Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are you learning your SOs first language?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My first language is English, but I am currently learning Egyptian Arabic, his first language and the one in which his family communicates most often, and Modern Arabic, which is used in most media and print. I am using a combination of Pimsleur Egyptian Arabic audio courses, ArabicPod101, Arabic for Dummies, and various phone apps (Drops is my favorite). I feel it is important to learn his first language because I feel that his soul and love for me exist in that language first, even though he translates them for me. He is very sweet about my learning, answering my questions patiently, giving me encouragement, and finding opportunities for me to talk to his family and friends in Arabic. I am really enjoying the learning; I feel it is an activity that we share and it brings us closer together.

Comment

We are both learning each other's first language. (Indonesian and Dutch). For me it is more of a must because her family and friend don't speak English that well.

I use a book of which I enter words and sentences in Anki, and everyday I repeat some of it. Now and then I add some new words

Comment

We are both multi-lingual, my husband speaks 6 languages, I am fluent in 3 and can speak some 4 more. I am currently learning his mother tongue (Portuguese) while he can only say 2-3 words in my native one (Russian). Our major language of communication is French. But as we both can speak other languages, sometimes we are "spritzing" our speech with words in English, Spanish, Italian or German. It's fun!

Comment

I have been learning Turkish which is one of his mother tounges (the other one is Syrian Arabic... maybe later! lol). I have used Babbel.com in addition to local classes. We are a small group of students who want to do the advanced beginner level as a self study group.

My SO is learning Norwegian and is slowly getting better. His pronounciation is good, which is rather surprising since he just learns it from books and online.

We usually communicate in English, sometimes in German and bits of Turkish and Norwegian. My knowledge of Turkish is quite useful in finding out what he means when he speaks English sometimes... I usually speak German or English with bits of Turkish with his family.
          I made love to him only twice, she thought and looked at the man laying asleep beside her. And yet still it is as if we have been together forever, as if he has always known my life, my soul, my body, my light, my pain
          - Paulo Coelho, "Eleven minutes"

"Bız yüzyılın aşkı vardır" - We have dated since Sept. 2013. To see our full story, click here https://members.lovingfromadistance....and-our-visits

Comment

Working...
          X