This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EU Treaty Rights

Things have gotten very...interesting of late!?
    Me and SO talk everyday-a lot. Recently, we have been talking about the possibility of marriage at some point. Not long after we started to talk about it, I got this feeling in the pit of my stomach saying that we should do it-soon. Now I didn't know what to make of this, as I didn't understand what the urgency about it could be. Recently, I found out. Brexit is fast approaching. In March of this year, in fact.
    I am a British Citizen, and my SO is a US citizen. We are both over 18, and free to marry. As a British citizen, I currently have EU Treaty Rights, which means I can apply for my spouse to join me here in Ireland. After march, I will legally be outside of the EU Treaty Rights, even though Ireland is an EU member.
    If in two years time (when I will have been a resident here for 5 years), I applied to become an Irish citizen as well, I would be an EU citizen again, but I would not be entitled to exercise my EU Treaty Rights in Ireland itself. Moving is not a realistic option for me, as I am enduring court proceedings regarding my youngest daughter, who was born here in Ireland.
    Now, of course we don't have to go this route, but given our respective situations (me having been recently granted Disability Allowance, and him being unemployed for 4+ years, but trying to find work), it makes sense to me for a lot of reasons. He would be free to go back to the US and see family as and when he wanted, and he would be free to seek employment here too.
    As it happens, I do know of a job vacancy over here, but that is another matter entirely...
    I realise that it is a HUGE thing to be thinking of, and of course there are no guarantees. This is a decision we will make together, but the initial green light has to come from him. His life will be the one that will change the most, and I am very aware of that. At the same time, I also think it would be an opportunity for him. I know he is unhappy where he is, and certainly with his situation as it stands over there. He has no regular income, and no savings. He doesn't get welfare of any sort. He is mainly reliant on his family to support him financially, which he hates. He wants financial independence, at the very least. If he comes here, that is a possibility for him. Initially, I will have to support him, which I don't mind. I think I can do it on the income that I get, and I have another entitlement yet to apply for which would give me another 330 euro a month.
    Neither of us are the kind to spend large amounts of money, and will do things ourselves whenever possible to save costs. I believe we could do it, and I am certainly willing to try.

I guess the reason I am posting this to see what others think of the idea?
    If this option was available to you, would you go for it, or even consider it?

Having done further research, this won't be possible for us. The processing takes 6 months, by which point Brexit will have happened, and so I won't be classed as an EU citizen anymore.
    I have blogged about this too.

Comment

According to your signature, you have not met yet and haven't known him for a year yet either. So, I would not suggest getting married when you are with someone you have never ever met. It might work but you do not know how it will be in real life even if you skyped or facetimed. Marriage is a serious thing. You need to think about it for the good reason.
      - I'll be waiting for you -

Started talking: December 2015
      First meeting: December 2016
      Second meeting: May 2017 - August 2017
      Third meeting: Septembre 2017 - January 2018
      Engaged: December 2017
      Fourth meeting: May 2018 - August 2018
      Fifth visit: December 2019
      Wedding: September 2019

Comment

We would have met before we married, I had given it a lot of thought. Not that any of that matters now anyway, as I said. It's all null and void.
        Loving somebody so much that you want to spend the rest of your life with them is a good reason to me.

Comment

Working...
        X