Hitting an emotional wall

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hitting an emotional wall

So, I was having a video call with SO last night. We hadn't done that for a while (I have a limited data allowance).
    Anyway, we were talking on and off for almost 4 hours. I finally went to bed at 1.40am.
    On the one hand it was amazing, and on the other hand is was sh-t.
    I nearly cried 4 times, and I brought him down at least twice!
    The part that got me the most was when he gestured for me to join him on the sofa. It was so sweet. I was so caught up in the moment, that reality left me briefly. I was ready to go over to him, and then it hit me like a brick wall!
    I couldn't sit beside him, I couldn't touch him, I couldn't be any nearer to him than I was to my laptop.
    It completely threw me emotionally, and I got very depressed. Then he got depressed because I was depressed!
    It was so horrible to witness.
    I know it's par for the course, having times like this, but it doesn't make things any easier.
    I guess I am wondering how others cope with these moments? What can you do to get you out of that pit once you've fallen in, so that you don't ruin the rest of your time together?

(We have no firm plans for our first meeting, as we are both flat broke. SO is unemployed, and I am on Supplementary Welfare whilst I appeal my claim for Disability Allowance.)

Hi there!

I know exactly how you feel and I'm sure a lot of other people on the forum do too. So remember you aren't alone in these emotional blocks

My SO and I met through video games, so we're always playing them together, which closes the distance and makes us feel closer. We don't think about the distance so much, but about how much fun we're having together. This could be an option for the two of you if you like being geeky.

However, that doesn't account for the times you're Skyping/video calling. It can be tough seeing the person you love, but not being able to show them how much you love them with hugs and kisses. We've had similar situation recently, as now we're a year closer to being together. What we try to do is talk about how we're feeling and ways we can try and ease the pain (I know it'll never go away, but you can help it).

We planned a date night. We're going to eat the same meal, watch a movie over Skype and just enjoy each other's company.

I hope you can find a solution soon.

Comment

If there is one thing to keep me sane during a video call and inability to be physically together... It must be this:

Remember, there are many of couples can be together physically but still feel lonely. So many dysfunctional relationships out there where people can sit together in one room but resent the other existence. Just be grateful for connection that you have with your SO now, no matter what. If you can feel his love so does he... Long distance is hard, don't make it harder with all the complain and disappointments because you can't be together.. Yet. Enjoy every second of your quality time with your SO to build more trust and intimacy to each other instead of being sad... Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by lelyta View Post
        If there is one thing to keep me sane during a video call and inability to be physically together... It must be this:

Remember, there are many of couples can be together physically but still feel lonely. So many dysfunctional relationships out there where people can sit together in one room but resent the other existence. Just be grateful for connection that you have with your SO now, no matter what. If you can feel his love so does he... Long distance is hard, don't make it harder with all the complain and disappointments because you can't be together.. Yet. Enjoy every second of your quality time with your SO to build more trust and intimacy to each other instead of being sad... Good luck!
        That is very true, about other couples being stuck in dysfunctional relationships. I know I am so lucky to have my SO. He has done so much for me. He has changed everything for me, for the better. I have never been as happy in my life as I am now, and that is because of him. He was worth waiting for, without a doubt. I guess it's because now I have finally found him that my impatience is coming to the fore! Haha.

Comment

Working...
        X