Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Travelling/Meeting

Hi everyone!

I've booked flights to Tunisia with my mum to visit my SO. And I'm VERYYYYYY NERVOUS. I've never been on a plane before and I have extreme anxiety about travelling on a plane. I have emetophobia which is the fear of vomiting and I also have a little bit of anxiety about the plane (kind of like what people who have flight phobias have). The doctor has given me some anxiety meds. I mean I'm nervous about everything! I'm nervous about leaving the UK. I've never been abroad before. And I'm nervous to meet my SO. I really didn't know I would feel like this. I keep thinking to myself am I crazy for doing this? What am I doing? What if we don't get on? Am I crazy for going all this way for someone I've never met? I'm also worried I won't get on the plane. I don't want to let my SO down. Has anyone had a similar experience? Any advice? I guess this is a real eye-opener. I'm learning every day.

First things first. Take a deep breath. Take a few. Then you can prepare.

When I went for my first visit I took paperwork showing my ties to Ireland, bank statements to show my income, tenancy to show my address in Ireland. I also took medical letters to show that I was engaging with services for my mental health.
    It was my first flight to the US. I had never done a long haul flight or a connection. I knew I was going out to a desert (first time for that too), and meeting my SO for the first time. I was very nervous and anxious too, but I was fine. I got there, and he was waiting for me. We got on very well and he took great care of me. I enjoyed myself so much that I proposed to him a week after I got back home!

You'll be fine. But even if anything does happen, you won't be alone. You'll have your mum. Good luck!

Comment

Thanks for replying! Yeah I'm doing relaxation every day. I'm learning new things about this long-distance thing. I guess that's a good thing. It's an experience, to say the least.

Comment

Just try to relax and breathe! Flying isn't so bad, and you get used to it pretty quickly when in an LDR. It is an experience in all of it's own. Plane rides are pretty smooth. Depending on the airline, there's usually some sort of entertainment on the plane, such as movies or music to keep you busy. The Captain of the aircraft will usually welcome you over the speakers, tell you about the current time and weather in the UK, and tell you what to expect during the flight, then when you get over to Tunisia, the Captain will thank you for flying with them, and tell you the time and weather in Tunisia. Sometimes it's quiet on the plane, other times you hear a lot of chatter.

Comment

Hi there

I think the emotions you feel are pretty normal before going somewhere the first time. That your mother comes with you could be a big help though, so no matter what happens, you won't be alone in a foreign country. Yet it also can be perfectly fine and the fun and great experience you and your partner dream of

To the flying, the biggest parts are the take off and the landing. In between it is similar to riding a train and not much happens. A good thing is really keep yourself busy with talking to your mum, enjoying the on board entertainment and also to stay hydrated. You are allowed to take a small empty bottle into the plane that can be refilled by the flight attendants and then you don't have to wait til they come around again Besides that just try to stay calm, enjoy the new experience and don't worry too much in advance.

When meeting my partner for the first time I flew alone and even had a stopover in another country in between. I was nervous and excited the same time, eventually it all falls into place though and turns into the fun traveling is with seeing new things, getting to know and see new cultures and what counts the most meeting your loved One where you are going That is like the most amazing dream come true!

Comment

When is the flight? Easyjet do a course for nervous fliers that is apparently really effective. I don't think it's cheap (think £190) but could be worth it in the end, especially if you are in a LDR.

It's also perfectly normal to be nervous before meeting for the first time. I was nervous meeting my OH for the first time since we had started dating and I had met him before. He was asking if I was worried he wouldn't be at the airport (he ended up stuck due to roadworks or something so was late). It had never entered my head that he wouldnt turn up. My biggest worry has been that we wouldn't have anything to speak about and that he would end up feeling like my tour guide (needless worry, especially seeing as we were speaking daily for hours). Luckily I only started worrying about it on my first flight. I then told myself I would think about it on the second flight and luckily by that stage I was so tired that I fell asleep on the plane.

Take lots of pics when you are together as these will help you to get through the time between visits (it would be so nice if your mum could capture the moment you see each other for the first time). Have a fantastic time!

Comment

Meant to also add, he might be also feeling nervous too, especially as he will want to make a good impression on your mum too x

Comment

Working...
              X