Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Struggles with religion (Algerian on LDR with foreigner)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Struggles with religion (Algerian on LDR with foreigner)

Hello guys!

Introductions first : I'm from Algeria and I've been on a LDR with my Bf from South Korea for almost 2 years. I'm still a student and have around 3 to 4 years left to graduate med school so closing the distance now isn't that much of a good option ; but we're planning to get married when I graduate... and hopefully move to Europe (cause he wouldn't find a job here in his field and I wouldn't be able to work as a doctor in Korea).

I'm Muslim and my boyfriend has been raised in a Christian family. Both our families aren't totally against our relationship but there's a bit of social pressure especially on my side. Considering I have a little bit of my parents' support I decided to not care that much.

So our biggest struggle is more administrative than anything else :

It's so difficult for an Algerian to marry a foreigner.
    Lots of paperwork. Especially because Islam is considered the official religion in Algeria.

It's more difficult if you're a girl and want to marry a non-Muslim in Algeria : your future husband has to prove he converted to Islam by showing a conversion certificate delivered by an Imam or else you won't be approved the marriage.

I heard lots of girls ask their foreign SOs to get that conversion certificate even by false declaration but I honestly think that if I do that it might be disrespectful to both my boyfriend and to the religion I believe in. So here we are struggling to find a way out.

We considered getting married in Europe but even then our marriage wouldn't be approved in Algeria, so in case we have children they won't be considered Algerian and would have to get VISAs every time we want to visit (same with my SO)... so practically a pain in the ass...

I know we still have a few years to think it through but I'd appreciate any advice you guys can offer.

Hi there! I don’t have any advice (I’m sorry) I don’t know too much about this kind of thing. Although I kind of should since I’m in the same situation. But I wanted to say that if you ever want anyone to talk to you can always talk to me. I hope there is a solution for you. I’m sure someone will answer and give you some good advice. I just didn’t want to ignore you 🙂.

Comment

Originally posted by Mimi123 View Post
      Hi there! I don’t have any advice (I’m sorry) I don’t know too much about this kind of thing. Although I kind of should since I’m in the same situation. But I wanted to say that if you ever want anyone to talk to you can always talk to me. I hope there is a solution for you. I’m sure someone will answer and give you some good advice. I just didn’t want to ignore you ��.
      Thank you so much for your nice words! I wish you the best on your LDR as well ^^

Comment

Hi,
        I have to admit, I have no experience with Algerian law or the rules that follow with being muslim, but this popped in my head:

Wouldn't any of YOUR children (no matter who the father is) be able to get the algerian citizenship because you are their mother and you hold the algerian citizenship? No matter if you're married or not.

Your future husband would not be considered Algerian just because he got married to you anyway, so he going to need a visa every time he visits either way unless you can figure out how to permanently live in Algeria together.
        Last edited by Caro1; October 1, 2018, 12:53 AM.

Comment

Hello there! My SO is Algerian. So we are in the same situation. I really don't have much advice as this is new to me and I'm still learning a lot as well. But hopefully we can learn from each other. Lets get connected.

Comment

Originally posted by Caro1 View Post
            Hi,
            I have to admit, I have no experience with Algerian law or the rules that follow with being muslim, but this popped in my head:

Wouldn't any of YOUR children (no matter who the father is) be able to get the algerian citizenship because you are their mother and you hold the algerian citizenship? No matter if you're married or not.

Your future husband would not be considered Algerian just because he got married to you anyway, so he going to need a visa every time he visits either way unless you can figure out how to permanently live in Algeria together.
            I really wish it was that easy... But laws I know of seem to all make this a difficult task (especially because the algerian party is the girl) I still am positive about wanting to have a future with my current boyfriend but I just wish we would figure out a way to make things easier for us...

Comment

Originally posted by Ship2lady View Post
              Hello there! My SO is Algerian. So we are in the same situation. I really don't have much advice as this is new to me and I'm still learning a lot as well. But hopefully we can learn from each other. Lets get connected.
              Sure I'd love to help in any way!

Comment

Originally posted by Louna View Post
                I really wish it was that easy... But laws I know of seem to all make this a difficult task (especially because the algerian party is the girl) I still am positive about wanting to have a future with my current boyfriend but I just wish we would figure out a way to make things easier for us...
                It seems to be that easy, if you look on the Wikipedia page of algerian nationality law:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Algerian_nationality_law

There is a chapter called "Discrimination against women", where is states the following:

Algeria became a party to the Convention on the Elimination of All Forms of Discrimination Against Women (CEDAW) in 1996, subject to a reservation to CEDAW Article 9(2). Following advocacy by women's rights organizations demanding equal nationality rights for women, a new Nationality Code was enacted on 27 February 2005.[3] Nationality by descent is now granted to a child whose father or mother is an Algerian national. The 2005 reforms grant women and men equal rights to pass nationality to their children and spouses. The revised Code is retroactive. As a result, individuals born to Algerian mothers and foreign fathers before the reform are also considered nationals. Algeria subsequently lifted its reservation to CEDAW Article 9(2) in 2009.

Comment

Originally posted by Caro1 View Post

There is a chapter called "Discrimination against women", where is states the following:

Algeria became a party to the Convention on the Elimination of All Forms of Discrimination Against Women (CEDAW) in 1996, subject to a reservation to CEDAW Article 9(2). Following advocacy by women's rights organizations demanding equal nationality rights for women, a new Nationality Code was enacted on 27 February 2005.[3] Nationality by descent is now granted to a child whose father or mother is an Algerian national. The 2005 reforms grant women and men equal rights to pass nationality to their children and spouses. The revised Code is retroactive. As a result, individuals born to Algerian mothers and foreign fathers before the reform are also considered nationals. Algeria subsequently lifted its reservation to CEDAW Article 9(2) in 2009.
                  Sorry I took so long to reply (exams :'( ).

I really appreciate your help so much! I don't know why I didn't think about checking wikipedia in english, both the Arabic and French articles don't mention that part. I found and read the nationality law after reading the english article and it really is mentionned that since 2005 it's possible and that getting the nationality by marriage is also doable. I feel so light... I know it might sound obvious for you all but having to hear that it's impossible so many times made me believe it and feel almost hopeless.

Thank you so much!

Comment

hi there .. i was going to tell you the same thing .. it is possible to give your children (mine too in sha allah ) the algerian nationality you don't worry .. and about all the rules and stuff you can marry easily in tunisia and it won't take much of time ..BTW im algerian too and my SO is pakistani and whatt coincidence im also in med school hhh .. all the best honey .. i'm here if you want to talk

Comment

Working...
                    X