Coming out to parents..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Coming out to parents..

I think I may have just gone about telling my mum I'm bi the wrong way.

She asked if it was "that girl in Canada is she gay too?" I was like no, she's like me, she will go either way really. And mum's just like "Well good thing she's in Canada." I couldn't very well say we are together...

My mum has never EVER said anything hurtful, she is the most fun understanding person I know. But she said some means things tonight. She said it's not right, this isn't what she wanted. My stepdad on the other hand said oh that's fine. And he's going to be a big support here I think.

But I can hear my mum crying now. And I'm just scared I've hurt her. She's my best friend and I really need advice on what to do here.

I've always thought it is selfish of people to get upset over it. While I understand why they do, it isn't like this is what you wanted for yourself. It's just how it is. I'm sorry she is unsupportive at the moment, but I imagine she just needs some time to process it and will come around. Even if she doesn't agree with it, you are her daughter and she isn't going to stop loving you just like that. Maybe with your stepdad being understanding he will talk some sense into your mom and help her accept it. I can't say I know what you are going through, I'm sure it must be hard but keep your chin up and it will be okay.

Comment

Originally posted by snow_girl View Post
      I've always thought it is selfish of people to get upset over it. While I understand why they do, it isn't like this is what you wanted for yourself. It's just how it is. I'm sorry she is unsupportive at the moment, but I imagine she just needs some time to process it and will come around. Even if she doesn't agree with it, you are her daughter and she isn't going to stop loving you just like that. Maybe with your stepdad being understanding he will talk some sense into your mom and help her accept it. I can't say I know what you are going through, I'm sure it must be hard but keep your chin up and it will be okay.
      That's what I said to her... I said I didn't do this on purpose, if I could choose Mum I doubt I would choose this for myself.

I think her reaction scared me more than anything because of the fact that she said things that kinda hurt. She did say she will get used to the idea she just needs time to get my head around it. I think I'm just scared that my relationship with her will change. I will keep my chin up, done crying now. The only awkward part is I'm working in an office with her every day for the next few weeks and I don't know why I blurted it out now.

Comment

Try as much to not act different around her, you aren't the one that should feel awkward. When you see her say Hi like you normally would. Show her that just because she knows this bit of info it doesn't mean you are a different person. Fake it, till you make it. Even if it is awkward, act like it's not until you don't know the difference anymore. She needs to see you are still the lovely daughter you were two days ago.

Comment

well unforchuntly some parents set too high of standards for there kids, and if one little thing is off they get upset. just give her some time and she'll get over it, its nothing you can change about yourself as you were born that way so im gonna be blunt about this....she's gonna have to suck it up and deal with it

Comment

Okay I talked with my mum tonight. We both cried a lot and I explained I was scared of losing the relationship we've always had because she is like my best friend. I think her main issue is she doesn't understand how it changes from normal friendship into other territory and I don't even know how to explain it to her. It just happened. She's also worried I'll never have kids I think but then she was worried she's pressuring her dreams onto me and that it's my life she won't change it and she will come to accept. She doesn't know I am in a relationship with this girl but she does know there is a thing going on between us and I think for now that's all she can handle. I'm thankful that's she accepted this much and she has said she is open minded with anyone but her own kids. It doesn't bother her otherwise, she has friends that are and she's not sure why this bothers her so much.

It was just a shock I guess and I'm happy she's ready to accept it. I was just scared for a while there...

Comment

Working...
            X