Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Your thoughts? Wearing SO's cultural clothes

Hey guys,
    What do you think about wearing clothes, jewelry, icons, etc from your SO's culture (if you are not from the same culture)? Would you/do you? Would your SO or anyone in their culture see it as cultural appropriation?
    Yes!
    100.00%
    No.
    0.00%
    sigpic

I would, depending on what it is and how comfortable my s/o would be about it.
    For instance, my ex from Belfast would try to teach me Gaelic, and freely used Gaelic in conversation. My ex from Edinburgh, on the other hand, didn't want me using Scots Gaelic and wouldn't really use it when talking to me, because I'm not Scottish.

Comment

Have you and your SO discussed wearing certain things, or is this just a hypothetical question?

Comment

Originally posted by Redheart14 View Post
        Have you and your SO discussed wearing certain things, or is this just a hypothetical question?
        My SO sees no problem with me wearing Indian clothes and jewelry. I think he even fancies it. His one friend that I talk to once in awhile also always says he's happy to see me wearing Indian attire. However, I just can't shake the awkward feeling, especially when we go to eg an Indian restaurant and I'm the only white person there in Indian clothing. (SO doesn't even wear traditional clothes.) I wonder if someone will be offended, like those who took offense at the girl who wore a traditional Chinese dress to prom. Just looking for some outside insight
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by autumn1790 View Post
          My SO sees no problem with me wearing Indian clothes and jewelry. I think he even fancies it. His one friend that I talk to once in awhile also always says he's happy to see me wearing Indian attire. However, I just can't shake the awkward feeling, especially when we go to eg an Indian restaurant and I'm the only white person there in Indian clothing. (SO doesn't even wear traditional clothes.) I wonder if someone will be offended, like those who took offense at the girl who wore a traditional Chinese dress to prom. Just looking for some outside insight
          Appropriation can be a touchy subject, so I understand feeling awkward. I think the important bit here is giving the respect and attention to the cultural history and context behind the items you would be wearing. If it's just fashion, there's not much more to it; if it's something symbolic or traditional, it would be important to understand when and why those things are worn (which also means understanding when/how NOT to wear or use those things). It's all about respect in a lot of cases, and with you having a direct line to the culture, you should be able to discuss with your SO what kinds of things would make him (and perhaps others) uncomfortable and what you need to know before adopting any of his cultural garments.
          Canadian permanent residence APPROVED!
          Closed the Distance: 09/26/2019
          Engaged: 09/26/2020

Comment

My OH has bought me a sari. I have told him that I would only wear it in India. Part of it still needs to be tailored anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by autumn1790 View Post
              For Diwali, a coworker of mine brought a lot of kurtas to work and asked all of us to wear one and she was SO excited that we did! I really think it depends on how you treat it!

Relationship began: 05/22/2012
              First Met: 03/21/2013 - 03/30/2013
              Second Visit: 06/06/2013 - 08/21/2013 ~ Proposal: 07/06/2013 ♥
              Third Visit: 10/09/2013 - 01/08/2013
              Closed the distance: 11/20/2014 ♥
              Married: 1/24/2015
              Became Resident: 9/14/2015

Comment

I would totally wear something from SOs country Turkey, if I felt comfortable with it. I often buy clothes when I am there. Sometimes his family react to my clothes, but I dont think it is because they think I should not wear it as I am not Turkish, I think it is more that they see those clothes as posh and they are more country people - like, I will show too much skin for the country side. If I cover up and especially wear warm clothes, they see that as more country and then I am accepted. I think they prefer me to wear everything like they do!

My SO once wore a Norwegian flag ornament on our national day, I thought that was cool.
                I made love to him only twice, she thought and looked at the man laying asleep beside her. And yet still it is as if we have been together forever, as if he has always known my life, my soul, my body, my light, my pain
                - Paulo Coelho, "Eleven minutes"

"Bız yüzyılın aşkı vardır" - We have dated since Sept. 2013. To see our full story, click here https://members.lovingfromadistance....and-our-visits

Comment

I think it'd look awkward for me to wear traditional Ghanian attire. I'm pale as it is and in my opinion, it looks better on them.

Comment

I've actually been thinking about this for a while. I LOVE how a dirndl looks. And I really can't wait to try it out at some point.

But I'd only wear it if I were attending an event that is themed as such and where I'd stand out too much in ordinary clothes. I'd never create such occasion myself or wear it in other cases, it'd just feel wrong. Maybe I'd change my mind if I actually moved there to live but can't think with that mindset now.

Well the prices do decrease the appeal as well slightly

Comment

Working...
                    X