Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SO has mental problems.

Hi everybody

So the last thing I posted was that my boyfriend broke up with me because of a missunderstanding.
    He was talking nonsense about me playing games, that he knew what game it played and how it allmost worked and that he didn't know me at all and didn't want to speak with me again. I freaked out. He blocked me on Facebook/Instagram...

At night he called me and he didn't remember a thing. This happens every 2 days. So I get dumped every 2 days. This situation is making me sick to the point I had to go to the doctor yesterday because I can't eat and sleep anymore. I talked to my doctor about it and he said it sounds like a paranoid psychosis.

So this morning it happened again. He texted me and I texted back ( I woke up from the sound of my phone) at 6am. He freaked out and asked me why I was awake because I normally wake up 7am. It's these little things that are a trigger for him. So he started telling me that he wants to break up, never going to visit me again and has thrown all our pictures in the trash. I don't even respond to him anymore.

This situation is ruining our whole relationship and I am so sick from being nervous and stressed out.

Any people with experience with partners with mental problems? Any advice?

Other People's Mental Health is not your problem. I would recommend you cut contact and block him.

Only he can help himself and you don't need to be drug down by him.

Comment

If he won't seek professional help for himself, there's not much you can do I'm afraid.
      It has to come from him. He has to want to get better for himself, but that won't happen unless he sees someone. You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink. If his behaviour is causing you problems, then I would agree that is it probably for the best to let go. You have to care for yourself too.

Comment

Caring for someone with mental health issues is hard enough when they are seeking help. If they are unwilling to get help it becomes a massive drain on you. You need to ask yourself if you are willing to go through this. If it’s making you feel like this now, you owe it to yourself to do what you feel is best for you. If you fall down in a screaming heap, you won’t be able to help anyone. Have you suggested he see someone? Does he know he is impacting on your health?

Comment

Hi everyone

Thank you for your reactions and advice. I went offline for a couple of days to clear my mind.

I talked a lot with my SO, my friends and family. I realize that I have to put myself first. My SO is willing to go to the doctor for help. I think we both need some time for ourselves and we decided to have less contact. He also bought his ticket for Belgium a couple of weeks ago. Normally he was coming over in 11 days. At this point, I don't know if we are going to see eachother then.

I don't know where this is going. We had a great relationship and that makes it so hard to let go. My only hope at the moment is that this problem goes as fast as it came.

Comment

You do have to put yourself first. Glad he is going to seek help.

Comment

Personally I think the best idea would be breaking up. This doesn't seem like a healthy relationship at all amd it's ruining your health. If he is mentally ill I really hope he goes seek for help but you don't have to suffer because of him especially if he isn't willing to ask for professional help.

Comment

It sounds like there are some unhealthy things going on in this relationship, with your partner's double standards of expecting you to be able to take their call and then chastising you for doing so; walking on eggshells in any relationship is a sign that things are unhealthy. I would encourage you to review the checklist on LoveIsRespect's website, and to consider where your relationship falls on the spectrum. Keep us posted!

Comment

An update.

He went and found help that fitted him and since then everything is going well.
                  He came to visit me, we had a perfect weekend together. We went for diner with my family, visited a festival, enjoyed eachother,...
                  It seems that everything is going well now. And I will be visiting him in about 16 days.

I stay alert. But for now, after almost breaking up, I am enjoying our relationship again.

Thank you everyone for the advice and kind words!

Comment

Working...
                  X