance means nothing when someone means everything.

Comment

Prove them wrong. If he is who you truely think you will spend the rest of your life with, then do it! Nobody can stop you; Love is love. Once you guys have gone through these stages everything will get a lot easier. People may discourage you now, as they did to my girlfriend & I, but after nearly 4 years we are finally about to close the distance and live together, forever.

Comment

Working...
          X