New to LDR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New to LDR

I've known the person I'm in a LDR with for over a year now, and this is our 8th month of dating. We see each other as much as we can, but it's usually every 3-4 months for 1-2 weeks.

When we first started dating he expressed his interest in going back to college in the UK where he lives. I feel like at first I was ok with this decision, but the more time we spend the more I realize I'm not sure I want to wait another 2.5 years to start a life and a family with someone. I've struggled a lot with the long distance, especially lately. And because of that I've changed into someone I don't like. I'm nit picking at things I wouldn't usually care about such as spending time with friends, and him forgetting to send me a good morning/goodnight text. I'm becoming frustrated with myself and him frustrated with me because I am not this type of person but I'm frustrated with not being able to really have any say in how long we have to wait to move the relationship forward.

I'm struggling a lot with the fact that I can't physically be with him and I miss the physical connection a lot, more than I realized I would. And it's all just getting me really frustrated.

He deals with it all so much better than I do, he says he's used to it because of his military background as well as his understanding of how it would be because of the distance. But my mind often resorts to it just must mean he doesn't care as much (as silly as that sounds).

Was hoping that there are others who could offer some advice in how to accept and be ok with the distance.

Your post sounds like something my fiance would've written. He is really struggling with the distance lately, alongside a number of other things. I do worry that he will say he wants to break up because he can't deal anymore, but I'm praying he won't.
    I've done long distance before when I was a teen, and it was hard, but we saw each other fairly often as we were in the same country. Can't do that this time round, as we're on different continents. He's never done long distance, so this is all new to him.

In terms of advice, I'd say to keep reminding yourself of the good times you have together, and how much you love each other. I look at conversations we've had, and I gaze at his photos. I listen to a playlist of songs he's sent me in our time together too. They all help me to feel closer to him. I send him care packages as well, and occasionally buy him gifts too.
    It isn't easy, but you have to remember the distance is the enemy, not your partner. He is struggling too, even if he is more used to this way of things.

Comment

Working...
    X